Deluxe overlays

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think I reported this years ago....

Ages ago, the DASL boards were done in an expanded size, so you could play in proper DASL format on them.

However, the dx overlays from Annual 95W (and the General) are still in the normal hex size, so you can't use them with the large boards.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think I reported this years ago....

Ages ago, the DASL boards were done in an expanded size, so you could play in proper DASL format on them.

However, the dx overlays from Annual 95W (and the General) are still in the normal hex size, so you can't use them with the large boards.
for VASL purposes....

using Deluxe Overlays - or the BF1 deluxe board - requires using VASL 5.9.3 or older. Good news - you can keep both versions of VASL side by side without any complications on your machine.

They are incompatible at this time with any of the VASL 6.x versions.

KRL, Jon H

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Even VASL no longer supports DASL.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Even VASL no longer supports DASL.
not true at all - Dennis Donovan and I just complete RbF 49 " From Bad to Wurselen" in VALS 5.9.3 this uses both board BF-1 and deluxe overlays/ all was no problems. You just need to remember to " downgrade" if you wish to run DASL via VASL.

KRL, Jon H

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
for VASL purposes....

using Deluxe Overlays - or the BF1 deluxe board - requires using VASL 5.9.3 or older. Good news - you can keep both versions of VASL side by side without any complications on your machine.

They are incompatible at this time with any of the VASL 6.x versions.

KRL, Jon H
So far as I know, the version of VASL should make no difference at all. You'd need the older, smaller version of the boards to make the overlays fit. And yes, VASL 5.9.3 (presumably; I tossed that version ages ago) doesn't support the large format DASL boards.

Please, lets just get the DASL overlays in the current board format, with the current (v5) board colors.

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So far as I know, the version of VASL should make no difference at all. You'd need the older, smaller version of the boards to make the overlays fit. And yes, VASL 5.9.3 (presumably; I tossed that version ages ago) doesn't support the large format DASL boards.

Please, lets just get the DASL overlays in the current board format, with the current (v5) board colors.
+1 for this...

JT

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

The version is an issue, due to the auto-update board checker routines in the newer VASL versions that swap out the (usable) older DASL board files withe (unusable with overlays) V5 board files.

VASL 5.9.3 does not incur this difficulty. Have used it successfully for "Aux Barricades", for "From Bad to Wurselen", for "The Mailed Fist" (twice). Its a back-step but a workaround to get into VASL - DASL games without waiting for the map gnomes to finally get around to DASL.

KRL, Jon H

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They work in 6.4 Beta. Just tried them out. Contact Doug Rimmer. He can get you hooked up.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They work in 6.4 Beta. Just tried them out. Contact Doug Rimmer. He can get you hooked up.
Board BF-1 and BF-2 does not work with any of the new version DASL boards. It only works with the 2002 version boards, and you cannot use any VASL version with an auto-update turned on, or when you load the scenario saved game, logfile , or pick new boards, it will auto update to the lettered boards in the current version - leaving you with the BF-1 or BF-2 boards being WAAY too small.

RbF 50 is the scen in question - workaround was a downgrade to VASL 5.9.3 and redirect to another folder with 2002 version DASL boards in it. - Those do not support terrain change SSR adjustments, so the players are up to remember no stairwells and wood buildings only.

KRL ,Jon H

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Board BF-1 and BF-2 does not work with any of the new version DASL boards. It only works with the 2002 version boards, and you cannot use any VASL version with an auto-update turned on, or when you load the scenario saved game, logfile , or pick new boards, it will auto update to the lettered boards in the current version - leaving you with the BF-1 or BF-2 boards being WAAY too small.

RbF 50 is the scen in question - workaround was a downgrade to VASL 5.9.3 and redirect to another folder with 2002 version DASL boards in it. - Those do not support terrain change SSR adjustments, so the players are up to remember no stairwells and wood buildings only.

KRL ,Jon H
Bummer.

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You can get around the auto-updater by setting the version in the old boards to the current version.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You can get around the auto-updater by setting the version in the old boards to the current version.
how do you do that? I do not even need to be on the server, just connects to the internet with a CPU running VASL 6.3.x or higher and the boar auto updates as soon as I select it from the drop down menu.

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The board archive is a zip file. Rename a copy of the board to bdXX.zip. There are two files that have the version - BoardMetadata.xml and a "data" file. Change the board version in these files.

Examples of what to look for:
BoardMetadata.xml: version="6.0"
data: version 6.0

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Here is a screenshot of the archive of the old board b - how do you change the version to report as the current version?

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The board archive is a zip file. Rename a copy of the board to bdXX.zip. There are two files that have the version - BoardMetadata.xml and a "data" file. Change the board version in these files.

Examples of what to look for:
BoardMetadata.xml: version="6.0"
data: version 6.0
there is a data file in the archive ,but no BoardMetadata.xml file is in the old archive...I do see with a text editor to open the data file the top line of the data file is "version 1.0" so okay, change this to read "version 6.0" , is that all that is required as there is no .xml files at all in the board archive?

Last edited:

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since this board is old there's no BoardMetadata, so skip that. You're half done. :) Double click on the "data" file and you'll see the version. Change that to the current version.

You may have to drap the file out of the zip archive to edit it. If so then just drap it back in after your edit it.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
its a bit of work to do all three regular DASL boards for the game in this manner - not too much. I don't want to give pu the v6 boards, so I presume it is a workable solution to name the old boards "bdbold"would that prevent the auto updater from running and allow me to select the older boards from the drop down menus in VASL 6.3.x?

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
its a bit of work to do all three regular DASL boards for the game in this manner - not too much. I don't want to give pu the v6 boards, so I presume it is a workable solution to name the old boards "bdbold"would that prevent the auto updater from running and allow me to select the older boards from the drop down menus in VASL 6.3.x?
Apparently not. my test on that failed - the drop down menu does not recognize the modified bdbold file at all.