Defensive Fire Phase (Final Fire)

Mark Humphries

Reaction score
Country
llPhilippines
I posted the following question on Consimworld but it hasn't yet elicited a response so I hope you all won't mind if I cross-post it here.

Hypothetical: The enemy MPh has ended and I have a MG which has no First Fire Marker that is posessed by a MMC with a First Fire Marker.

Am I correct in assuming that I have the following three options open to me?

Option 1: I only fire the MG (at full FP?), and keep firing it as long as it makes its ROF and doesn't cower, then place a Final Fire Marker on both the MG and the posessing MMC.

Option 2: I only fire the MMC (as Area fire on an adjacent enemy), then place a Final Fire Marker on both the MG and the MMC.

Option 3: I fire the MMC and MG together (as Area Fire on an adjacent enemy), then place a Final Fire Marker on both the MG and the MMC.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1. Yes, but you might run into CA restrictions. The MMC can Final Fire on an adjacent (ADJACENT?) unit after you shoot the MG. (which I believe can also shoot on the unit, barring any CA restrictions)

2. You could do this, but why not shoot the MG first? Note: point blank fire will cancel the area fire, so your firepower will be normal.

3. I am not 100% certain on this and NRBH, but I think if one of the units/SW fires as final fire, you must fire all of them as final fire, so this would be correct. Note again the Point Blank modifier would make it normal firepower.

In most cases, it would be best to shoot the MG first and hope you don't cower so you can shoot the inherent at the adjacent unit. If you *need* that shot on the adjacent unit, you might not want to risk the cower.

Others (with rulebooks handy) should be able to fill in more, but I hope this helps for now.

Mark Humphries

Reaction score
Country
llPhilippines
Thanks very much for your help Will, much appreciated.

>I think if one of the units/SW fires as final fire, you must fire all of them as final fire [snip]

I'm aware this is the case with FPF but I didn't realize this was also the case with Final Fire. I'll look it up next time I have the RBH.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Thanks very much for your help Will, much appreciated.

>I think if one of the units/SW fires as final fire, you must fire all of them as final fire [snip]

I'm aware this is the case with FPF but I didn't realize this was also the case with Final Fire. I'll look it up next time I have the RBH.
I think that only applies to SFF and FPF - not to fire in the DFPh.

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
I think that only applies to SFF and FPF - not to fire in the DFPh.
True. During the DFPh, firing with First Fire-marked weapon (MG or Inherent FP) doesn't affect anything but that weapon. So:

* A MMC and its SW may fire separately even if one/both are marked with First * A MMC marked with First Fire can fire inherent FP and unmarked MG together without halving of the MG's FP.

It is easy to assume that those negative consequences apply during the DFPh, but they don't, since they are mentioned in A8.3, while A8.4 controls the DFPh.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I stand corrected on #3. From A8.3:
Whenever a unit uses Subsequent First Fire, it must use all MG/IFE in its possession (up to the unit's normal operation capabilities; 7.35-.353) as Subsequent First Fire or forfeit their use for the remainder of that Player Turn (barring FPF); a squad may not split its usable inherent FP from that of its MG/IFE during Subsequent First Fire unless it opts to not use the remaining FP/SW at all.

That restriction is just for DFF/DSF as stated by the above posters. Thanks for the good info!

Mark Humphries

Reaction score
Country
llPhilippines
True. During the DFPh, firing with First Fire-marked weapon (MG or Inherent FP) doesn't affect anything but that weapon. So:

* A MMC and its SW may fire separately even if one/both are marked with First * A MMC marked with First Fire can fire inherent FP and unmarked MG together without halving of the MG's FP.

It is easy to assume that those negative consequences apply during the DFPh, but they don't, since they are mentioned in A8.3, while A8.4 controls the DFPh.
The answer I've gotten so far from Perry Cocke on Consimworld seems to disagree on the second point, although I'm not sure if this is his final stand on the issue.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A8.4 and A8.41 are pretty clear that the MG can fire without halving and capable of ROF. The only question is whether the MG can fire after the manning squad earns a final fire counter. I don't see anything in the rules that would call for this in the DFPh, as opposed to the MPh where it is clear under the SFF/FPF rules.