Deflate gate: NFL investigates Patriots for tampering with game balls

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks like Pats are getting investigated by the NFL for deflating the balls. A deflated ball isn't going to get you 45 points, but given the Pats ethical lapses in the past, just something for people to talk about.

21Z5M

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just sour grapes in Indy. Those three rushing TDs were more than enough to win. As far as the past so-called "spy gate" was nothing more than any other team was doing its just that the Patriots continued to do it after being told not to do it.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Looks like there's smoke. Don't know if there's fire.

Fox Sports: 11 of 12 game balls used by Patriots in AFC title game underinflated, report says

ESPN: 11 of 12 Pats footballs underinflated

Yahoo Sports: Deflate gate reeks of foul play

The Boston Globe: NFL says balls did not meet specifications after being checked at halftime

I don't know that the Patriots are going to get the benefit of the doubt on this one, at least from the public, because they have been fined for cheating in the past under this same coach. And there have been multiple unsubstantiated accusations of cheating over the last couple of years.

The Pats are starting to get a reputation.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As I said in my original post, deflated balls isn't going to get you a 38 point win. Maybe it was purposeful or maybe the effect of the weather (inflated inside and the cold deflated the balls by half-time). Who knows. Not a Pat's fan and not crazy about the drama around their ethical lapses of the past, but I think a few people in the media need to get a grip and come to an very easy conclusion that deflated balls wasn't the reason the Pats won the game. The defense kicked the holy crap out of Luck and his boys and it is really that simple in my mind.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
1. How big a difference would the balls have made? 38 points? I think not.

2. Did both sides have to play with the same balls?

3. Are the officials at the game not required to pass balls as suitable for use? Could the players themselves not have complained at the time? Maybe they did, I don't know. I listened to the seahawks game but the NE one was too late for me.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
They complained at halftime and the balls were replaced. Interestingly enough, the Patriots performed much better in the second half than in the first, so from that point of view it was a non-issue.

AFAIK, both teams do use the same balls.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Last edited:

21Z5M

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Did you see the interviews today with Bill and Brady? The NFL has no evidence to pin this on the Patriots.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Did you see the interviews today with Bill and Brady? The NFL has no evidence to pin this on the Patriots.
Kind of sounds like a sound byte from a true believer. Anyone with half a brain can figure out that it isn't past the Pats to cheat and have a record of being accused of playing with deflated balls. Reminds me when we were told by the Clintonistas that it was only about sex too.

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They complained at halftime and the balls were replaced. Interestingly enough, the Patriots performed much better in the second half than in the first, so from that point of view it was a non-issue.

AFAIK, both teams do use the same balls.
No, each team uses there own balls. They even use different balls for kicking than for regular plays.

But you know what they say "If you ain't cheating you ain't tryin." Is it really any different than calling a pick play and trying to get away with it? Which they do most of the time. Or purposely holding a receiver who has obviously beaten the DB?

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
After watching this video, now I'm not so sure. Bettis is someone I generally respect and he, along with both of the other players, didn't buy a word of it.

Watch the whole video.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/12212777/tom-brady-new-england-patriots-says-alter-footballs

All that said, I can't see punishing the Patriots without more definite proof of wrongdoing. However, I do agree it looks bad. And if the NFL can find no additional evidence, then unfortunately the Patriots are going to be tarred as cheaters who got away with it and the whole league will suffer. Even though it bears mentioning that the advantage here would be minimal.

I will say this. I respect Belichick and I actually like his "us against the world" style most of the time. He doesn't say much, he doesn't give a piss what people think, he just wins. Old school, man. But. . . in this particular case, his kiss-my-ass attitude is not doing him any favors.

21Z5M

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The NFL has nothing to work with where is the smoking pin?. Move along nothing to see. No cheating in Spygate either. In Bill We Trust. The Clinton are DBs. A little air out of a ball big deal. The second have the Patriots out scored the hapless colts 28-0 and that was with new fully inflated balls. Number 12 can score at will.

Marty Ward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You mean it was just a random chance that 11 out of their 12 balls lost air pressure and none of the Colts balls did? Or did someone from the Colts sneak onto the Pats bench, grab their closely watched game balls without being seen, bleed out some air, put them back and then sneak off without being seen?

21Z5M

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Colts may have over inflated their balls. None of this really matters the Patriots would have won the game either way. Did you see the press conference on Saturday with Coach? Confidence just confidence.

Marty Ward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Colts may have over inflated their balls. None of this really matters the Patriots would have won the game either way. Did you see the press conference on Saturday with Coach? Confidence just confidence.
They checked all the balls before the game so no they weren't over inflated, they were all within spec. It obviously didn't affect the outcome of the game but I wish the Pats would stop acting like politicians and just accept responsibility that SOMETHING happened to the game balls while they were in their possession instead of throwing out all these reasons why nothing it's not their fault.

21Z5M

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Seems like the refs didn't do their jobs and cut corners

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well its been almost a month and nothing from the NFL.

Patriots destroy Indianapolis by running the ball and then the Patriots win the Superbowl..... But still no news from the NFL.

How hard is it to investigate a football?

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well its been almost a month and nothing from the NFL.

Patriots destroy Indianapolis by running the ball and then the Patriots win the Superbowl..... But still no news from the NFL.

How hard is it to investigate a football?
Hey Brady and Bilichek are 'Douches" but this whole deflategate is stupid.