Defense in depth, or put it all on the line?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I originally posed this question to the ASL players in that forum and it sparked an interesting debate. I'm curious to see how the opinions on this differ with TacOps players.

Don Maddox said:
I've seen a lot of different wargaming styles and most of them seem to boil down to two basic types in most cases. I'll call them the killer stack method and defense in depth for lack of better terms.

I would define the killer stack method as a style where the defending player seeks to build a very strong line of interlocking defenses with almost everything he has forward deployed. Large machine guns, ordinance and even vehicles might be integrated right into this network. This kind of defense can indeed be strong, but it can also prove brittle if hit in the right way. The obvious advantage is that the defender stands less chance of being defeated "in detail" while the attacker picks off his units one at a time. Instead, the defender is able to concentrate his firepower for maximum effect right from the beginning. Attackers will likely attempt to penetrate such a defense as quickly as possible and thus minimize the amount of time spent in exposed positions.

The disadvantages of the killer stack method are also clear. If the defense can be decisively penetrated at any point the entire line might prove untenable and force a general withdraw. Should this occur there will likely be a short time where a significant portion of the defender’s units are somewhat disorganized and exposed while they attempt to redeploy into fall-back positions. An attacker who hits the line with enough force to affect a penetration and then aggressively exploits this penetration has a good chance of inflicting so many casualties that the battle will be won.

The other kind of defense is what is generally referred to as defense in depth. This defense is built around the concept that artillery and long range weapons systems are always the greatest threat and always pose the greatest risk of inflicting mass casualties. Large concentrations of troops are to be avoided as these simply create target-rich environments and make the attacker’s job easier. Instead, the defender carefully constructs a layered defense using interlocking fields of fire and kill zones. Terrain will have a major influence on how such a defense will be implemented as will the number and type of troops available. Although some strong points might be integrated into a defense in depth in order to safeguard key terrain, the bulk of the force would not be lumped together. The advantage of this method is that artillery and other long range weapons will be far less effective. It may also be difficult to overcome single defensive points by using smoke because each point is protected by mutually supporting positions. Because the defense has depth to it, this can work to give the defender a small amount of time to reposition forces deployed to the rear should that become necessary during the course of the battle without disrupting the entire line.

This method also has disadvantages. Because the defense is somewhat more dispersed it may not be possible to inflict as many casualties on the attacker. Also, there is a risk of units being defeated in detail should the attacker make effective use of smoke, fog or darkness (but that is always a risk to some degree no matter how the defense is setup).
There are other types of defenses as well and I’m oversimplifying this a great deal in order to make the distinction clear. A mobile defense can prove to be the strongest in a lot of situations, but this type of defense is highly dependant of the type of equipment available, logistics and the weather. This is also a much more complex form of defense and takes more skill to pull off.

How do you generally tend to play when on defense? Are you an everything up-front man, or do you prefer depth?

GCoyote

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I try to stay flexible. Getting too comfortable with only one way of doing things is going to catch up with you sooner or later. Having said that, I try to use the depth of the battle space to the maximum extent possible.

I try to meet the attacker as far forward as possible with a covering force, a guard force, or at least a scout screen. I'm a big fan of UAVs, Recon Teams, LRSDs, using an airstrike for recon, scout helos, anything that will get me information. I want to strip away the enemy's eyes and ears before he can get a handle on my dispositions. I use artillery freely to slow, degrade, and weaken the attacker before he contacts my main force. And I register TRPs throughout the battlespace as deep as I can whenever I don't have worthwhile target to pound.

I look to place static defensive units only on the most important terrain. I prefer to be able to withdraw a unit by a covered route than leave it to die-in-place. I keep a strong mobile reserve whenever possible.

tinjaw

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I most often choose a defense in depth; with a mobile reserve if possible! Next I chose a defense with fallback positions. I will only go with a stacked defense as a last alternative.

Gary

Reaction score
Country
ll
With TacOps I try to keep to what works in real life. It seems to me with this one that what gets you killed in the real world gets you killed in TacOps.

I usually go for depth defence. Placing a screen forward to engage the enemy recce units and force him to deploy his follow on units. Artillery I place with at least half of its max range behind my FEBA. I try to place the kill teams with interlocking fire zones and where possible with covered exits and I keep a mobile reserve as a fire brigade.

Gary

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Defence in depth - "killer stacks" are usually treated to a "killer sheaf" of artillery shells. :( Likewise, a fixed defence is asking for a treatment of artillery.

TF Gallagher is a great scenario for practicing this. You have to deploy in the center of the map - but you can push scouts forward to engage the enemy earlier, and move parts of your forces westwards to form the mobile reserve. You've got 10-12 km of map to defend in; defending in a thick crust across ~07 easting throws much of that away. Using a series of shoot-n-scoot ambushes back towards a final defence line, pounding on opfor with artillery and airpower all the while, you're likely to take lower losses and give the opfor a headache in the process.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like to concentrate, and seek decisive moments, so slowly wearing down the enemy doesn't work for me. Everytime I try to stack defenses into different egagement areas I end up having them just taken out one by one.

I also think that falling back after one blow, to the next line behind you, is much harder in most wargames than it is in reality. The real world confusion that the enemy feels when you deliver one hard blow isn't really felt by the game commander who just sends in the reserves without much trouble. Absolute spotting will also mean that if your retreating defenders have a small LOS window to one harmless attacker it means all the nasty attackers will know it right away, too.

When I concentrate, I don't concentrate the weapons themself, but where they are shooting. Given different ranges, that naturally distributes the targets I present and also makes the enemy less effective with return fire which will now have to cover greater angles and more adjustment distance.

But as I said, I'm certainly a player where one kill zone is prepared (or built during the attack).