Demo Live

Rule_303

Reaction score
[hirr]Leto;1392148 said:
I could use the humour... just lost 2.5 million in the commodities markets over the last 3 months...

sigh.

Leto
Bummer. Mostly giving back paper profits you made on the run-up, I assume though. You didn't jump in at the top, right? with the Chinese pig farmers.

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You can come in at the top if you short the markets. Shorting is good trading sense in the futures markets.

Good Hunting.

MR

[hirr]Leto

Varmint Croonie
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Bummer. Mostly giving back paper profits you made on the run-up, I assume though. You didn't jump in at the top, right? with the Chinese pig farmers.
I guess you never lose money until you make a transaction... no, I rode a 63% increase over the year.... just sad to see it retract. I'm a long term guy not a weasel day trader so I expect my stocks to move back up into growth again by the summer. Corn and ag stocks in general look good with food shortages well observed across the globe.

Leto

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Who is Rex J complaining about the Echo vs Easy? And he's from Canada. hmmmmm
Again, I am compelled to ask - link?

If you are suggesting it is me, it's not.

Like I said - it's noticeable. And, I don't think it is unimportant. Though given Steve's sudden shift in marketing to "aw, shucks, it's just a fun little game we came up with" I guess I am left to wonder how seriously we should take the rest of it. Do they really mean what they say about ballistics and research and all that other stuff, too? Or is that equally "unimportant" stuff that only detail-Nazis would care about?

EDIT - found it. Steve agrees it is a big deal.

Damn... Easy Company... holy crap I can't believe we didn't catch that! Especially me, since I actually caught the fact that the short description was using an earlier description when it was Abel(sic) Company. Phonetically correct, but it would have been confusing when you wound up commanding "E Company".

Oh well, there's bound to be a v1.01 Demo
http://www.battlefront.com/community/showpost.php?p=1258724&postcount=33

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Woooo a Demo, Booooo its corrupted and the alternatives dont load!!!

My first comment is, why did they leave it so late that a lot of their download partners had gone to bed? Or why not just put it on this morning.
They want that demo out at the same time PCO goes on sale in the morning. That's why.

Yeah, I know Elvis...just another BFC coincidence is all...............

I need to read that quote by Steve again where BFC never heard of PCO....yeah right, and pigs fly too.

I just hope they were ready to release their demo/game. It looks like another rush job at the moment.

Good Hunting.

MR
It's a fair question. My initial thought was the desire was to defeat the server overload problem ("Night of the Refresh Monkeys"), though that makes less sense when you consider BFC doesn't host their own demos any more. It is apparently still a consideration though as events proved last night.

Honestly, I would also have a hard time believing PC:O is really on the radar at BFC either, but I have no evidence to support one conclusion or another. Anything is possible, and there are some clues to suggest MR's interpretation may be correct. I don't believe it personally, but it can't be ruled out conclusively. Nothing I spend a lot of time thinking about, either.

MR - I still owe you a reply on FB - sorry for the delay; lots of stuff piling up on me. I still owe a return turn file in the Diverse tourney as well if cornolio is reading this. :(

Tanker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Whoa, easy there big fella. Must be that degree in Communications getting in the way...
Zonso, you do know that comment made absolutely no sense right? I think MD made some perfectly good observations in his post.

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sometimes things are just coincidences.

Circumstantial evidence can get you hung in court though.

In this case I was just jabbing at Elvis. I forgot that Zonso drops by every so often.

I got Elvis...ROFL! But Zonso was taking it with a different grain of salt.

Good Hunting.

MR

Tanker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I downloaded it from the German site. Much faster.

I played the tutorial for about 20 minutes so far.

The Shermans would not go through, what I surmise are hedgerows. That's no surprise as they did not appear to have equipped with the rams for dealing with the hedgerows.
Much more frustrating was the refusal of infantry elements such as HQ and mortar teams to go through a smallish hedge. They chose instead to go around and seek some invisible "gate" to get through. This exposed them to enemy fire. There was no indicator that this would happen prior to clicking continue. If terrain is impassible to a waypoint the waypoint indicator should warn you of that so you can make alternate plans.

vulture

Reaction score
Country
ll
I downloaded it from the German site. Much faster.

I played the tutorial for about 20 minutes so far.

The Shermans would not go through, what I surmise are hedgerows. That's no surprise as they did not appear to have equipped with the rams for dealing with the hedgerows.
Much more frustrating was the refusal of infantry elements such as HQ and mortar teams to go through a smallish hedge. They chose instead to go around and seek some invisible "gate" to get through. This exposed them to enemy fire. There was no indicator that this would happen prior to clicking continue. If terrain is impassible to a waypoint the waypoint indicator should warn you of that so you can make alternate plans.
When plotting movement, moving the cursor over impassable terrain will show you that it is impassable. But you do have to go looking for it. And I guess you learn over time what kinds of walls etc. you can climb over and which you go around.

Tanker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When plotting movement, moving the cursor over impassable terrain will show you that it is impassable. But you do have to go looking for it. And I guess you learn over time what kinds of walls etc. you can climb over and which you go around.
I'll check again but I did not see anything. Individual men ought to be able to pass through a hedge or hedgerow though.

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sounds like only one mirror had a corrupted version which seems to be fixed and I'd guess that it wasn't neccesarily anyone from BFC's fault.

So your conclusion is a little baffling, care to explain why they are so thoroughly stupid?
To you? For the thousandth time? Probably.

EVERYTHING about this release needs to be perfect. Anything that's not perfect is BFC's fault, because it's BFC's game. Something wasn't perfect, something that could have and should have been verified as perfect.

Hence my conclusion.

-dale

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After all the requests to increase draw distance in CMBN, and what BFC & beta testers have said about improved LOD, that is quite surprising. Will check it out later.
That is the first thing I noticed also. I seems tree LOD is more than in CMSF, but other ground terrain is shorter. Why they don't make this adjustable like PCO, I'll never understand.

I really expected more on the graphics side like some more optimization. I mean they have been working on this for three years. It really does look just like CMSF with new units.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
To you? For the thousandth time? Probably.

EVERYTHING about this release needs to be perfect. Anything that's not perfect is BFC's fault, because it's BFC's game. Something wasn't perfect, something that could have and should have been verified as perfect.

Hence my conclusion.

-dale
But if you apologize on the day of release, I think you're exempt...

I can sort of see Steve's point. I don't have an issue with the game not being a quantum leap over CM:SF - I don't think that was ever the point. It's not supposed to be. It's the CM:X2 game engine, not CM:X3. To be honest, I don't even understand why anyone would expect the graphics and gameplay to be all that different from CM:SF - though understandably, it has been four years since that game came out.

I do expect, of course, there to be considerable blending of some of the older features we were missing from CM:X1, and 'lessons learned' from CM:SF with respect to features. But expecting something radically different - not really.

Geordie does have a point about the voice files. They seem like placeholders now.

I may need a new rig in order to truly get down to the nitty-gritty of game play and assess the scenarios in something of a more meaningful manner. The 3D world, what little I saw of it, looks very nice. Seeing those telephone poles was immersive.

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the full manual was supposed to be included in the demo. I thought that is what someone wrote.

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is a tutorial guide in the manual but apparently it's for a different tutorial scenario, presumably the one that will be included in the actual game.
That's not a big help for me trying to play the one they released before getting the actual game.

Good Hunting.

MR