Definition of equipment

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The phrase Unit/equipment is used extensively in A26.2 Victory Conditions but equipment is not defined in the index. Is equipment anything that can be possessed by a Unit? Is a fascine counter equipment? The definition of equipment is not really ambiguous in determining VP but I find it odd that it is not defined in the index.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
A26.212 speaks about vehicles and equipment - in an exhaustive way.
So, from its description, equipment is aircraft and non-vehiclar Guns - the rule goes on speaking of vehicles, of which are excluded motorcycles, Goliaths, Boats and Gliders, which are nor equiment, nor vehicles.
26.212 VEHICLES & EQUIPMENT: Each aircraft [EXC: Gliders] and non-vehicular Gun is worth two VP. Each vehicle (including Wagon/Sledge, but excluding motorcycle/Goliath/Boat/Glider) is worth one VP plus: one VP for a MA which is not malfunctioned/disabled; one VP for every multiple of five AF (FRU; a 0 AF is worth one VP) based on the AFV's single strongest AF (VP for any PRC are determined as per 26.211). See G12.84 for the VP value of LC and F.3 for the VP value of Guns/vehicles in desert scenarios.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
For VC purposes I think you can assume that "equipment" = "vehicles and Guns". When a VC e.g., says "prisoners/captured-equipment" it means just that.

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The use of equiment is clear for the purposes of determining VP, but it's use is not consistent with how it's used in other parts of the rulebook. E.g.:

A4.32 BROKEN IN BYPASS: Infantry that voluntarily ends its MPh in an obstacle hex must pay the full MF cost of that obstacle unless it entered at the road movement rate (4.132); Infantry may not voluntarily end its move using Bypass. If the unit breaks while using Bypass, it remains in the open portion of the obstacle hex until the end of its MPh and is subject to the FFNAM (and usually also FFMO) DRM for multi-hex movement in the open for additional First Fire attacks made against it to or through the hexsides it traversed during that MPh. The broken unit and all portaged equipment are assumed to be in the obstacle during and after Final Fire.

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A25.32 ORDNANCE: All U.S.-built AFV/ordnance [EXC: ATR/MG], including such equipment used by other nationalities (identified by the (a) in the name), uses red To Hit Numbers prior to 1944 and black To Hit Numbers thereafter.

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A25.54 PRE-12/43 EQUIPMENT: For scenarios set prior to 12/43, Free French use (without Captured penalties) certain British SW, vehicles and Guns, and the rules covering them.

Last edited:

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It seems to me the references you cite give you the answers... e/g portage equipment...thus means SW and any Ordnance that can be portaged...e/g anything with an "(a)" also becomes equipment....
Failing that what EXACTLY are you looking at to be or not to be 'equipment'. You have left, it seems to me, your central question un-asked. Or are you on a general topic...if so then this post does not belong here. But I think you do have a specific point to ask, but are skirting the central question...

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The questions in the OP are really rhetorical I guess; I'm not asking a question so much as making an observation. The use of equipment has no meaning outside the context in which it is used, which if fine, but somewhat odd given the energy that's gone into clarifying terms in the index.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The questions in the OP are really rhetorical I guess; I'm not asking a question so much as making an observation. The use of equipment has no meaning outside the context in which it is used, which if fine, but somewhat odd given the energy that's gone into clarifying terms in the index.
Indexes are actually subjective in many ways themselves...they rely heavily (to be a good one) on the energy (as you rightly noted) of the compiler.
As you were just making an observation we best keep QT now as this is really rules section of the forum.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The Index could have a definition of what is equipment.
The problem, however, would to be sure that such a definition applies to all the rules speaking of equipment.

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
Is everything than can be Portaged "equipment?"
Seems like the word is mostly being used conversationally but sometimes as a Term Of Art.
"simply" make a list distinguishing the two usages...
rules written by committee without digital revision notation.