Decision on WO2021?

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We're approaching the time when the WO announcement would normally be posted on the MMP site. Not sure if any final decisions have been made. The weekend it would normally be held is the one right before Inauguration Day next year, which has been a challenge in the past. Would fully understand if an in-person WO would be cancelled, but for now that appears to be an open question.

Last edited:

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm surprised there has been no announcement (or at least I can't find one).

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In my discussions with federal administrative law judges, I am struck by the observation that a suggestion of in-person hearings in July 2021 is overly optimistic.

echack

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In my discussions with federal administrative law judges, I am struck by the observation that a suggestion of in-person hearings in July 2021 is overly optimistic.

Given the news on SARS-CoV-2 vaccines over the last few days, the US could have as many as 270 million people vaccincated by then, well above herd immunity.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Given the news on SARS-CoV-2 vaccines over the last few days, the US could have as many as 270 million people vaccincated by then, well above herd immunity.
It would be a big industrial and logistical challenge to achieve that. Fingers crossed

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As Patton would probably say, "What are you doing, just standing around talking about it? Get to it!"
Advice that other persons should heed.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
An MD that I know states that her information suggests that there are four iterations/mutations of the virus floating around. The version that came from Italy and hit New York/New Jersey was far more deadly than the version that landed in Seattle, Washington. That's what I was told by people that have more information than I. If there are four versions, a vaccine would have to cover all four rna permutations. That might be harder than a therapeutic solution.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
First you have to convince people to get vaccinated. That may be harder than developing the vaccine.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
One could simply make previous vaccination a prerequisite for being able to attend the tournament.

von Marwitz
The obvious solution but may infringe upon medical privacy laws in the U.S. I don't know much about that law but it has been brought up a lot in connection with politicians who have covid.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
In France, 11 vaccines are mandatory, by law. Others vaccines (like against the flu) are recommended but not mandatory. I remember the personal carnet de vaccination we used at childhood, which had to be stamped each time i got a new vaccine inoculated.

echack

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
An MD that I know states that her information suggests that there are four iterations/mutations of the virus floating around. The version that came from Italy and hit New York/New Jersey was far more deadly than the version that landed in Seattle, Washington. That's what I was told by people that have more information than I. If there are four versions, a vaccine would have to cover all four rna permutations. That might be harder than a therapeutic solution.
There have been some minor mutations in the SARS-CoV-2 virus. But, none seen are significant. The increased fatalities in NY/NJ were probably due to rapid spread into nursing homes. The virus is significantly more deadly to those over 65.

None of the mutations affected the spike protein which the Moderna and Pfizer vaccine target. I'm not sure about the others, but they probably also target spike proteins.

echack

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
HIPAA is a set of restrictions on those that generate and store medical data. There is nothing in it that precludes voluntary disclosure by the person that the data concern. For example, I have waived HIPAA rights between my medical providers and my insurance company so that they can get claims paid. And since it is a law, it can be changed by Congress and signed by the President at any time. (I've had to deal with handling, storage, and disposal of HIPAA protected data, as has my spouse.)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
here have been some minor mutations in the SARS-CoV-2 virus. But, none seen are significant.
There have been significant mutations in Denmark. It spread from humans to minks and from minks back to a human. As a consequence 17 million minks are to be killed. If this variant "gets out" the currently developed vaccines which are about ready to be produced might be useless to counter it.

von Marwitz