Decision at Elst CG full with ASL rules.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm thinking of playing the Decision at Elst CG with full ASL rules. Looks to me just need to add snipers. Say 2 for Brits when they are attacking, 4 for the Germans when defending and maybe 3 for the Brits when defending and 3 for the Germans when attacking.

What do you think, one or two sniper counters per side?

Anything else I should consider?

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Feeling I owe you a serious answer today:

The other two big differences are concealment and bypass (you can cross obstacle dense areas much faster in ASL than ASLite). So I’d scout and see if you think either of those substantially favors one side or the other by upgrading the rules.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Anything else I should consider?
  • Are the building multi-level or not?
  • How to deal with the following between CG scenarios:
    • Heroes
    • Prisoners
    • Fires
The Germans get some fraction of eliminated squads back so we excluded prisoners from the available pool. Seemed the more "realistic" approach.
Been a couple years but those are the 4 items that I remember the most.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
We played this once with full ASL rules. Some tricky LOS problems with the church IIRC and I think we chose to keep them to ASLSK rules. I think we may have left the snipers out altogether, but played with as many ASL rules as we could.

Colin never takes prisoners so we didn't have to worry about that one. :)

Managed 5 CG days before my Brits packed it in. Brief write-up on the ASL Scenario Archive of our experience. We enjoyed it and it seemed to work well in ASL .

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Feeling I owe you a serious answer today:

The other two big differences are concealment and bypass (you can cross obstacle dense areas much faster in ASL than ASLite). So I’d scout and see if you think either of those substantially favors one side or the other by upgrading the rules.

Thanks. My son and I played a scenario or two from Elst a couple of years ago with ASL rules and concealment and bypass did seem to make a difference.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
  • Are the building multi-level or not?
  • How to deal with the following between CG scenarios:
    • Heroes
    • Prisoners
    • Fires
The Germans get some fraction of eliminated squads back so we excluded prisoners from the available pool. Seemed the more "realistic" approach.
Been a couple years but those are the 4 items that I remember the most.
Thanks. I'll probably play the buildings as they are. Now the church does have the steeple in ASLSK rules of the game so if there other buildings that might have a level 1 or higher maybe I'll allow it. Might offset something like Bypass movement.

Heroes, Prisoners and Fires, I'll cover by looking at another CG, maybe Riley's Road, for the how to handle them.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
IMO, Bypass will probably save one a handful of MP over the course of a scenario since the terrain is so open. It *can* setup some interesting lines of fire but that's probably not what most people worry about.

Concealment is another area that I think gets a bit overhyped for Elst. Since 90%+ of the board is covered with Hindrances instead of buildings/walls/hedges/etc, once you grow concealment, you're either doing nothing (good for the British) or you're losing it pretty fast. The half turn lost of Prep Fire for the British probably not going to be a large factor. At least in my playings.

Let us know how you find it. I've played it twice with standard ASL rules and it was fun.

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Was there ever an official conversion of this to full ASL?
No. Nor, would I expect there to be. MMP has multiple HASL irons in the fire at the moment making converting a product specifically designed for SK to be used with ASL rules an unwise dissipation of resources. However, MMP is nearing the release of an HASL depicting Japanese v. Chinese fighting for control of a bridge (the name escapes me at the moment) which will feature both SK and ASL rules.

agoldin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A friend and I played the CG with full ASL rules. It works. Only point of caution is to consider Polder as inherent terrain and not bypass-able otherwise the Shermans run free. Concealment, upper levels , fire lanes etc provide added realism without breaking the game.

Toby Pilling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I spent some time converting all the scenarios to ASL, then play testing them, before submitting them to MMP with some explanatory notes. I'd contacted them in advance with the proposal and they agreed they were interested. I recall Klas M being contacted to work on writing up the polder rules for ASL. I didn't have time to touch the CG though.
All this was years ago, after a conversation with several players in Copenhagen at the ASO, when we were all discussing the need for a conversion. Since then...nothing.
I'll email Chas to check on things. It was pretty much ready to be published in a journal.

Toby

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I spent some time converting all the scenarios to ASL, then play testing them, before submitting them to MMP with some explanatory notes. I'd contacted them in advance with the proposal and they agreed they were interested. I recall Klas M being contacted to work on writing up the polder rules for ASL. I didn't have time to touch the CG though.
All this was years ago, after a conversation with several players in Copenhagen at the ASO, when we were all discussing the need for a conversion. Since then...nothing.
I'll email Chas to check on things. It was pretty much ready to be published in a journal.

Toby
This I would enjoy seeing as an article in a Journal or the Operations mag.

Dave Lamb

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Toby
This was exactly what I was hoping someone would do and submit it for publication in a Journal. Many of us bought it to support the game, and it would be nice to play it with full rules someday.

Jeff Waldon

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States

Toby
Toby, you are the man! I look forward to seeing this.