Desert and AFV Questions

gusi

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
After a 6 month ASL hiatus we played Across the Wire yesterday. We both got HL recently, I hadn't played a desert scenario since code of Bushido came out (30+ years ago) and my opponent has never played them.

Needless to say we hit a couple of snags, not all desert related.

1) non Platoon movement and radioless AFV's
The Italians are allowed platoon movement. I assume that is because so the line off vehicles gets perfect dust cover.
How does that affect the radioless AFVs?
Even if they are next to each other at the start of the movement phase, they are not in a platoon. So they would have to roll an NTC each friendly MPh if they wanted to move?

2) Armor leaders
The armor leaders can only modify the MA and overruns. With ROF or multiple OVRs. This could be applied several times.
The AL cannot modify the rear MG.

3) British AFV OVRs.
These would attack on the 2 IFT column. AFV with ATR MA. RMG does not count.
They'd get -1 for the AL but suffer light dust and possible vehicular dust?

4) Veh Dust
What happens when a vehicle with Veh Dust gets wrecked does the dust get removed immediately?

5) If a vehicle that is marked with an AQ marker moves behind +6 dust does the AQ get removed? Can the vehicle owner ask for a loss check each time the +6 drm is likely?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
1) If they are allowed non-platoon movement, no NTC applies (it only applies when only platoon movement is allowed).

2) You got it right

3) Dust applies at all ranges. OVR FP: see D7.11.

4) Dust is removed normally. A wreck is not listed among the exceptions of F11.74.

5) IIRC there is a Q&A that allows acquisition to remain even with temporary hindrances would remove it...

Last edited:

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
5) The ACQ would remain in the hex where the firer last had LOS.
C6.51... If an acquired target leaves its present Location and thereby goes out of the firer’s LOS (as per 6.15; a free LOS check may be made to ascertain if this occurred), the 1/2" Acquired counter remains in the last Location that target occupied prior to leaving the acquirer’s LOS.

EJ1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
3) Dust applies at all ranges. OVR FP: see D7.11.
Hi Robin,

In your reply, you wrote that dust applies at all ranges; thus, to ensure I understand you correctly:
  1. Dust applies at all ranges, including ranges of one and zero for such things as PBF and TPBF?
  2. I thought Dust (F11.7)>DLV (F11.6)>LV (E3.1)>Hindrance (A6.7) is "treated exactly like a LOS Hindrance except that a LV Hindrance DRM is cumulative with other Hindrances regardless of range," and a hindrance must go through a hex, not just into or out of it. The statement "cumulative with other Hindrances regardless of range" confuses me.
  3. As an overrun is a form of Bounding First Fire, does dust (desert or vehicle) apply to an overrun (i.e., an example of "at all ranges")? F11.74 states vehicle dust is treated as "drifting Dispersed Smoke in all respects," and Smoke is included as an overrun DRM; I haven't found such a similar statement for non-vehicle dust.
  4. I don't see that CCRF is subject to dust, but I'm understanding that non-CCRF is, because non-CCRF is a form of TH or IFT attack at a range of zero (i.e., at any range). So an overrun attacker would incur vehicle-dust DRM in an overrun, but the defender would, in turn, incur no vehicle-dust DRM in the following CCRF?
Thanks and cheers,

Last edited:

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi Robin,

In your reply, you wrote that dust applies at all ranges; thus, to ensure I understand you correctly:
  1. Dust applies at all ranges, including ranges of one and zero for such things as PBF and TPBF?
  2. I thought Dust (F11.7)>DLV (F11.6)>LV (E3.1)>Hindrance (A6.7) is "treated exactly like a LOS Hindrance except that a LV Hindrance DRM is cumulative with other Hindrances regardless of range," and a hindrance must go through a hex, not just into or out of it. The statement "cumulative with other Hindrances regardless of range" confuses me.
  3. As an overrun is a form of Bounding First Fire, does dust (desert or vehicle) apply to an overrun (i.e., an example of "at all ranges")? F11.74 states vehicle dust is treated as "drifting Dispersed Smoke in all respects," and Smoke is included as an overrun DRM; I haven't found such a similar statement for non-vehicle dust.
  4. I don't see that CCRF is subject to dust, but I'm understanding that non-CCRF is, because non-CCRF is a form of TH or IFT attack at a range of zero (i.e., at any range). So an overrun attacker would incur vehicle-dust DRM in an overrun, but the defender would, in turn, incur no vehicle-dust DRM in the following CCRF?
Thanks and cheers,
1. Light dust and moderate dust DRM apply at all ranges including TPBF per the 11.732 EX-

"EX: A squad firing with four FP at a range of three hexes during Heavy Dust receives a +2 LOS Hindrance DRM plus a Light Dust DLV Hindrance DRM of 0, + 1, + 2 or + 3. If firing during Very Heavy Dust, the Light Dust DRM is applicable in the same manner but the LOS Hindrance DRM is +3. If firing during Extremely Heavy Dust, the LOS Hindrance DRM is still +3 but the Moderate Dust DRM will be +1, +2 or +3. If the attack has a range of zero (TPBF), only the Light Dust DRM will apply during Heavy or Very Heavy Dust, and only the Moderate Dust DRM will apply during Extremely Heavy Dust. Assuming the squad's attack leaves two Residual FP, if another unit is later attacked by that Residual FP no DLV DRM will apply but FFMO/FFNAM may. Remember that DLV DRM are not applicable to determining if LOS is blocked (11.6). "

2. See above. What the rule is saying is that if, for example, a unit is firing at a target on the other side of an orchard, any LV modifier will be cumulative with the orchard hindrance. Only the LV hindrance will apply if the target is in the orchard. Incidentally, DLV are not taken into account in determining whether LOS is blocked-

"11.6 DESERT LOW VISIBILITY (DLV): DLV is the term used to categorize Sun Blindness (11.61), Heat Haze (11.62-.621), and both Light and Moderate Dust (11.71-.72). A DLV Hindrance is treated exactly like a LV Hindrance (E3.1) unless stated otherwise. A DLV Hindrance does not apply (i.e., is not counted) when determining if LOS is blocked as per B.10. "

It is important to distinguish light/moderate dust hindrances from heavy/very heavy/extremely heavy dust hindrances. The former are DLV hindrances whereas the latter are normal hindrances. The former are therefore not counted in determining whether LOS is blocked whereas the latter are.

3. Light and moderate dust DLV apply to an overrun as does vehicular dust (which is treated in the same way as dispersed smoke).

4. Close combat/CCRF is never affected by a LV/vehicular dust modifier, so your understanding appears to be correct.

Edited to clarify that heavy/very heavy/extremely heavy dust hindrances differ from normal hindrances in that there will always be a hindrance of +1 for PBF and hindrance levels beyond this are calculated according to the rule for each dust type. See the 11.732 EX referred to above.

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I would add that SMOKE hindrance also applies at range 0.