daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi,

Due to play this one in a few hours - what do we do about the German setup areas? I don't see any errata on the hob site for the scenario.

Maps 16,33 in play (amongst others) rows R-GG are used. Entry conditions are on/west (the board edge) of 16V0 (ie top board 5 hexes in) and 33R9 (which is the board edge 1 board lower) - so it's either a triangular shaped setup zone (20 hexes long by 5 hexes at its widest, 1 hex at the narrowest) - or should it read 33V9?

For what it's worth, if there's ever another reprint, hexrows "A-PP" probably has an extra P in there too, for the map stuff.

Thanks for any quick answers..

Dave

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Which version of this scenario have you got? Do you know there is a 2nd edition of this scenario in the HOB Updates Pack?

Its not *still* wrong is it?!? :OHNO:

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Indeed - this is the updated version.

We played it yesterday, nice scenario but we both felt like it could be clearer in a number of things. For example, the Russian reinforcements enter on a pre-determined map board edge (paraphrasing - sorry, I don't have the card infront of me) - but we couldn't figure out whether that mean a specific map board edge, or play area edge.

The German SS have two Russian T34s in their OOB. Do they use captured equipment penalties, what morale do the crews have? Is special ammo available to them - do they use Russian to hit numbers?

Anyway, it came down to the last turn reveal of a hip'd gun to sneak a win for the Russians. A good scenario for a day's play, but it would be nice if these things were cleared up.

applecatcher4

Reaction score
Country
ll
This is a great scenario. I just wish Dave had warned me earlier that he was bringing the black SS counters. I'm sure less of them would have failed mc than the flimsy blue ones but to save time, I used the ones I had pulled out.

Nice playing with so much big stuff but I agree with Dave, it would be nice to have some HOB sanctioned clarifications to these issues.

Dave broke my 100% unbeaten record for 2009 - oh well it lasted longer than last year!

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Its nice to know the Russians can win the Updated version of Death Ride since it has been modified heavily in favor of the Germans compared to its old version.

Concerning the German T-34's - I believe they came with some rules pages supplied in RbF4. These were the Captured German Vehicles Pack with counters and rules. Its worth checking RbF4.

The SSR concerning the entry/set-up areas can be compared with the original version. I believe when it says "select board edge" it means *one* geo board - i.e. 16 or 33 etc.

There is some difference between the set-up/entry areas between the two versions of the scenario. Its worth checking both versions.

Can you please record this game result on ROAR. It would be nice to see if the SS Update Pack is any more balanced then the originals.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Its nice to know the Russians can win the Updated version of Death Ride since it has been modified heavily in favor of the Germans compared to its old version.
I have a pretty good record against Martin, and he literally lost this by one hex of a movement phase.

To be fair to him, he probably thought I was above hipping a gun for the old "reveal and advance trick", but after my other sleazy tank crews jumping out of their dug in tanks to wander towards the 2nd level hill hexes he should know better!

Concerning the German T-34's - I believe they came with some rules pages supplied in RbF4. These were the Captured German Vehicles Pack with counters and rules. Its worth checking RbF4.
I have this pack, and that makes it all the more frustrating to know that's where I should have looked. There should be a reference on the scenario card at the very least if that was the intention.

The SSR concerning the entry/set-up areas can be compared with the original version. I believe when it says "select board edge" it means *one* geo board - i.e. 16 or 33 etc.
Hmm, well, that would certainly have made it a tad tougher for the Russians (sorry Martin, my flank the tiger trick wasn't legal) - but again, it's really not clear and I'm surprised this wasn't caught before.

There is some difference between the set-up/entry areas between the two versions of the scenario. Its worth checking both versions.
Bah, I threw my old ones out deliberately so that I wouldn't confuse the two..

Can you please record this game result on ROAR. It would be nice to see if the SS Update Pack is any more balanced then the originals.
Sure thing... Thanks for your thoughts on this one.

Dave