Defining "Winning"

murphstein

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK, here's another stoopid noobie question:

How do you determine what constitutes "winning" in a scenario?

Take, for example, 2WIN.

I known that there are 79 VPs spread out around the map in objectives worth from 1 to 5 VPs each.

I also know that there are 4 locations the Allies want to take by the end of the game (i.e., 20 June 44), which they did NOT actually reach historically. Each of the 4 Allied super-objectives is worth 30 VPs if taken and held at the end of the game.

And finally, I know there are 3 more Axis objectives the Allies want to deny to them, which they accomplished historically, which will deprive the Axis of 30 VPs each.

So, how do I decide what objectives I need to go after to secure a win? I don't know from the scenario briefing what constitutes a draw; I just know that I start with an overwhelming defeat at -138 VPs or so. Do I just need to get back to zero for draw, or is that a win, and how do you know?

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Beats me. Each time I play, I am surprised by the outcome. Sometimes the victory levels jumps from Draw to Significant Victory within one turn and I have absolutely no clue why. :surprise:

Goliath

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I have seen references to a victory point calculator that I suppose would give at least part of the answer, but I don't know where to find it :crosseye:

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Victory points and respective victory levels:

Victory Level.................% of VP's Held
Overwhelming victory.....100 to 81
Significant victory..........80 to 71
Marginal Victory.............70 to 61
Draw............................60 to 41
Marginal defeat..............31 to 40
Significant defeat...........30 to 21
Overwhelming defeat.......1 to 20

And the link to General Staff's VP calvulator: http://www.warfarehq.com/toaw/VictoryLevelCalculator.zip

Foggy

Reaction score
Victory points and respective victory levels:

Victory Level.................% of VP's Held
Overwhelming victory.....100 to 81
Significant victory..........80 to 71
Marginal Victory.............70 to 61
Draw............................60 to 41
Marginal defeat..............31 to 40
Significant defeat...........30 to 21
Overwhelming defeat.......1 to 20

And the link to General Staff's VP calvulator: http://www.warfarehq.com/toaw/VictoryLevelCalculator.zip
You'll also know "inside" that you have won :) VP bugs, etc. - you'll just know looking at the map that you've won;) Any opponent worth keeping will say congrats - time for a mirror scen:D

murphstein

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My original question was really about determining "realistic" vs "required" objectives at the outset of the scenario. In 2WIN, for instance, is it realistic (or required?) for the Allies to try to take all 4 of their "stretch" objectives -- Cherbourg, St. Lo, Torigny and the ridge -- in 14 days? Over-ambitious plans often involve risks you'd rather avoid if you can...

General Staff

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
My original question was really about determining "realistic" vs "required" objectives at the outset of the scenario. In 2WIN, for instance, is it realistic (or required?) for the Allies to try to take all 4 of their "stretch" objectives -- Cherbourg, St. Lo, Torigny and the ridge -- in 14 days? Over-ambitious plans often involve risks you'd rather avoid if you can...
No. I usually forget Cherbourg though I try to threaten it and if I see an opportunity go for. I try for the ridge as an elusive goal and if I get it- great. St Lo definitely a milestone.

These thoughts should get you a win though you appear to have an intellectual firepower that should see you through to these answers in a 'hot seat' game, since you're clearly now beyond the basics.