Delux ASL

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dasl's dead, Jim......live with it.
Why should anyone accept that? All it needs is perhaps a rethinking of its applicability. If, for example, the Central Railway Station #1 was produced as a HDASL map(s), I'd be willing to bet it'd fly off the shelves**. If some way could be found to perhaps tie in a Deluxe treatment with a HASL situation (particularly a PTO version) a niche might be found for future DASL production. As many others have already mentioned, the ratio of really good, fun scenarios in the DASL fold is quite high. I don't quite get the 'lack of maneuver' argument as that isn't what it is/was intended for, rather it was intended to show in yo' face slugfests over a limited area without the skyscrapers stacks standard ASL would entain in these situations.

** Looking at my materials; The Central Railway Station CG could be played on 2 DASL maps. There would be a loss of a few hexrows width-wise, but length-wise it should be fine. It'd be neat if this pair of DASL maps could be bundled with VotG (unlikely) or packed in a later Journal. Just a thought...

Last edited:

synicbast

ASLOK Junkie
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llNew Zealand
Deluxe ASL also has two of the best training scenarios around:

Guryev's HQ DASL 1 (Opportunity Fire, Crossing defended streets)
Infantry Urban combat in an easily digestible form.

Ripe Pickings DASL 11 (Gyros, Bounding Fire, LATW, Sherman capabilities)
As a training tool, it's very good, especially now that bocage has been solved. I'd recommend this for anyone who intends to use Shermans a lot.

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I stumbled across this 3rd party website for these super detailed mini maps for Axis and Allies minis.

http://www.hbfronts.com/index.html

While I don't play the A&A minis, I was indeed impressed by the level of detail these folks put into their maps. Certainly, the hexes are quite large but I suspect not necessarily compatible with the old DASL boards, but hey I think I could use these for more DASL play anyway. Just wished that they created more than one map for each theme, though the current maps are quite large. I think that each hex is about 5 cm which is close to DASL size. :smoke:

These folks are ambitious, their first map is France 44, and new maps planned included Stalingrad and Guadalcanal.

The maps are 27" x 37" and cost $15 plus shipping.
Very tempted to grab a map, and I suspect I'll never look at the mini rules anyway. :halo: