Deploying Spotters

spb

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can a squad which has been designated as a Spotter for a mortar be deployed, one of the resulting GO HS retaining the Spotting ability? The EXC at the end of 9.3 explicitly allows a GO HS resulting from the CR of a Spotting squad to retain Spotting ability, but I could find no mention of deploying Spotters in either the ASLRB or the Q&A.

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
spb said:
...The EXC at the end of C9.3 explicitly allows a GO HS resulting from the CR of a Spotting squad to retain Spotting ability, but I could find no mention of deploying Spotters in either the ASLRB or the Q&A.
Then it is not allowed (but probably should be; try asl_qa@multimanpublishing.com for a ruling, if necessary).

However, a rules lawyer might argue that Deployment eliminates (removes) the designated Spotter and replaces it w/two HS. You may then use your ensuing PFPh to designate one of your just-placed HS as a Spotter

Wayne

G

I'd allow it. A rules lawyer can argue all he wants, but "eliminated, broken,or captured" can only mean "KIA'd, made ineffective as a fighting force, or taken prisoner. C9.3 doesn't take away a leader's command of his troops. If Sarge comes into the spotter's hex and orders the squad to deploy, then they best deploy! :)

Still, it is a hole. I've sent a Q&A also, in case no one else has.

G

Got a quick response to my Q to Perry...

Subj: Re: Spotter deployment
Date: 2/8/03 3:18:52 PM Eastern Standard Time
To: PZchala@aol.com
Sent from the Internet (Details)

Q. Can a leader Deploy a Spotter? If, yes, could the spotting duty be taken over by only one of the resulting HS's, freeing up the other HS for other purposes?
Yes. Yes.

....Perry
MMP

spb

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I should've replied here when I got my own Perry Sez response. In addition to
allowing Spotters to be Deployed, it is worth noting that such Deployment does not cause
loss of Aquisition.