Decisive Action news

Deltapooh

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scully said:
Thanks for the screen shot. I just love the way the game looks.
This is the dilemma of Decisive Action. The game looks great. I've had it for going on two years. Played it once, but never could bring myself to uninstall. When I got my new PC, take a wild guess what was one the first games I installed on it (After BCT and ATF)? DA. I would love to make some scenarios for it. When I first purchased it, I even thought about combining BCT and DA to build a scenario pack that people with both games could enjoy.

I'm going to try to have a go at it again. Maybe, if I apply myself........

John, your Axis of Evil Scenario looks great.

As for expanding the forum, I'll go with whatever changes occur. The more the merrier. I know the last DA forum here died out. However, I think alot of people still had it on their HD. Maybe this is DA's new beginning.

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
/me has it on HD...

better start breaking out the glossary all over again...

John Osborne

Reaction score
Hi Ivan,

Good points.

The reason I bought DA was that some of my military friends had it and was playing the game. They shown it too me and that was the reason that I got it. Plus being a retired military person who knows the ends and outs of military tactics had know problem playing it. :cheeky:

How ever if I didn't know about the game and there wasn't a demo for it. I for a fact wouldn't of gotten it. Even when POA2 didn't have a demo and I was reading the post about it and the problems players were having with it. My decision was not to get it and wait until the players using it were reporting that the game is working better.

With the DA patch 2.0.3 is a better help manual on how to use DA. I'm working on converting it to a pdf file so that it can be printed out. Old timers like me has to have a hard copy to read. :nuts:

John

Pat Proctor

President, ProSim Company
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don,

I have forwarded to Mike (aka Norad) a couple of articles on fires in the offense and defense (they are built in AAR format with a lot of screenshots). You might consider posting them to the more general, modern wargames, article archive as well.

You also have my permission to reprint the articles "Breaching 101" and "Building an Engagement Area" from Chapter 6 of the BCT and/or ATF manual (I can provide electronic copies if you want them).

You have a large repository of military experience here on the forum already (KB, Curt, John O and many more). I am certain if you sweet-talked a few of them, you could build quite a library of articles ;).

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
we really need Doug MacGregor and Daniel Bolger on this forum (chuck in John Antal and Robert Leonhard, and we've got a golf game :D )

DA is the sim I used to demonstrate the diff between tofflerian RMA firepower theory, and Fehrenbachian manuveur theory (to idiot 3rd year IR students, supposedly who "knew" strategy...) -> I'll see how big the .ppt file is and see if I can host it somewhere.

KANSAS! Here we COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEE! (said while bouncing along in a M-577 :) )

Scully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
John Osborne said:
I beleive NORAD and Scully can help me get my foot on the ground running to do it. :nuts:

John
Be careful what you wish for John... :)

John Osborne

Reaction score
Hi Don,

I just talked to Jim Lunsford and he said that he will support the DA thread. I'm working on getting TJ to drop by when he can and other DA Team members from Ft Leavenworth. Before I post about a DA Thread to the DA Yahoo Group. I need to know if it is a Go or No Go for the DA Thread?

John

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
There will be a DA forum. I'm working on some things for the main webapge at the moment, but I will set it up as soon as I'm able.

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Curt: if you're going to do a NK scn, add an aussie Bde, given our recent purchases, and expeditionary history in the region...

(not that I'm trying to get the austrlaisn in at any cost, nooooooo.......... :D )

DP: I've got a Chechen War Pt 2 scn floating about that I "tried" to get to work - maybe we can bounce ideas off each other (and the rest of the forum) as to how to get them to work properly :)

John Osborne

Reaction score
Thats Great! With Curt, Deltapooh, and Ivan working on new scenarios for DA. It will help bring in more players into the DA Thread when it opens. I too am working on part two of Axis of Evil scneraio that I made. I'm retouching up Axis of Evil, part one :D And getting off my butt to finish both Yom Kippur War scenarios :nuts:

Deltapooh, What is the DESERT PROMISE Playbook? I never heard of that :surprise:

John

Deltapooh

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
John Osborne said:
Thats Great! With Curt, Deltapooh, and Ivan working on new scenarios for DA. It will help bring in more players into the DA Thread when it opens. I too am working on part two of Axis of Evil scneraio that I made. I'm retouching up Axis of Evil, part one :D And getting off my butt to finish both Yom Kippur War scenarios :nuts:

Deltapooh, What is the DESERT PROMISE Playbook? I never heard of that :surprise:

John
DESERT PROMISE Storybook I'd been looking at this scenario for months. I had thought about this for ATF, but it is best suited for DA because of the scale.

I'm some distance from building a working scenario for DA. I have alot to learn about the game. However, given the improved help file, I am more committed to the game than I have been in the past.

John Osborne

Reaction score
Deltapooh said:
DESERT PROMISE Storybook I'd been looking at this scenario for months. I had thought about this for ATF, but it is best suited for DA because of the scale.

I'm some distance from building a working scenario for DA. I have alot to learn about the game. However, given the improved help file, I am more committed to the game than I have been in the past.
I just looked at Desert Promise Storybook. It looks like one hell of a scenario when you put it together :D I can't wait to try it.

John

Old&Slow

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
DA Ver2.03 problems

I can`t get Ver 2.03 to run due to the usual "OCX " problems, so I don`t know if they have an improved Scenario Design "Help" file in 2.03.

I have sent a EMail off to HPS Tech support and we will see what Greg comes up with.

I bring this up ( as one who has done 3 scenarios ) since the biggest problem with Scenario design is not the OB`s or the construct of the battles, which are pretty easy IMO, but the Map Creation, which is a real PITA to get scaled & scaned and working right, which is why you saw so few Scenarios for a Game that has been out for over 3 + years.

A new DA Thread here is a great idea , but unless Vince or more better Lunsford do a **_Detailed _ ** Map creation tutorial, and are available here to help, this game will just fizzle again IMO.

Mompariglia

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
PBEM problems with DA

Greetings. I've seen a lot of activity for DA, I hope anyone can help me with PBEM. I and Gary have tried to play PBEM but I can't open his save files (while he can open mine). Plus we tried with a TCP/IP game, but we failed here too, there was a sort of impossibility to establish a connection. Have you ever had these problems with DA? Note: I downloaded 203 patch. Thanks,
M

John Osborne

Reaction score
Old&Slow said:
I can`t get Ver 2.03 to run due to the usual "OCX " problems, so I don`t know if they have an improved Scenario Design "Help" file in 2.03.

I have sent a EMail off to HPS Tech support and we will see what Greg comes up with.

I bring this up ( as one who has done 3 scenarios ) since the biggest problem with Scenario design is not the OB`s or the construct of the battles, which are pretty easy IMO, but the Map Creation, which is a real PITA to get scaled & scaned and working right, which is why you saw so few Scenarios for a Game that has been out for over 3 + years.

A new DA Thread here is a great idea , but unless Vince or more better Lunsford do a **_Detailed _ ** Map creation tutorial, and are available here to help, this game will just fizzle again IMO.
Hi Old&Slow,

There are a couple of other players who are having problems with the patch due to the OCX problem. Jim has been sending it to the players who are having problems. I'm trying to get the file so that I can post it here. I didn't have the problem like your having. The patch worked fine on my computer :D

As for the help file, I asked Jim about the help file being in a pdf format and he said that they are working on the User's Manual which will be converted into a flat file. He also stated that they are updating the Help File. And Jim said that he will support the DA thread once that it is up and running. I'm talking to TJ and the rest of the DA Team at Ft Leavenworth too help support the thread.

John

Pat Proctor

President, ProSim Company
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does anyone know more about this "Desert Promise" scenario. Specifically, where did it come from? Is this a DOD product, or is this generated by someone else?

John Osborne

Reaction score
Pat Proctor said:
Does anyone know more about this "Desert Promise" scenario. Specifically, where did it come from? Is this a DOD product, or is this generated by someone else?
Hi Sir,

This is what I got about Desert Promise Storybook CINC USCENTCOM commences planning for operations in the Gulf of Oman, Persian Gulf, and on Iranian territory in order to restore freedom of navigation within these waterways and to remove the Iranian shipping threat.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/2001/DP_storybook.htm

John