Decision at Elst (Temp out of Print)

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Took 4 years to sell out. I doubt it will ever be printed again.
Hopefully it will, that is the only AH/MMP HASL I never got, having been released and gone out of stock while I was away from the game. Anyhow I'm curious to any and all who played it. How easily was it adaptable to regular ASL play.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hopefully it will, that is the only AH/MMP HASL I never got, having been released and gone out of stock while I was away from the game. Anyhow I'm curious to any and all who played it. How easily was it adaptable to regular ASL play.
Fiddling with it at the moment. I don't believe it would be a major undertaking as at least one scenario has the entire defending OB HIP at start anyway. The biggest balance issue I see at present is multi-level buildings as these add quite a bit of options for the Scenario Defender, especially so since they tend to be stone structures. Initial impressions of adding concealment seem to be somewhat offset by the addition of having vehicle crews (crew survival). One thought (not tried yet) was to add halftracks to the entering side's OB, though I have to check historical availability and ultimate influence of increased mobility. Pretty sure someone , probably someone much smarter than I, will come up with a viable adaptation.

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fiddling with it at the moment. I don't believe it would be a major undertaking as at least one scenario has the entire defending OB HIP at start anyway. The biggest balance issue I see at present is multi-level buildings as these add quite a bit of options for the Scenario Defender, especially so since they tend to be stone structures. Initial impressions of adding concealment seem to be somewhat offset by the addition of having vehicle crews (crew survival). One thought (not tried yet) was to add halftracks to the entering side's OB, though I have to check historical availability and ultimate influence of increased mobility. Pretty sure someone , probably someone much smarter than I, will come up with a viable adaptation.

cool. Thanks. I might see about getting that while any secondary market getting might be good.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
There are/were a couple threads on Elst in full ASL. I'd play the multi-level buildings as single story, but I've done it both ways. Concealment, I found, wasn't much of a problem because there are so few Germans that they tend to have to shoot early and often rather than skulk and wait for PBF. Frankly they could probably use the extra help staying unbroken as well.

If I were to suggest any changes, it would be to start CG scenario 1 with all Germans HIP or at a minimum give them a ton of ? counters. The opening scenario of the CG has so much potential for recon in force but instead the British player is either driving right up to German positions or managing his encirclement from the first MPh.

Also be prepared to deal with Fire in the RePh as you see fit.

I enjoyed both of my full ASL ruleset playings, but I think the Germans could use a bit of help balance-wise.

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's not out of print, it's out of stock.
Good God....

There should be a warning sign upon logging in that sobriety is a prerequisite for reading this forum.

out of print, out of stock, temporarily out of print. Temporarily out of Stock. and yeah Starter HASL?

peterd1973

Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llUnited States
When it's out of stock, they have all of the parts, they just have to box them and wrap them.

TheSQLGuru

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Take off the training wheels. By the time it is reissued you'll have played all the SK scenarios 10 times
According to my spreadsheet that is currently 111 scenarios, and 10X that is a BIG number and would take a LONG time! That is especially true given that one of them is the full campaign game in Decision at Elst and 8 of them are true monster scenarios from the design contest some years back. Oh, and lets add in 8 more from the PTO module due out later this year, plus the 10 more SK scenarios I know are in development from indie designers (including another monster).

It is a GREAT time to be an ASLSK player, even if that is all you ever wish to be (and there are quite a few of them)!!

Rooster2k

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
I have 3 on VASL that need some testing and then they will be available also

Rooster2k

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
2 of the 3 are up just finished #3 today. the VASL file is ready to test still have to type up the sheet.

TheSQLGuru

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hmm, did you post them to the Files section or in group posts? Can you PM me your user name so I can search for them?