Desert island... only two modules?

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You and your favorite opponent (and two females) are stuck on a desert island for the rest of your lives. You get to bring a rulebook, dice, Beyond Valor v3 and two other modules. These include core modules, Action Packs, HASLs (Red Barricades, Festung Budapest, etc) and all TPP (BFP's Blood & Jungle, LFT's Cholm, etc).

What two do you choose and why?

Last edited:

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Only 2 more?
  • For King & Country
  • Rising Sun
This combination will allow me to play
  • a good number of PTO - Commonwealth, IJA, Chinese and Marines (tho' Marines feels "incompletel" without Yanks)
  • a good number of ETO / Western - Commonweath, German, Russian
Absolutely not perfect but prob the best combination for me.

Rgds Jack

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Yanks & FKaC.

Covers most of the meat and potatoes ETO. Always plenty of scenarios to choose from with the four main belligerents.

Plus in you want to play DTO, you don't need boards.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yanks & FKaC.

Covers most of the meat and potatoes ETO. Always plenty of scenarios to choose from with the four main belligerents.

Plus in you want to play DTO, you don't need boards.
Well yeah, the question already states that you are on a Desert Island. I haven't done DTO yet, so for me the Desert Island might as well be deserted ~~

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
How about two extra females? :D

Otherwise tough question.

Likely Rising Sun, because PTO would otherwise be sorely missed.
The second would be either Yanks or FKaC.

The point is that I don't remember how much stuff from Yanks is needed to play PTO if you have Rising Sun. If it works well without Yanks, then the second would be FKaC, otherwise Yanks.

von Marwitz

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Paratroopers, plus whatever module you want. I mean, if I'm to be stranded on an island with only three other people for the rest of my life, I need a way to turn these other two into players :)

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Probably go with Yanks and Rising Sun.
Could cover the widest range of scenarios with those.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Red Barricades and Rising Sun. Still haven't got my fix of Stalingrad yet.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
In fact, can I choose Red Factories? Two for the price of one. Plus RS.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Yanks, because I may use the boats do get away from the island.
FKaC, because the British can inspire me some phlegm.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1. West of Alamein, for the benefit of playing the British / Commonwealth forces and the DTO (my favorite theater of ASL). And since I store my Italian counters in the WOA box, they get to come along on the S.S. Minnow too.

2. Crucible of Steel, because there's a good chance the SAR aircraft will locate me before I'm halfway through Flying Turrets.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
CH monster D-Day and Berlin so I can use the counters to make fire and the maps for signal panels or a sail for my future boat. Why waste away on an island with so much great ASL out there!

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Oh dear, only 2! In that case it would have to be AoO and HP. EF total fanboy here. A 2nd choice would be AoO and the map bundle.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How about the one female who's back can best approximate a flat table top when on all fours and Rising Sun.

Perfect!

Rich

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I take the two biggest module boxes, which I think are Yanks 2 and Rising Sun. I've already got the rules incorporated into my rules binders and the counters organised into their Planos, and the boards are in a separate container. (I already have all those things or I can't even play BV.) So then I just shove in the scenario cards from every other module into the two boxes. Any space left over I use for the various HASL maps, and if there's still space after that, I start packing in issues of the Annual and Journal. There's also a fair amount of room spare in the maps container, so more stuff can be squeezed in there. Simples!

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
VotG and FB. If I'm gonna be just playing a few things, might as well go big! Runner up would be Rising Sun so we could actually invade/defend a desert island.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
400mm+ NOBA and 100mm+ (for the SMOKE & IR). That will teach those cannibals about the evils of stacking.

JR

PabloGS

Reaction score
Country
llChile
Only 2 more?
  • For King & Country
  • Rising Sun
This combination will allow me to play
  • a good number of PTO - Commonwealth, IJA, Chinese and Marines (tho' Marines feels "incompletel" without Yanks)
  • a good number of ETO / Western - Commonweath, German, Russian
Absolutely not perfect but prob the best combination for me.

Rgds Jack
I thought the same. Being in a desert island, play with the scenery!

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I take the two biggest module boxes, which I think are Yanks 2 and Rising Sun. I've already got the rules incorporated into my rules binders and the counters organised into their Planos, and the boards are in a separate container. (I already have all those things or I can't even play BV.) So then I just shove in the scenario cards from every other module into the two boxes. Any space left over I use for the various HASL maps, and if there's still space after that, I start packing in issues of the Annual and Journal. There's also a fair amount of room spare in the maps container, so more stuff can be squeezed in there. Simples!
I was leaning this direction myself for a number of reasons. Yanks 2 gives you 8 boards and 41 scenarios, and Rising Sun gives you 7 boards, 32 scenarios and Gavuto-Tanabogo. I don't think the Marines are useful unless you have the SW and AFV from Yanks? Both give you tremendous value. This combo also gives you 4 of the 5 majors and the boards pair up the best concerning what are needed in the scenarios.

If I was a ETO only fan it would be very hard to pass up on Crucible of Steel and Poland in Flames just to have all those new boards and unplayed scenarios, because I've played almost all of the BV, Yanks and RS scenarios. Or toss CoS and take Red Factories instead.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
you guys are sad... my two choices would be :

Eva Mendes
Julianne Hough

You guys can go off and play with your silly little toy games.. I'm gonna go play with these two "modules"

:D