December Screenshots CMN at BFC

junk2drive

Reaction score
Looks nice from the shots, TOW like.

Big news is that the dev of Empires of Steel got the DRM removed from his game. Does this signal something for BFC or did they just not care about an indy game?

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, I'm just reading the thread now and am alittle bit caught off guard at the speed of the reactions. WHen I started reading the thread it was 2 pages long and keeps growing faster than I can read it. It 's like unraveling a sweater that someone keeps on knotting and knitting and knitting........(who knows that reference?)

Sgt_Kelly

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Credit where credit is due. If the game works as well as it looks, it may have been worth the wait.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Some of Steve's comments:

Now that we've started the process of fixing the graphics glitches we feel it's time to post a few shots. More will come in the very near future and then hopefully soon after you guys will be able to post your own screenshots.

What do I mean by "soon"? Does "soon" mean December? No, definitely not in December. To do that we would have to be ready today and that's not the case.
5. General graphics optimizations have not bee:thumbsdown: done yet.
Not only are the tree models different, but the entire system for rendering vegetation was changed from CM:SF.
We're not sure how detailed we can make the gun crew animations this time around. But it's definitely a high priority for animation work.

Yup, it can rain. Fog too.
While there haven't been many code changes to the UI, the graphics have been completely overhauled to be of a WWII Normandy theme.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Credit where credit is due. If the game works as well as it looks, it may have been worth the wait.
How good does it really look? The hardware seems okay, but the animations in CM:SF always looked like the people were walking underwater and everything seemed to take way too long to accomplish. It was the same in CM:BO - there is video online of, for example, Universal Carriers spinning on their axes in a few seconds flat, whereas in the game it could take the better part of an entire game turn to excrutiatingly execute a simple pivot. I look at the awkward stances on some of those G.I.'s and have to wonder if things have improved.

The 3D models for the humans don't seem realistic, either - better than CMX1, obviously, but still kind of alien.

The worst are the German uniforms, which are supposed to be wool. They look like lumps of play-dough with a strange sheen to them, and despite the fact there were a number of shades of "field grey" in existence by 1944, I don't think they managed to capture a sense of a single one of them with whatever hue that is supposed to be in the screenshots, monitor settings notwithstanding. I thought AndrewTF had some really great uniform mods for CMX1 and is probably the benchmark as far as these things go; his uniform cloth was outstanding and gave a real sense of both colour and texture.

That nitpicking aside, the terrain is obviously evocative of Normandy, or at least more of Normandy than of Syria. Frankly, I'd be more concerned about it being evocative of CM:BO than of any other "reality". :)

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
... despite the fact there were a number of shades of "field grey" in existence by 1944, I don't think they managed to capture a sense of a single one of them with whatever hue that is supposed to be in the screenshots, monitor settings notwithstanding.
Steve agrees with you:

Yes, the uniforms look a tad too gray to me too. Note, though, that they were pretty gray by this point in the war. But they should be darker gray, me thinks.

Steve
Which is why when he says stuff like:

Which is back to my point of it being difficult to take screenshots to represent a finished product when the product isn't finished ;)

Steve
You can understand why the trepidation in releasing screen shots of an unfinished game. Steve can tell people it isn't finished and even mention specific things that they aren't happy with yet but still receive criticism. Which. of course, is fine and dandy as long as folks understand that what they are seeing is not meant to represent the final product.

So you agree with Steve on the uniform color and agree with me in a big way regarding the terrain. It is so nice to be out of the desert.

The reaction though has really been something. When we talk about old timers still being around the last 5 people to post to the thread since I started this (posts 72-76) are from guys whose most recent joining of the forum was almost 9 years ago. And 6 different guys on the page before that have also been around similar periods of time.

British Tommy

Reaction score
Country
ll
The tank crew in the PZIV reminds me of CMx1 (half a body plonked onto the tank). But it's not a game killer for me. While I like nice graphics, I would be happy with stick figures as long as the game engine is good (and an improvement on earlier games). Now that IS a game killer for me!

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They look ok, at least it seems like you can turn off those stupid overhead icons.

You've always been able to do that. Alt-I does it. For screen shots I like it with the icons off but it is really hard to play it them off..in any mode. Try finding a squad when you are at level 4 and looking in a large patch of woods. You'll turn those babies back on in no time. I was the same way with bases in CMx1. Always wanted to play with them off but never could.