Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Just noticed this:
We're pleased to announce a brand new contest for players of The Lord of the Rings Online; the LOTRO "Design a Horse Contest"!

LOTRO fans, it's time to show us your artistic and creative skills: we’re giving you the opportunity to submit your very own design for a horse which could be taken and implemented into the game as a player mount in a future content update.

Below you can find the design template to use when creating your unique design. Please note, you only need to complete the side on view to complete a successful entry. The top-down and front views are there for additional details if you wish to provide them.

The areas of customization on the mount include:

Horse's color and marking
Horse blanket pattern and color
Horse saddle

For some inspiration to guide your creations, please see some of the existing horse designs currently in The Lord of the Rings Online. (Click the below images for a full montage).
We can't name horses but we can customize them?

Actually, I didn't know we could customize them...off to check the lorebook. It seemed like there were limited options when I went to purchase. I don't think I've ever seen a horse with blanket...

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Ah....never mind. :)

There are a number of horses that are currently unavailable, though you never know when they might return. Most of these were available during the associated festivals (Springfest, Lithe, Harvestmath, and Yule), and were earned by winning the horse races at either the Shire Racetrack, or the Bree Party Fields.
From: http://www.brighthub.com/video-games/mmo/articles/33347.aspx?p=3

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This contest at least makes sense - everyone can design a mount & hope their design is chosen for the next "Rep reward/stable mount/area" mount.

I'm guessing it's for some faction in Mirkwood in the next expansion: unless Turbine wants it to be a HUGE deal then it's for Rohan.

PS- it always helps to read the entire notice doesn't it! :laugh:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Haven't given it much thought, but it is intriguing. The horses blast past so fast on the roads, you never really have a chance to notice what others are riding, and when they get to the quest areas, they dismount and the horses just disappear. Almost a shame, if you have a 'special' one, that no one gets to see it. It's kind of like all those "prizes" that you get for home decoration - like, who would ever see 'em? :)

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And for all of you that were highly interested in this (I was curious) here's the winning design and runner ups.

Personally I'd like to see some mounts more like the Shire Pony - one's that LOOK like you're riding across the country & need to have supplies with you.
(Heck even those silly goat mounts have saddlebags & junk on them).

link if you want to check out the page.
http://www.lotro.com/component/content/article/55-coverage/456-lotro-design-a-horse-contest-results

1. Winner
2/3 runners up.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Apparently LotRO - Euorpe had their own Mount design contest- here are the winner & runner ups: (side views only were done)

I liked the 2nd one, the winning one seems "plain" to me. The runner up has Gondor markings and probably didn't fit the location of the mount appearance. (probably a site controlled by the elves of Mirkwood.)

1. Winner designer from Denmark
2. 1st runner up from the UK
3. 2nd runner up from Germany

And those same "English" riding saddles... now much for distance travel.

link: http://community.lotro-europe.com/news.php?id=9967

Last edited: