Designer/Tester Trend Russian Leaders

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
What I find interesting is the penchant of designers to put out tournament acceptable scenarios when the majority of players probably never attended an event. Most likely to accommodate all the oldsters who couldn't stay awake through nine turns.😉

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Given that the reason suggested for the US '6' ML is that the replacement process deteriorated small unit cohesion, I think all US units in thier first week or so of combat should be ML 7. Landing at D-Day, for example. Could use ELR of '2' to round out the compromise.
Perhaps an idea worth considering. But there were many veteran divisions like the 36th, 45th, and 1st, to name just a few, that fought all the way from Italy to France and absorbed a lot of replacements along the way (or as they were called later in the war- "reinforcements") yet maintained a high level of battle efficiency throughout. Many (not all) of the drawbacks of the U.S. Army's replacement system were addressed as the war progressed. The most significant improvement was the intentional effort to provide the newly arrived reinforcements a deliberate training regimen before sending them into combat. It is true that the newcomers suffered a higher casualty rate, but those that survived their baptism of fire quickly became proficient in combat tactics. So, the idea that a "green" soldier would always stay "green" is mostly a myth. The reality is that the U. S. Army got better as the war progressed, not worse.

But, as far as ASL is concerned, debating things like national ML is purely an academic exercise. The game and its rules are what they are, and it's a better use of one's time to learn to play the game within its boundaries and enjoy it for all the many positives it has to offer. At least that is what I try to do.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Perhaps an idea worth considering. But there were many veteran divisions like the 36th, 45th, and 1st, to name just a few, that fought all the way from Italy to France and absorbed a lot of replacements along the way (or as they were called later in the war- "reinforcements") yet maintained a high level of battle efficiency throughout. Many (not all) of the drawbacks of the U.S. Army's replacement system were addressed as the war progressed. The most significant improvement was the intentional effort to provide the newly arrived reinforcements a deliberate training regimen before sending them into combat. It is true that the newcomers suffered a higher casualty rate, but those that survived their baptism of fire quickly became proficient in combat tactics. So, the idea that a "green" soldier would always stay "green" is mostly a myth. The reality is that the U. S. Army got better as the war progressed, not worse.

But, as far as ASL is concerned, debating things like national ML is purely an academic exercise. The game and its rules are what they are, and it's a better use of one's time to learn to play the game within its boundaries and enjoy it for all the many positives it has to offer. At least that is what I try to do.
Very nicely put.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
For the USA it is all about inherent firepower, generous SWs and often armor support and either OBA or air support as needed. Victory via firepower. The Russians just threw men and material at whatever the objective, if the first attack failed, more to come. You don't need a lot of leaders to point them in the right direction. Having played SL & ASL for 40+ years, I think they got things right for the most part and still find ASL an endlessly fascinating game system, even when the damn dice don't cooperate!

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What's next?

The American 1st line squad has a '6' morale?
That makes their use too difficult--change it to 7 like (almost) every other 1st line squad out there. :p

Weapon breakdown affect scenario balance to an unwarranted degree.
Special Ammo depletion #'s also affect scenario balance to an unwarranted degree. especially Smoke depletion.
Totally agree!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
P.S. For the sarcasmly challenged, that was sarcasm. I love playing the Americans. They are by far my favorite nationality.

G.
Sarcasmly challenged is an unfortunate malady indeed. I waste some of my best stuff on them.

Quite liked the US. Couldn't wait for GI to come out. Like the Russians the Americans offer challenges but once you master their strengths it's a whole different ballgame.

Besides they have Sergeants Conner and Burk. How could you not like that?!!🤣

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
S taller number of attacking squads requires a relatively greater percentage of leaders or one roll can unbalance a scenario. 12 squads, 3 AFV...how many leaders? 2 is 1 per 6 squads, too high, 1 is 1 per 12 and an unlucky roll killing off he scenario.
The solution is to have LOTS of squads but those scenarios get less play.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
I like the premise of limited numbers of leaders but I'd like to see OOBs with, occasionally, a hero or two within who by SSR act as equivalent of a leader for Human Wave purposes. Russians should conduct more Human Waves and limited leaders counteracts that ability.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
What I find interesting is the penchant of designers to put out tournament acceptable scenarios when the majority of players probably never attended an event. Most likely to accommodate all the oldsters who couldn't stay awake through nine turns.😉
After almost 30 years of playing ASL I still like the bigger scenarios. If you make a mistake or have a bit of bad luck you can recover and try again. You have a bit more room to move on the maps and develop your attack. I need all the help I can get!