Decisive Action "wish list"

Deltapooh

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry for taking so long to reply.

You can download Curt's DA Primer here

As for estimating distances. Draw a path, and look in the status bar, there should be an estimated range and number of turns required to reach the end of that path.

Sniper

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
TAI Request

I would like to see the size or shape of the TAIs change.

Reason: In one of my first games (BHorse1), I placed an TAI directly over the top of a friendly blue unit. The unit was completly hidden and as the game progressed, I completely forgot about the unit under the TAI until it took a royal thumping from the advancing red units. As a possible alternative, display all friendly units when in the graphics mode.

Thanks,
Randy

WNourse

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Enable Right Mouseclick request

It would be great to enable the right mouseclick and have access to the various toolbar/menu options available (ie set target, sead, cffz, etc on an Opfor unit or location - enter movement mode for friendly unit, etc).

Will

MikMyk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ability to zoom in and out of the map. Not real annoying or anything but its there.

IntelGuy

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Must have:
Display units when in graphics menu!!!

Nice to have:
I would like to see a unit's HQ be highlighted when I click on it. Or maybe something like in POA 2, where lines are drawn between HQ and subordinate units.

Last edited:

cbelva

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
IntelGuy said:
Must have:
Display units when in graphics menu!!!:QUOTE]

You can already do this. Just go to the Options menu in the graphics menu and choose "view blue" or "view red" or "view all" and all the units will appear on the map. :cool:

terror

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
sos required

Good day to you all. I am looking to start playing Decisive Action and I am looking for anybody that is like minded. So any help in this matter would be appreciated.
I am situated in the UK and have all the time available to learn my way around this Simulation (Decisive Action). So if dedication is called for then count me in.
I have a large military back ground .now retired.
Worked with doing NATO Planning.
I also like to have fun.
Also need help trying to track this game down in the UK (slippery mother finding a lot about it).
So I look forward to hearing from you.
So until later then. take care Terror.

Gary

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi,

Once you have this one I would be prepared to play through some pbem scenarios with you. The only place you can get Decisive Action here in the UK is from Strategic Plus Software. www.sps-systems.co.uk

If they haven't got it they will get it for you or you can order direct from HPS. Takes about fives days for games to arrive here from them

terror

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Garry, A very big thank you for the prompt return to the post concerning (Decisive Action)..
I have now paid and ordered the game so thank you again.
Now the big Question about support’ I belong to an on line clan who play battle- field-2. This is our link we are most ex service men, do we have any thing like this for this game.http://www.3rdranger.org/ :) are you able to use MSN and chat on line and do you use team speak.

Gary

Reaction score
Country
ll
The only active support/player area for Decisive Action that I am aware of is here. The members tend to be mainly serving or ex forces members. Decisive Action and for that matter most of the other sims supported here are niche market sims. They generally appeal to gamers who are seeking sims that truely mimic military planning with great detail and depth. Hence the reason that if you want to buy HPS or Shrapnel games in the UK you either have to buy them direct from the U.S. or Strategic Plus who are the sole suppliers here in the U.K.

cheers

Gary

bongotastic

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
A small wish for the list

Just a convenience,

It would be great if UAVs and helo could remember their previous patrol trajectory so we don't have to replot every turn.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
The last time I talked to Jim it seemed unlikely that there would be any additional changes or improvements to the civilian version of DA. The game just didn't generate enough interest to justify his time and effort.

There is a military version of DA which contains some significant changes from the civilian version. However, some of these changes are really only suitable for a training environment and would actually serve to make the game less enjoyable and more work for a single player. At one point Jim was considering porting some of these changes to the civilian version if there was interest in doing so.

I can't speak for Jim, but I would be surprised if there is much official support for DA in the future. My feeling is that he is a little burned out on DA and wants to move on to a more "fun" project.

bongotastic

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
That is fair enough, although too bad.

I found DA as I was gathering ideas to write my own simulator. I want to implements:

1 - some aspects of command and control based on Entropy-based warfare ( http://www.mors.org/publications/phalanx/dec00/feature.htm ). This will alsom comes with an enhance modeling of the fog of war for the friendlies, terrain and foes. The overall result would lead to maintain the fastest operational tempo.

2 - unlimited map size and resolution to allow to have large theaters including some high-resolution areas without soaking up the memory in terrain encoding. This can be done using odd tessellation techniques and other newish data structures. This would also allow scaling without problems.

3 - Browsable logs and stats for all units.

4 - More detailed logistic system, but with staff routines to actually take the load off the player. Supply classes, dumps, spoilage and pilfering, medical infrastructure, etc... The player would only have to determine priorities in case of conflict and the rest will follow.

5 - Easy extendability to write custom routines, AI doctrines and staff preparation, new systems using an open-source license and a very convenient programming language: python.

6 - An umpire interface similar to TacOps.

DA may be the closest thing to what I've been looking for in a long time, though. I have a lot of fun playing with it even if I have to plot 6 UAV's paths for 48 turns manually :crosseye:

cheers,

C

Hub

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Grab and drag or mouse wheel to scroll the map window would be nice to have...

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since this is the wish list:

I pretty much can't play this game because I have no capacity to memorize all the little cute icons in the task bar and elsewhere and I can't play often enough.

So every time I come back games like DA and ATF they require me to swap this stuff in manually. Needless to say, this makes me go back to other games that use a less memory intensive interface.

I would like to see a button that converts all the cute icons to text, like TacOps does. Another alternative would be to have every one of the icons with a "backup" in the pull-down menus.

DrMoloch

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MY wish list for DA? Here are a few items:

1.) Blue command and control and effectiveness of Blue sories is degraded due to Red ASATs and Red's ability to take down GPS satellites.

2.) Nuclear weapons. These would make the game unplayable if used in sufficient numbers, but the EMP effects would be interesting to play around with.

3.) A few extra premade maps for rolling your own scenarios.

4.) Airborne drops and amphibious landings

Dr M