Depiction of foxholes in CM: Normandy

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some of the "memory" has made it into CM2. It is part of the revamping of the spotting system around 1.7-1.10, IIRC. In 1.11, I can't fault too much of the spotting system. It is kind of what I was hoping in advancements in CM2. But it really took almost a full year after release to get it right.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The memory thing at least on a squad level is something that CMx1 with it's "point-like" units did right. One guy gets hit, everybody goes to ground, since they are all exposed to the fire.

In CM:SF with 1:1 the game tries to be smart and essentially says, "yeah Jones got hit but Iggy is out of LOS, so let's just let Iggy continue to walk forward".

If you'd fix it by everybody always going to ground when anybody gets hit you'd get very goofy results in other situations where the other guys *are* in good cover. Just for starters, you would disable any kind of usable "assault" behavior with some people doing covering fire for the others.

In CMx1 both work fine since the assault command just have a robustness benefit to the squad at the expense of slowing it down.

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was referring to the memory of enemy units going out of sight and the reappearing.

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the answer!

And yeah, I rmember Steve saying unit "memory" was important but I can't remember if it was a "we want it in CMx2" or a "it is in CMx2" kind of thing. I think the former.

-dale

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It wasn't really in CMSF from the start (as applies to a lot of stuff). It was either added or made to work a few months ago.