Description of the tactic: “SPIDER’S WEB”

Achilles

Reaction score
Country
llGreece
Description of the tactic: “SPIDER’S WEB”
Your opponent will adopt a passive stance and will give you the initiative and space to advance.
As soon as you will start to reach his lines you will be subject of both heavy arty/rockets and very accurate fast mortar arty.
This will have as a result the rooting of specific local task groups.
The next step will be the surgical destruction of these task forces by the use of specialized units like flamethrowers, AT bazookas and AT recon vehicles.
Once the number of your armors will diminish your opponent will engage his armors for a total destruction.

SYMPTOMES:

Your opponent doesn’t lose units in his turn.
Your opponent always knows the exact location of your every unit.
Your opponent will always target your armors with extremely accurate fast mortar barrage.
Your opponent will use enormous amount of AT recon vehicle, AC and fast APC loaded with specialized units.
Your opponent will advance passive snipers (disabled weapon) with a pace of 1 hex per turn.
Your opponent will try to outflank you with fast AC in order to get into your rear and spot your arty position.
Your opponent will place his heavy arty close to the front (covered and unspotted behind hills or forest) in order to strike you with accuracy and deadliness.
Your opponent will always buy companies with extra organic artillery if you don’t state in your guidelines the rule: "Even organic artillery counts towards the agreed arty limit of 10% or 15%". (This will have the result of 20% more arty than you)
Your opponent will use/cheat with the routine of extended recon (fast AC) and then reload, in order to spot every unit of your army, anticipate correctly your tactics and performing very accurate arty strikes.
Your opponent will never step into a minefield, be ambushed or be subject to long range AT reaction fire.
Your opponent will create a lot of smoke during his turn.

REMEDY:

Don’t approach his smoke areas.
Keep your forces in big wide concentrations providing this way support to each other; keep in mind that any isolated unit will be an easy target for your opponent.
Relocate your units to avoid his accurate arty.
Use a lot of counter artillery to keep his artillery moving.
If you are not an experienced player, aim for a draw.
Try to kill his fast AT units.
Don’t set your AT guns to long ranges but better set them to ranges below 6 hexes.
Build minefields.

Pyros

Pannonicus

Reaction score
Country
llHungary
The other remedy is using the same tactics against him. This will end in a draw as none of you would move too much with heavies. I had a battle like this at The Blitz once.

Achilles

Reaction score
Country
llGreece
Pannonicus said:
The other remedy is using the same tactics against him. This will end in a draw as none of you would move too much with heavies. I had a battle like this at The Blitz once.
And what can you do about this???

“SPIDER’S WEB” said:
Your opponent will use/cheat with the routine of extended recon (fast AC) and then reload, in order to spot every unit of your army, anticipate correctly your tactics and performing very accurate arty strikes.

minefield

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Achilles said:
Your opponent will never step into a minefield, be ambushed or be subject to long range AT reaction fire.
Pyros
Quite frankly if I encountered this I would not play the individual again; what's the point? Of course I would confront them via email first to see what is going on. If it came down to it I would bring in a more knowledgeable player to look at the saved turns (after we give him/her both our passwords) to see if they believe cheating is going on.

If you want to be stubborn about it and try to win against a cheater then there are a few small things you can do to try to maximize your chances.
First you must get all your significant kills during your movement phase. Go ahead and range your ATG's and tanks down to a really low value or zero.
Second assume that they have complete intel on your forces. Expect attack from any angle to any part of your forces. Always keep a ring of infantry around your heavies.
If it is per turn VH's then you should focus on remaining control of those (or the majority of them) as opposed to eliminating the opposing force since most of the time his troops will be out of striking range.
I do not recommend cheating by reloading the game.

danstudentvcc

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Pannonicus said:
:( Unbelievable!

I've not played a single WHQ opponent that does this .. perhaps the other site has alot of :cry: 'ies.

I play because I love this game :devil: and I can't seem to stop myself!!:devious:

My world would be :cheeky: if I quit.

But you know an alternative method to get your opp to relax and not to play as if the World's title hung in the balance would be to setup a game where-in the points from flags and units would culminate in a draw irregardless of how much play has been 'manufactured'!!

In closing there is a further refinement in addition to points per turn for flags as Achilles mentioned ..
1)multiply the point value of all units.
2)decrease the number of turns.
[See Lone Wolf's 'fair play thread and Achilles critical turn thread.]

If an opp gets made at not being able to get his 5-1 or better then .. :smoke: