Deluxe Overlays

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi, guys.

I'm trying to set up Deluxe scenario A13 The Mailed Fist and can't get the overlays to sit or size right. I'm using VASL 6.4.1 and have downloaded the latest boards and overlays from vasl.info.

For example when trying to add overlay DX1 to board cC5 I get a small hex in location B3. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

DeluxOL.png

johnl

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are you using the VASLOverlays extension? If not, you can download it from the VASL.info extensions webpage. Put the .vmdx file in your VASL extensions folder and you should be good to go.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
How can one place Deluxe overlays without using the overlays extension ?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
If the extension is the future of VASL, why isn't it fully part of it?
After what I seem to have read, the extension seems to still present issues.
So we now have two wonky systems to deal with.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
If the extension is the future of VASL, why isn't it fully part of it?
After what I seem to have read, the extension seems to still present issues.
So we now have two wonky systems to deal with.
The extension is still very new, i.e. post VASL v6.4.0, so it might need some finishing touches of minor issues that are discovered when people begin to use it. And IIRC the code gnomes have said that eventually it will become an inhererent part of VASL and the 'standard' way to handle overlays. However, all sorts of overlays (not only MMP) have to be incorporated step by step into the new extension. While this is not completed, there needs to be some period of time in which both the old and the new way have to be working in parallel.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What von Marwitz said. Well put. Thanks.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Making the previous way of placing overlays obsolete, while not providing a new way which works and which is part of the basic program is not the best move, IMO.
People not coming on GS (and there are more than one could imagine) are left to some guesswork.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
The current at-board-setup system is not obsolete or disabled. It functions in parallel to whatever you happen to drag on top of a board later.

The deluxe overlays have been broken for years and there isn't much interest in unbreaking them in the old scheme. The new scheme should make it easier to get them working again when someone decides to pick up that banner. (edit) Hey, look at that, already got some of them in there.

Last edited:

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are you using the VASLOverlays extension? If not, you can download it from the VASL.info extensions webpage. Put the .vmdx file in your VASL extensions folder and you should be good to go.
Wow! I am impressed! You da man, Big Al. Works like a charm.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Making the previous way of placing overlays obsolete, while not providing a new way which works and which is part of the basic program is not the best move, IMO.
People not coming on GS (and there are more than one could imagine) are left to some guesswork.
Your opinion is noted. Thank you. As mentioned, the old will eventually go away. Till then I thought the explanation on the VASL.info extensions webpage was sufficient. How would you change it?

Edit: we didn’t make the old way obsolete. It was doing that on its own and was cumbersome to repair. The new way does work and is much easier to update from a maintenance stand point.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Hey, BigAl, finally got around to playing with the latest version of the extension. That HTML overlay helper is a nice touch.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey, BigAl, finally got around to playing with the latest version of the extension. That HTML overlay helper is a nice touch.
Thanks Zgrose. Von Marwitz is the html master and I’m really impressed with the effects he creates. But html coding can get complicated and confusing fast so I thought this simplified html feature would make it a little easier to import custom made gif image overlays into VASL. I hope the help file is, well, helpful

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
I hope the help file is, well, helpful
The ALT+Left Click callout was VERY helpful, I was about to see if there was a OSX bug selecting overlays until I triple-checked the help.

You know what might be handy (along those lines) is if the first overlay in the list was an condensed Readme with the usage essentials like I see in some Roll20 packages.

Example attached.

Attachments