Desert Routing - A whole lot of low crawling going on ...

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm solo playing ASL 255 "The Bitwoded Gamble". I figured it would be a good introduction to the desert and the Ethiopians (without too much DTO rules overload).

1. If I understand the desert routing rules the 3 stone building hexes and the scrub/Candelabra Tree hexes are the only legal rout destinations? (I'm assuming the Candelabra Tree hexes are considered as "woods" for routing purposes but that may be wrong). If so, then the building hexes would be the only valid rout destinations.

2. Since everything is pretty much open ground that means the only option is low crawl, right?

3. And if the Ethiopians are between the Italians and the buildings that the Italians have no legal rout destinations, right? So they can just low crawl anywhere away from the Ethiopians?

TIA

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
If the broken units are outside of normal range, they could rout normally.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I haven't received my HL yet (USPS estimated it'd be here today, but it last seen in MD four days ago), but I do have CH's version of "Soldiers of the Negus". In CHSoN, candelabra trees are not the equivalent of woods.

Yes, per A10.51 if a unit can't reach a non-ignorable woods/building hex during that RtPh it can rout anywhere that's legal. F.1C has a restriction on Failure To Rout eliminations; the broken units might be able to stay put.