Dependencies for AoO 2018

Symphonic5

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I’m a relatively new player who is thinking of picking up the pre-order of AoO. Any idea of finding out what scenarios I will and won’t be able to play?

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I’m a relatively new player who is thinking of picking up the pre-order of AoO. Any idea of finding out what scenarios I will and won’t be able to play?
Nations:
Soviets and Germans obviously, Allied Minors (2 scenarios).
Maps:
2 (1), 9 (1), 11 (2), 18 (1), 22 (1), 40 (2), 41 (1), 42 (2), 43 (1), 44 (1), 45 (1), 46 (1), 47 (1), 48 (2), 49 (4), 50 (5), 51 (2). Boards 48-51 included in AoO v1.

All the above only takes into account only what came with the original AoO. If previous reprints are a guide then you should expect additional scenarios bundled in that had been published in Journals, etc.

The only advice I can give is get what you can when you can. Core modules, then APs and WOs (for the maps if nothing else) first and foremost and only then consider HASL or Journals (EXC: fs a Journal has a geo-map). I've seen a fair few regrets posted here where people did not get something that was not quite their bag then but either later lacked components or their interests expanded.

Get it! Get it! Get it!

Symphonic5

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ha! Thanks for the info. I was actually debating picking up the missing maps from MMP when pre-ordering. Even finding what I need to order has been a chore.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Even finding what I need to order has been a chore.
I go back to SL days, when it could be years between anything more substantial than a pair of scenarios in the General appeared. Back then it was simple, "They are still doing SL/ASL?" - just buy it. The only time I had an issue was a scenario set on a board from AH's "Little Round Top", the American Civil War battle. Starting now must be a nightmare, especially given that ASL output both official and TPP has exploded over the last 5 to 10 years.

Symphonic5

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I’m really loving it, but dependencies are very muddy. So far I’ve found that I need overlays from DB and CdG to play a majority of the scenarios.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Last edited:

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1081991/scenario-dependencies

Holy Moly, looks like I can play a total of two scenarios without DB or CdG. That’s a large pill for over $100. But I know the rule of get it while you can...
That list is a little out of date by now, as it doesn't take into account either the reprint of Yanks, which includes boards 40 and 41, or the fact that the reprint will have substantially more scenarios.

The latter fact is particularly important, as some of the scenarios included will be from Partisan. Half of the Partisan scenarios will be playable right out of the box, and the other half will require only the addition of Boards 10 and 32.

This does not address the 13 other scenarios originally published in Journals, Action Packs, etc.

Symphonic5

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for he welcome, it’s good to be here! And Duke, your BGG lists were a huge help. I look for them wherever I can.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That list is a little out of date by now, as it doesn't take into account either the reprint of Yanks, which includes boards 40 and 41, or the fact that the reprint will have substantially more scenarios.

The latter fact is particularly important, as some of the scenarios included will be from Partisan. Half of the Partisan scenarios will be playable right out of the box, and the other half will require only the addition of Boards 10 and 32.

This does not address the 13 other scenarios originally published in Journals, Action Packs, etc.
You are so Knighted to update the file and distribute. Arise Sir Uncle Duke

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for he welcome, it’s good to be here! And Duke, your BGG lists were a huge help. I look for them wherever I can.
Thank you! Looking back through my BGG posts, it seems I did write ups for:

Yanks (2nd Ed)
Partisan!
West of Alamein
For King and Country (buried in somebody else's thread)
The Last Hurrah
Hollow Legions
Code of Bushido
Gung Ho!
Croix de Guerre
Doomed Battalions (3rd Ed)
Armies of Oblivion (original printing)
Rising Sun

Here's the catch though-- Of these, I only own Yanks, For King and Country, and Rising Sun. Everything else was pieced together using info I found on the ASL Scenario Archive, so there's a decent chance it may be incomplete in some way. The likely error would be that if it had a weird Chapter H dependency that wouldn't be otherwise obvious.

And of course, most of these are four or five years old, so take them with a grain of salt.

You are so Knighted to update the file and distribute. Arise Sir Uncle Duke
When I get my hands on the reprint, I'll be sure to do just that. I'll need to do Hakkaa Päälle first though.

Symphonic5

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you! Looking back through my BGG posts, it seems I did write ups for:

Yanks (2nd Ed)
Partisan!
West of Alamein
For King and Country (buried in somebody else's thread)
The Last Hurrah
Hollow Legions
Code of Bushido
Gung Ho!
Croix de Guerre
Doomed Battalions (3rd Ed)
Armies of Oblivion (original printing)
Rising Sun

Here's the catch though-- Of these, I only own Yanks, For King and Country, and Rising Sun. Everything else was pieced together using info I found on the ASL Scenario Archive, so there's a decent chance it may be incomplete in some way. The likely error would be that if it had a weird Chapter H dependency that wouldn't be otherwise obvious.

And of course, most of these are four or five years old, so take them with a grain of salt.

When I get my hands on the reprint, I'll be sure to do just that. I'll need to do Hakkaa Päälle first though.
Have you thought of combining them into a PDF? That would be a great play aid.

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's an updated, partial dependencies list for Armies of Oblivion as reprinted in 2018. This only covers the scenarios from Partisan and the original printing of Armies of Oblivion. The good news is that the dependency on Croix de Guerre is not as bad as it looked before Yanks was reprinted. The bad news is that Doomed Battalions is still a pretty strong prerequisite. Also, one scenario requires a few overlays from Action Pack 2, which haven't ever been reprinted.

The ASL Rulebook (2nd Edition) and Beyond Valor (3rd Edition) are assumed requirements in all cases.

AoO= Armies of Oblivion
AP2= Action Pack 2
AP3= Action Pack 3
BV3= Beyond Valor, 3rd Edition
CdG= Croix de Guerre
DB3= Doomed Battalions, 3rd Edition
FKaC= For King and Country
Y2= Yanks, 2nd Edition

*= Provides Board
**= Provides Counters
***= Provides Overlay
#= Provides Chapter H

Originally Published in Partisan:
Code:
Number      Name                          Sides (Attacker/ Defender)            Boards              Overlays                Requirements
ASL 27      The Liberation of Tulle       Partisan (FTP)/ German                2, 22
ASL 28      Ambush!                       Bulgarian/ Partisan (Siatista) Ax     4, 10                                       FKaC*
ASL 29      The Globus Road               Partisan (BOPA)/ German (SS)          22
ASL 30      Sylvan Death                  German/ Partisan                      32
ASL 31      The Old Town                  German/ Partisan (AK)                 20
ASL 32      Subterranean Quarry           Romanian/ Partisan                    1, 4
ASL 33      The Cossacks are Coming       Croatian/ Partisan                    2, 3, 10, 32                                FKaC*
ASL 34      A New Kind of Foe             German/ Partisan & Russian            4, 32                                       FKaC*
Originally Published in Armies of Oblivion (1st Edition)
Code:
Number      Name                          Sides (Attacker/ Defender)            Boards              Overlays                Requirements
ASL 111     Balkan Sideshow               Hungarian/ Yugoslavian                40, 49                                      Y2*, DB3** #
ASL 112     Out of Cowardice              Hungarian/ Yugoslavian                50                                          DB3**
ASL 113     Liberating Bessarabia         Romanian/ Russian                     22, 49
ASL 114     Cautious Crusaders            Slovakian/ Russian                    48, 49              Hi2, Hi5, RR4, RR6      DB3***, AP2***
ASL 115     Huns of Steel                 Hungarian/ Russian                    43, 44, 48          Rv1                     DB3*, AP3*
ASL 116     The Sixth Blow                Russian/ German & Hungarian           2, 47, 50
ASL 117     With Tigers on Their Tail     Russian/ Hungarian                    9, 11, 50           Hi8, Hi9, Hi12, P1      DB3*, RS***
ASL 118     Downsizing the Uprising       Slovakian/ German                     41, 42, 46, 50                              Y2*, AP3*
ASL 119     Ancient Feud                  Romanian/ Hungarian                   40, 42, 49          Hi8, Hi9, Hi12          Y2*, AP3*
ASL 120     Return to Sender              Bulgarian/ German                     11, 18, 50          Hi12                    Y2*, DB3*
ASL 121     End Station Budapest          Romanian/ Hungarian                   45, 51              X12, RR1, RR5, RR14     CdG***, DB3* ***

Master Board List (Non BV3, Non AoO): 9, 10, 11, 18, 32, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46
Master Overlay List (Non AoO):
Hi2, Hi5
P1
RR1, RR4, RR5, RR6, RR14
X12

Consider this a teaser for that general update I was talking about earlier....

Last edited: