Death To Fascism (DTF) Scenario Pack 2018 !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Ok Folks, a quick update on the one-week DTF visit to Canada by my co-designer Chris Mazzei.

Firstly, Chris has almost completed transfer of all 8 Word document scenario cards into DTF format and presentation, which is a big job. It looks good!

Secondly, over the past 6 days we managed to play 5 different DTF scenarios and made significant progress on all. The total scenario play count was 7, as we changed sides and played two of the scenarios twice.

One scenario, the Title Track of the Pack, is now completed after we played it twice more - and will be sent to the top secret play-testing location in neutral Europe in the next week.

A second scenario, the only "full" PTO in the pack, seems great and will go through one last PT on our side. We expect no major issues and this should be next on the plates of the PT team. The title of this scenario is "True Grit" and it is set in Java, 1942.

We re-ran a PT for one of the earliest scenarios, which we had more or less completed, but decided to still revise the VC significantly to bring it more in line with the general approach and setup of DTF victory conditions. This confirmed the new VC worked well, but Chris developed some serious Attack Anxiety mid-game (after an excellent approach) and his two wasted Turns made it impossible to judge the right number of VC hexes the Russians need to win. We will play this again on VASL in the coming months - but I can say it will be a good scenario....hopefully better than good.

We playtested the most innovative design in the Pack (IMHO) two times, changing sides. I do not want to say anything about this, except that it is ASL in a way you probably never played it before. Skill level required for the attacking Germans is extremely high......so we need to run this scenario through our own PTs another 5-6 times to make sure it approaches balance between two equal players who 'get' the demands of this scenario. Oh - the title of this scenario will be "Fast and Furious".

Finally, we played the Monster of the scenarios in this pack.....a blitzkrieg experience of a really unusual kind. This was fantastic from start to finish and we can hardly wait to play this again some time soon......

This weekend I depart for Bangladesh and hopefully I will be able to meet Chris on VASL once a week in the few hours I will not be working. With some luck and good planning, I hope to pass through Germany on the way home from this assignment, so we can hammer a few more of the DTF scenarios with our ever-critical designer's hands.

All is on course for the Oktoberfest release.

msoong38

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cool stuff! I will definitely order this.

One question: what does "medium-sized tournament scenarios" mean? What is estimate play time for the scenarios? (if they can be finished on a weeknight that'll put them into my "face to face play" bucket and a definite plus...

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Cool stuff! I will definitely order this.

One question: what does "medium-sized tournament scenarios" mean? What is estimate play time for the scenarios? (if they can be finished on a weeknight that'll put them into my "face to face play" bucket and a definite plus...
Thanks for your interest and your question!

In many ASL tournaments, there are two rounds per day - with the first round usually in the 5-6 hours range (0830 - 1500 or so) and the second (larger) round from 1500 to 2400.

Two or three of the DTF scenarios fit in the first category, but most of our scenarios fit in the second category - which I would call Medium Sized - so an estimated play time between 5 and 8 hours including setup, assuming players are a bit prepared for those scenarios with complex setups.

Of course, this assumes that the game is close and play continues to the last Player Turn.

Finally, just to clarify: we call our scenarios "tournament" scenarios because we intend them to work well in that setting......between us Chris and I have attended well over 50 tournaments around the world so we have a pretty decent idea what tournament directors and players like to see in the scenarios selected for these events.

None of that should stop anyone from playing the scenarios just for fun, with beer or other stimulants in abundance.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Are you making these just for ASLOK or will this be available to the masses at a later date?

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Are you making these just for ASLOK or will this be available to the masses at a later date?
We will sell this at ASLOK and immediately afterwards you will be able to purchase the Pack through Scott Blanton's Gamer's Armory in North America.

In Europe, we are looking at one sales point in Germany and we may sell at one or two of the major ASL tournaments there as well.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We will sell this at ASLOK and immediately afterwards you will be able to purchase the Pack through Scott Blanton's Gamer's Armory in North America.

In Europe, we are looking at one sales point in Germany and we may sell at one or two of the major ASL tournaments there as well.
I'm looking forward to this one. You and Chris were play testing some tasty looking scenarios at ASLOK 2017.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I am banking on using some of these scenarios for Albany...
Steve
Hi Steve,

knowing what I know up to now, I can pretty much guarantee you will find a few to your liking - both for the first round (full day) on Thursday and for some of the evening rounds.

With a bit of luck, I should be there again this year!

Best

Peter

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Steve,

knowing what I know up to now, I can pretty much guarantee you will find a few to your liking - both for the first round (full day) on Thursday and for some of the evening rounds.

With a bit of luck, I should be there again this year!

Best

Peter
Maybe we will need a prize if someone can beat you in your own scenario... :nod:
Steve

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Maybe we will need a prize if someone can beat you in your own scenario... :nod:
Steve
My proud record of playing my own designs at Albany is 1-2 !

2009 I lost "One Last Mighty Hew" vs Paul Sidhu

2015 I won "Breaking Bad" vs Paul Chamberland

2017 I lost "Belgian Tigers" vs Chris Chapman

All three very enjoyable and well played games by my opponent. But I doubt a special prize is in order.....

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My proud record of playing my own designs at Albany is 1-2 !

2009 I lost "One Last Mighty Hew" vs Paul Sidhu

2015 I won "Breaking Bad" vs Paul Chamberland

2017 I lost "Belgian Tigers" vs Chris Chapman

All three very enjoyable and well played games by my opponent. But I doubt a special prize is in order.....
Maybe a candy bar or something like that...
Steve

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Well, if Steve says these scenarios will be great and very well balanced, I am in for sure. Look forward to every scenario in this pack being perfect and fun.

Scott
I hope you will like the scenario titles, play some of them and share your critical reviews with everyone on the forum, Scott.

Perfection......unlikely......but as close as we can damn well get - certainly!

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I am proud to announce that Le Franc Tireur (LFT) has agreed to take part in the (mainly European) distribution for the Death To Fascism Pack !!

Great for us to have such a partner......who loves the game as much as we do.

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
I am proud to announce that Le Franc Tireur (LFT) has agreed to take part in the (mainly European) distribution for the Death To Fascism Pack !!
Hurrah! Great care of the product and easier availability for us in Eurozone. I own all FF packs and I look forward to this special one.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Dear all,

finally I made it back from Bangladesh to Canada.....for the last few months of DTF playtesting and completing the work!

I can give you a brief update.....and all the scenario titles (feel free to comment):

Over the past four months, we managed to complete playtesting for seven out of eight scenarios. The final one, Fast and Furious, will get the work done before the end of July. The special Playtest Team in a secret European location is working through a few of the ones Chris and I have completed.

DTF Special Rules have been completed, the layout for the Pack is more or less done.

These are the titles of the scenarios in the Pack:

DTF-1 Keren Masala
DTF-2 Blitzkrieg!
DTF-3 True Grit
DTF-4 Death To Fascism
DTF-5 AK'44
DTF-6 Magnificent Beasts of Prey
DTF-7 Fast and Furious
DTF-8 The Art Of War

We have also decided to provide set of Scenario Player Aids (for recording OB purchases, HIP, Special Ammo Depletion and progress towards VC) to be available online - all you will have to do is download and print for use.

We are confident the project will stay on track for sendoff to the printer on 1 August.

As you may know, there is a special Death To Fascism mini-tournament at ASLOK (Wednesday - 2 rounds) featuring 6 of these 8 scenarios. I do hope many people will sign up for this!

Status
Not open for further replies.