Designers' Response to the Desperation Morale Review of Forgotten War

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
...but how many others have jobs or advanced education specific to this area?
Paul Works one of the design team works for the US Army, and has done so for a long time, in various research type assignments, and is currently at TRADOC, last I knew. He would qualify under your "have jobs" rubric. Tom Meier, one could classify as just outside the top tier level designer for FW, worked along side Paul at the time of develop and those two worked in the same offices/job type slots. Rick Mckown, a retired Royal Canadian Navy officer is a subject matter expert in the PLA, to include the PLA of Korean War era, and would qualify under your "advanced education." So there were a few such types..

Edit. I was remiss and failed to include Michael Dorosh in the above computation, see post 86 for his bonafides.

Last edited:

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And, sadly, historians do not make IT money.
Sadly, I discovered this when I graduated. Ended up going back to RN school. I was amazed at how much I could apply 20th century historical knowledge to relate to patients. Patients were generally delighted that I knew something about the times they lived in. History education is lacking in the USA.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Paul Works one of the design team works for the US Army, and has done so for a long time, in various research type assignments, and is currently at TRADOC, last I knew. He would qualify under your "have jobs" rubric. Tom Meier, one could classify as just outside the top tier level designer for FW, worked along side Paul at the time of develop and those two worked in the same offices/job type slots. Rick Mckown, a retired Royal Canadian Navy officer is a subject matter expert in the PLA, to include the PLA of Korean War era, and would qualify under your "advanced education." So there were a few such types..
My degrees are in history (with an emphasis on Canadian military history) and communications, which I have to believe helped in proofing the Canadian vehicle notes...

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Edit. I was remiss and failed to include Michael Dorosh in the above computation, see post 86 for his bonafides.
Not at all, I was just a happy helper. One doesn't need post-secondary education to work on ASL projects, but it's telling just how many of us here have had the opportunity to reach that level of education. You need a BA to work for UPS as a driver, maybe they will start making it a requirement for reading the ASLRB....

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Sadly, I discovered this when I graduated. Ended up going back to RN school. I was amazed at how much I could apply 20th century historical knowledge to relate to patients. Patients were generally delighted that I knew something about the times they lived in. History education is lacking in the USA.
In talking to World War II veterans, I found they often opened up much more if you made it clear you had a little bit of understanding of the culture of the times, usually demonstrated by using their own terminology for things. If you showed that you knew TEWT meant Tactical Exercise Without Troops (i.e. sand-table or map ex), or that SOS was "Struck off Strength", they were much more comfortable sharing things and assumed you would have an ability to understand their memories a little better.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not at all, I was just a happy helper. One doesn't need post-secondary education to work on ASL projects, but it's telling just how many of us here have had the opportunity to reach that level of education. You need a BA to work for UPS as a driver, maybe they will start making it a requirement for reading the ASLRB....
HA! I feel my education and professional career makes me comfortable with the ASLRB. An Architect designing one of the most regulated building types in the country. Hospitals in California. The ASLRB is very similar to a building code.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You mean the CA Building Code also has lengthy errata too? Who knew... Do they have an equivalent of Perry-Sez too?

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You mean the CA Building Code also has lengthy errata too? Who knew... Do they have an equivalent of Perry-Sez too?
ABSOLUTELY! Part of buying the codes is "FREE" errata updates mailed as replacement pages. The codes are reissued every 3 years. The complete set of all codes is $1500 and comes in 11 binders.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sadly very true. I have educated my three kids, as what they get in school is lacking.

Hopefully I’m doing something right; other kids approach mine with history and geography questions!!

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Talking about errata ..

I remember while working customer service, a bored trader messaged & asked "My girlfriend just proposed, should I say yes?"

I started laughing and I told my boss.

He said "Say yes. Then call back in a few days and say you made a mistake!" :LOL:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
This is simply not true.

My wife works for FedEx as a courier (a driver), and she as well as 95% of the 80 other couriers do not have a BA degree.
My country has higher educational standards than yours, obviously.

Seriously, you're right that the application doesn't require it. I had a friend drive for Greyhound courier his whole adult life and all he had was high school. I did have another friend who wore the brown shorts and he had two BAs. I meant to imply that even routine jobs these days will see those more highly educated rewarded, since employers often look to using them as supervisors down the road. It is certainly the case where I work, the local emergency medical services, where post secondary education (beyond just paramedic training) weighs heavily in the applicant scoring even for entry level positions that don't technically require it.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
You are correct on supervisor roles, in regards to education.

However education isn’t the be all, experience plays a larger role. I have been hired for jobs more based on my experience and soft skills then my education.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

"DISLIKE"

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Technically, we count PF shots.
Per C13.31 the PF is explicitly a one-shot weapon i.e. one attack = one projectile, which is why it only affects one Infantry/Cavalry target and does not leave Residual FP. In general you would be right that each attack might involve more than one actual projectile, and given the firey-wimey abstraction of ASL, the number of actual PFs fired might not truly be one for one with attacks made.

JR

Last edited: