Death Ride Kursk by Grognard Simulations.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I want to ask the ASL community if they have bought or played any of these games. I have just found out about them and the stats are impressive. 8 modules and three extensions, 96 map panels, 23,000 counters. This goes to recreate the whole southern pincer of the Kursk battle at platoon and company level! The rules are about 100 pages. It is seriously tempting.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The whole of Stalingrad mapped out is not enough.....
Good point, I should probably wait for the ASL adaptation of the Northern shoulder of Kursk as well.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I want to ask the ASL community if they have bought or played any of these games. I have just found out about them and the stats are impressive. 8 modules and three extensions, 96 map panels, 23,000 counters. This goes to recreate the whole southern pincer of the Kursk battle at platoon and company level! The rules are about 100 pages. It is seriously tempting.
Contact Perry Pender he gave up ASL to buy and play that System instead.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
A friend of mine here in the ABQ is the rules honcho for the system.... Color coding was key, AFAIR....
The rules are broken down into levels of complexity and colour coded to correspond. Players can choose at what level they want to play.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Being colour blind that’s a nonstarter for me 😆

MichalS

Reaction score
First name
Michal
Country
llSlovakia
Neither bought, nor played. I was seriously considering the Grossdeutschland base game (v2.0 2016) and the XLVIII PzK Enhancements though. I would decide for this one for several reasons, one being that the Totenkopf base game was never updated to the newer rules - the designer started developing Salerno, another Death Ride series, instead. The enhancements are crucial for unlocking the whole system complexity.

What puts me off is the footprint and the counter artwork quality, especially the system counters (like picking one basic shape in PowerPoint type of quality - for a USD 2.500 game system - really? that does not speak highly of authors' professionalism).

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The rules are available for a free download at CSW forum. Including all the updates.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Being colour blind that’s a nonstarter for me 😆
Ah, that's why I see you winning with the Americans all the time: You treat 'em all as Berserkers with a Morale of 10 and 6 factors of CC value per squad... ;)

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The game holds an interesting award....

View attachment 18948
Here seems to be a contender. Though I do not know of the date of each claim.

von Marwitz

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
That map is actually a TPP creation for WIF. The official WIF maps are much smaller.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
That map is actually a TPP creation for WIF. The official WIF maps are much smaller.
Indeed, that's correct. It's by Matrix Games / Slitherine who produced the computer version of WiF (which seems to be an endless project in progress...). This map was part of a package of some sort of deluxe release which I bought at a games fair.

Truth be told, the map is - of course - too large to be useful to play on. It's main feature is that (almost) the entire world is covered with a unified hex grid. In practice, though, there's no need for vast expanses of hexes in the endless Pacific for example.

The normal maps are better for play. Since some time, they are also available in mounted form, which is actually quite nice as the unmounted smaller versions I have are of thinner stock, glossy, and quite vulnerable (just as some HASLs).

Not that I have played WiF yet, but in case I'll ever find the time to "go strategic", this will be the one.

von Marwitz

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I bought the collectors edition of WiF but as yet have not played it. It came with mounted maps which is nice.

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I am currently playing the Prokhorovka battle... it is a game that is not for the faint of heart. As a Russian player, expect heavy heavy losses.. And as the German expect a boxing match with a bear. You are goijng to take heavy blows, but you need to keep going. Best description An irresitable force hitting an unmovable object.... Pure bloodshed.