Decision at Elst - ASLSK rulebook

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
There's already one available. It's called the ASL QRDC.
Using the ASL QRDC would require a rewrite of the ASLSK rule set. The TH/TK tables, as you are well aware, work a bit differently than those in the ASLRB. Each calibre/weapon type has its own TH/TK data set.

At present one needs to own most or all ASLSK TH/TK. Each Kit [EXC: ASLSK1, and ASLSK BP1] contains a different set of TH/TK based on the types of Guns/AFV included with the Kit. In order to play an ASLSK scenario published in Special Ops--one that contains Guns/AFV--one will need at least one TH/TK table from one of the Kits. In some cases, it is possible to need more than one TH/TK table. Provided one owned every Kit, Expansion Pack, and the HASLSK module, one would have the tables required to play any ASLSK scenario published in Special Ops to date.

Because ASLSK pubs are almost never in print concurrently, many TH/TK tables are not available. As a result, some scenarios in Special Ops cannot be played without certain tables. Admittedly, scenarios in Special Ops cannot be played without access to certain ASLSK boards and counters too. This is another unintended/unacknowledged consequence of the self-contained nature of most ASLSK pubs. With the exception of the Bonus Pack, which requires ownership of ASLSK1, all ASLSK pubs are standalone products.

I have not analysed the scenarios in Operations, and Special Ops, but I suspect that some scenarios require access to materials from more than one ASLSK pub. Given how difficult it can be for a player to obtain all ASLSK pubs in any given year, the value of scenarios published independently of an ASLSK pub is questionable.

In my view, there is little to be gained by acquiring the rule booklet in HASLK1 without also obtaining the TH/TK tables, the CG rule booklet (which contains the ordnance and vehicle notes, and which occasionally provide important info for game play, such as the Morale Level of a Tiger crew), and possibly the counter sheets. For example, if a scenario in a future issue of Special Ops were to feature a PzKpfw IIIN, a player would need the counter, and the TH/TK tables found on the HASLSK1 QRDC, both of which (IIRC) are only available in HASLSK1. However, if this scenario also required board q, for instance, a player would need to own ASLSK EP1 too, because the boards that came with the Expansion Pack are not available separately.

My advice to ASLSK fans is to buy everything as soon as possible after it becomes available. This is doubly important if one wants to make the most of all the ASLSK scenarios published in Special Ops and elsewhere. Most ASL players do this as a matter of course. ASLSK players have the advantage that while their pubs are in print, they are a fraction of the cost of ASL materials.

You want the Elst Rulebook you buy Elst.
Agreed. Best buy Decision at Elst now. That, or accept the fact that HASLSK1 will not only cost you a bundle in the future, but that lack of ownership may restrict your ability to play other ASLSK scenarios in the future.

Heck, I'd love for MMP to sell the ASL content in all their Special Ops separately, but they won't.
I'm with you on this.

Last edited:

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm currently updating my eASLRB section for the starter kit and there are very very few differences in the RB between the skep and dae ones. I would not bother updating if all you want is the RB.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I'm currently updating my eASLRB section for the starter kit and there are very very few differences in the RB between the skep and dae ones. I would not bother updating if all you want is the RB.
There are quite alot of small formatting differences, capitalizations, etc.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Brain Fart, my box says 2013, but I thought this came out earlier this year?

When did DaE hit the streets? 2013 or 2014?

Thanks.

bkemp01

Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States
I believe it went up for pre-order in 2013 but did not ship until 2014.

Brain Fart, my box says 2013, but I thought this came out earlier this year?

When did DaE hit the streets? 2013 or 2014?

Thanks.

defender7

Recruit
Reaction score
I'll dig this one up from the grave. It is now the year 2021. Mmp remains backwards thinking. There is still no DaE pdf.
Ill use HBO's relaxed attitude about Game of Thrones copyrights, early on. They ceased pursuit, the Game exploded with new viewers and shot to the moon. When I go to the mmp website, it looks lethargic and stuck in the 20th century.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I'll dig this one up from the grave. It is now the year 2021. Mmp remains backwards thinking. There is still no DaE pdf.
Ill use HBO's relaxed attitude about Game of Thrones copyrights, early on. They ceased pursuit, the Game exploded with new viewers and shot to the moon. When I go to the mmp website, it looks lethargic and stuck in the 20th century.
Well, there are current ASLSK rules for free on the MMP website along with some stuff for DaE.

I am not much into SK, so I don't care to look if more is needed.

If it ain't, well, that's just too bad.
It is an injustice that you get almost everything for free and can use VASL not to spend a penny on counters and the map. But then they just won't regale you with ALL the DaE stuff for free? An outrage!

How about your presenting the lot of us with free flights to Hawaii? Kinda like with a relaxed attitude. Tourism will explode with new visitors who would turn every last resident of the island into a millionaire. Some of us might even bring a free DaE for you to return the favor. If lethargy still lingers in a couple of years and it didn't come to pass until then, I might remind you.

🤪

von Marwitz

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
What pdf are you after? The TH/TK Tables, the Elst CG Rules, the ASLSK rules, the map, the counter sheets, box cover art, what exactly?

defender7

Recruit
Reaction score
All the SK rules should be free, including elst. Par for the course, and any reasonable expectancy. The company is living in the last century. Wise up, mmp, or your practices may become the subject of litigation, instead of your alternate future.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
All the SK rules should be free, including elst. Par for the course, and any reasonable expectancy. The company is living in the last century. Wise up, mmp, or your practices may become the subject of litigation, instead of your alternate future.
The ASLSK rules for Elst are the same as those for ASLSK3, EP1, and EP2. And while the rules for ASLSK4 do contain material that is not relevant to Elst, the core rules are otherwise the same as those for ASLSK3. And as "von Marwitz" has noted, the most current ASLSK rule set is available as a complimentary download on the MMP site, and has been for some time.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Dude, this sounds out of touch with the ground - just like Snoopy on his dog kennel.
Have a good flight, though...

von Marwitz

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
You could drop MMP and ask about it. They typically don't "monitor" these forums...

FMFCB

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llCanada
Don't see how there could be any litigation???

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
All the SK rules should be free, including elst.
Of course you don't care, right, because you own the physical product already? I mean, if you want a PDF of the rules so badly, you could just scan your own copy. Right??

BTW, what stuff do you own that I can have for free? Stuff that you've created, I mean, not somebody else's work. Your stuff. You're living in the 21st Century aren't you? Come on, start giving!

If you haven't actually created anything (which is probably the case, since you're obviously no older than 12) then I'll take whatever you've got that you spent a lot of money on. Cough it up, you wouldn't want to be seen as an ignorant hypocrite would you?