Desert Terrain Issue

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Playing my first desert scenario and it looks like Hammada is showing up as Crags and Scrub as Brush. I'm using VASL 6.4.3 and selected DTO in the Terrain configuration box. Is there something else I need to do? The snippet is from board 31.
Desert.PNG

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Don't apply the DTO terrain configuration. The board is already DTO. It looks like it is applying broken terrain, which is a bug. To restore, click the "reset" button. There doesn't seem to be a way to reset the one board only.

JR

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
What is actually happening is that when you choose DTO terrain in the Terrain dropdown, two other terrain transformations are being applied. If you pick DTO Transformations in the transformations dropdown (next to the buttons), you will see that DTO Broken Terrain, DTO Steppe Terrain, and Use Desert Colors for ETO boards are all checked. You can leave DTO terrain selected in the Terrain dropdown if you like, but uncheck DTO Broken Terrain and DTO Steppe Terrain (unless, of course, one or both apply). If you have no ETO boards in your scenario, there isn't really a need to perform any transformations. I have filed a vasl issue: https://github.com/vasl-developers/vasl/issues/520.

JR

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What is actually happening is that when you choose DTO terrain in the Terrain dropdown, two other terrain transformations are being applied. If you pick DTO Transformations in the transformations dropdown (next to the buttons), you will see that DTO Broken Terrain, DTO Steppe Terrain, and Use Desert Colors for ETO boards are all checked. You can leave DTO terrain selected in the Terrain dropdown if you like, but uncheck DTO Broken Terrain and DTO Steppe Terrain (unless, of course, one or both apply). If you have no ETO boards in your scenario, there isn't really a need to perform any transformations. I have filed a vasl issue: https://github.com/vasl-developers/vasl/issues/520.

JR
Many thanks, JRV. I cleared the boards and re-added them without any transformations and all is well...and thanks for reporting this.