Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
James "Maggie" Megellas, the most decorated officer of the 82nd Airborne, died on April 2, at the age of 103.
I strongly recommend his book "All the Way to Berlin" and the documentary "Maggie's War".

https://www.fdlreporter.com/story/news/2020/04/03/james-maggie-megellas-fond-du-lac-war-hero-dies-age-103/2938815001/
Very sad to hear. Met him several years ago when he was vising the father of one of my best buddies (his father was also a 3/504 guy from WI, Bill "Knobby" Walsh (awarded the DSC during the Bulge at Cheneux & also made the canvas boat assault across the Waal as well as was in Sicily, Salerno & Anzio). Pretty unassuming guy but sure had a blast after we threw down a couple of brewskies and listened to those guys BS. I didn't know he had written an autobiography but have to pick it up the next time I'm in Fondy (Fond Du Lac). I don't know if he is mentioned in "All American, All the Way" but sure wouldn't doubt it as Bill is (also in "Devil's in Baggy Pants"). I wish I had known of some of the other things he had accomplished after the war as he was just a WW-II VFW guy to me when we met and the conversation was mostly just BS.