Deluxe Pack - VASL maps?

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
If the intention to do more is fulfilled then the mismatch will be less of a problem.
There was one mapboard mix-and-match out of all the scenarios in the first pack. My preliminary understanding is that pack II will also contain a small bounty of new maps. Rather than trying to 'complement' existing art from the AH-era, it appears to me that LFT will soon have enough new maps that they will rarely if ever choose to use the AH ones in conjunction.

MMP will never use LFT's maps in their designs, so I think the maps being un-complementary are nearly a moot point. LFT has seemingly struck out to provide a "DASL world" all unto its own, and I do not fault them at all for doing so as AH/MMP dropped the ball on DASL long ago. Sure, they still publish occasional DASL scenarios, but with those same 8 old, tired boards. They evidently have not seen a nominal enough market niche to expand upon it, whereas LFT felt the opportunity (and sales) would be there. I do not know their sales figures but it would seem the sale of their DASL Pack I has done fairly well.

I think, IMO, the main hurdle faced by MMP if they chose to rejuvenate the DASL line would be redoing their existing boards and printing them as SK-style maps. Would these sell well enough to warrant doing so? Sure, I would buy them and use them instead of my hardbacks, but how many others would? After the release of DASL Pack II, I believe LFT will hold the reins on DASL direction; at least for anything beyond more scenarios for the same 8 AH boards.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
No, Bruce, you will not get any further comments on your inputs on this topic except for a reference to this post:
Traditionally, "I will not comment further on your posts" means "I will no longer keep typing things in reply to your posts". You didn't say anything much of interest in the first reply, but you were entitled to your (not well thought out) opinion. Now you "ignore" my comments by continually telling everyone that you're ignoring them. If you saw that behaviour in someone else, would you think it's (a) noble (b) clever (c) petulant or (d) pretty dopey? You make the call. (I vote for (c), but could be convinced of (d).)

If you have something new to say, then say it. We're all ears. If you don't have anything new to say, we heard you the first time. Are you an adult? If you are, try behaving like one.

SFiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/deluxe-pack-vasl-maps.128760/#post-1846465

Sentence 2-3

Traditionally, "I will not comment further on your posts" means "I will no longer keep typing things in reply to your posts". You didn't say anything much of interest in the first reply, but you were entitled to your (not well thought out) opinion. Now you "ignore" my comments by continually telling everyone that you're ignoring them. If you saw that behaviour in someone else, would you think it's (a) noble (b) clever (c) petulant or (d) pretty dopey? You make the call. (I vote for (c), but could be convinced of (d).)

If you have something new to say, then say it. We're all ears. If you don't have anything new to say, we heard you the first time. Are you an adult? If you are, try behaving like one.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
(c) and (d). OK then. This is the point where I assume that you will never have anything interesting and/or useful to say, and you get added to my ignore filter. Goodbye.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Oh give it a rest! We get it, you two disagree.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
It is a Deluxe quarrel, compared with problems if real life. :cool:

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
I just received my Deluxe Pack, and I like the boards very much.
Looking forward to more in future.
If another (or more!) packs are published I absolutely will but them.

Once upon a time I had intentions to accumulate enough miniatures to make it interesting, yet have only collected a troop each of T-34s and Panthers.
There used to be company packs available from one seller for a reasonable price, but I've been out of touch from the miniatures set for a long time.

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just received my Deluxe Pack, and I like the boards very much.
Looking forward to more in future.
If another (or more!) packs are published I absolutely will but them.

Once upon a time I had intentions to accumulate enough miniatures to make it interesting, yet have only collected a troop each of T-34s and Panthers.
There used to be company packs available from one seller for a reasonable price, but I've been out of touch from the miniatures set for a long time.
Have you noticed that the hex grids on the maps do not line up properly?

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
It appears to be how the maps were cut.
d1, d3, and d6 line up with each other, while d2, d4, d5, and d7 mate with each other.
Otherwise there is about 3/8" or thereabouts overhang at one end when placing boards together.

In other words, the edges of the cardboard do not mate up between some of the boards, the hexes do in fact function as intended.

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I love the artwork of these maps! Looking at them reminds me of first discovering ASL years ago - for me, a very happy feeling!

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
They do have a fresh feel overall which I like.
I also like the clearly represented depiction of hill crests.
I find the SK boards a little hard to make out where the edge of the hills are due to lighting conditions and my color blindness.