Death Match behavior

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Correct. The game does not end when you're playing the AI and are in a position (regardless of which victory conditions are being used) where the scenario is no longer winable. But I wouldn't want one that does. ASL you could fight to the last man or the clock runs out if you wanted to. Ditto CMx1. The openendness (is that a real word) of these types of games is part of the draw for me. YMMV.
I will substitute 'Death Match Behavior' for openendedness...

The 'Death Match Behavior' of these types of games is part of the draw for me.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
In addition to the use of Order-Delay, I would also like to see Order-Limitation. By this I mean that certain orders, under certain conditions, are 'greyed-out' from the menu. The game already has this to some degree. A good example is a unit that is tired. It can not Run. That order is not available in the menu under movement commands. Tired is self-explanatory but is explained in the manual. Go figure.

Other examples are things like Assault. Units that have taken casualties (or split off members?) don't have enough soldiers so they "can't do the assault". No Can Do. The order is absent. Seems logical actually.

Pinned units CAN be given movement orders. The Orders are available in the menu, but they probably won't follow them (see manual). They CAN fire. Manual doesn't say anything about the effect being pinned has on that fire. Seems strange since I was taught suppression has to do with fire superiority and achieving this meant the other guys couldn't fire back effectively or at all. Personally, I would like to see Target-Light being the only Fire order available for Pinned troops. So, I would like to see 'Target' not being a order available to pinned units (unless the game has some other mechanism that is not documented in the awful game manual).

I would like to see Cautious troops not having a full Run order. Running is Risky, Cautiousness does not approve of risks. So, the Run order is limited to a very short distance, let's say 25 meters (Run-Light). I would also like to see an overall 'Move-Length' limitation on Cautious units for a turn. Something like 50 meters but it could vary by troop quality. Cautious troops would also have built in Pauses once they reach any better cover. This models them cautiously checking things out and malingering in cover/concealment. Cautious troops can not assault unless they are in direct LOS of it's HQ. The over-all effect is that Cautious troops aren't scooting around the map ass-over-elbows.

Not sure about Nervous. According to Moon, Nervous means Nervous. Broken means Recovered. Rattled means Skadaddled.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I would think that nervous would be a state worse than cautious. I would think that nervous would also suffer from the cautious limitations above plus some further limitations. Perhaps they could have their motivation level reduced while nervous. Also, things like covered arc can not be assigned. They open fire at enemies as soon as they are seen to show that they are jittery. Movement orders that require the nervous unit to exit from terrain that offers better protection requires a 'nerves-check'. If they fail the check, they are paused 5 seconds at that place. They don't move further till they pass a check or get 'un-nervoused'

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You guys are killin' me.

Every other Friday or so I check in to see if anything's going on other than Elvis yakking at Lewis with their weird countermasturbatory funhouse mirror exchange.

And now there's not even that in the last few days.

Surely lads, there's something interesting in BFC-land.

Surely?

-dale

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
You guys are killin' me.

Every other Friday or so I check in to see if anything's going on other than Elvis yakking at Lewis with their weird countermasturbatory funhouse mirror exchange.

Surely?

-dale
You are right. There is nothing much going on in BFC-Land. So, I did a search at BF forums for dalem, and it seems you posted about seeing three wargamers in their underwear in the past year? That, and your fixation with auto-eroticism, makes you a candidate for 'Boardgame's Geek of the week'. Have you tried hanging out with those 'guys'? Perhaps a younger 'gang' than you might be used to (face it, your basement is starting to get that 'old people smell'), but I suspect that younger males might actually make your rather dull Friday nights 'come alive'.

Good Luck to you with that and hopefully, more games and news will be coming out from BFC. But, please, no matter how much you feel the need, don't feel you have to share any 'coming-out' stories or poems or...{cringe}...song parodies. Keep them to yourself. Now, go open a window and let some air in.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You guys are killin' me.

Surely?

-dale
Nothing going on in BFC land whatever. The forums are pretty stagnant, not much new stuff going on. It's almost become a case of he only ones seemingly playing the games are play testers. Not quite true but not far off.

I really do wonder how BF advertises its games, at the very least I would think they would email a newsletter to everyone who bought their game. It's all strange to me, this business model.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You might not be on the email list. A quick look showed that I got one April 4th and February 19th. (That's as far back as I felt like checking on my phone right now).

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I haven't recvd any emails and have bought a game recently. Maybe only playtesters get emails?

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I haven't recvd any emails and have bought a game recently. Maybe only playtesters get emails?
Maybe there is an opt in (or out) thing when you create your account. It was so long ago that mine was created I have no idea. Here is what was nin the last email......I'm not sure how this will display using copy/paste

War is hell... and it's a movie. GUSTAV LINE videos
CMFI Gustav - News
Thursday, 04 April 2013

Three new videos from the upcoming GUSTAV LINE module for "Combat Mission Fortress Italy" are now available on Battlefront.com's YouTube channel, showing some of the new anti-aircraft units in action, as well as featuring the new War Movie Mode everyone's talking about. Sneak peek below, or watch HD full screen versions on www.youtube.com/battlefrontcom
Last Updated ( Thursday, 04 April 2013 )

Are you ready to break through the Gustav Line? Screenshots, Campaigns, PREORDERS!
CMFI Gustav - News
Wednesday, 03 April 2013

Gustav Line, the first module for Combat Mission Fortress Italy, is nearing release. In fact, we are opening preoders today (available for PC and Mac OS X), expecting the final product to ship within 4-6 weeks! If you want to jump right in and preorder without further ado (saving $10 in the process on the download&mail delivery), follow this link:

Click here to preorder right now! (PC / Mac OS X)

Note: Gustav Line is a module and requires the base game, Combat Mission Fortress Italy, in order to play.

Gustav Line depicts the desperate battle for the Italian mainland, revolving around Salerno, Anzio, and Monte Cassino, and culminating in the capture of Rome on June 4, 1944. The Commonwealth side of Operation Husky in Sicily is also depicted.

It boasts a host of new units, campaigns, maps and scenarios, and several brand new features, such as AA Guns, Seasons (snow!), a new "Movie lighting" shader mode, and more.

Together with the preorders, we are also publishing today a brief overview of the 4 brand new full-blown campaigns included in the Gustav Line module:

MONTE CASSINO - POLISH CAMPAIGN, May 17-18, 1944. Monte Cassino.
FOILING FUSTIAN - LUFTWAFFE CAMPAIGN, July 13-16, 1943. Primosole Bridge, Sicily.
RAGING BUFFALO - AMERICAN CAMPAIGN, May 26-28, 1944. Anzio Beachhead.
THE CORRIDOR - HEER CAMPAIGN, September 13, 1943. Salerno.

Click here for more details about the campaigns

And there are new screenshots to boot as well:

Click here to jump directly to the Screenshots

Fine print: If you would like to order just the download, please wait until the game is released (in approx. 4-6 weeks). All games ship from our main location in the US, import VAT and other import fees may apply for international customers in addition to the Shipping & Handling charge. When you preorder, your credit card or Paypal account is charged immediately, and not when the item ships. The special $10 discount for preorders means that instead of paying $45 plus S&H for the download & mail delivery after release, you only pay $35 plus S&H. The discount expires after the game is released.
Last Updated ( Wednesday, 03 April 2013 )

Combat Mission Touch now available on Google Play!
CM: Touch - News
Sunday, 24 March 2013

It's finally here! Combat Mission Touch is now available as Android(tm) app on Google Play! Supporting more than 1800 Android devices (anything that is Armv7 and running Android 2.2 (Froyo) or higher), and all the same features from the iOS and Amazon Android releases, it's now or never to show us your war finger!

Android app on Google Play
It contains a lot of links.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I really do wonder how BF advertises its games,
Another thing that they might be doing (I'm gonna drop them a note about it in case they don't) is advertising on the Facebook. It is dirt cheap advertising and is extremely effective (at least for small cafes in Nowheresville, PA). For $15 I can reach 26,000 people that already "Like" the cafe or are "Friends" of people who "Like" the cafe. I have 923 who "Like" the cafe, as I type this, BFC has almost 2,200. So if they are "Promoting" their posts, they can probably reach close to 60,000 people who are predisposed to be interested in their product or friends with someone who is (hopefully increasing their interest because of their friends interest), for close to nothing.

So they may be doing that.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well I definitely don't get mails from them and although Facebook might be a good idea, it's not the very best way to get a product out there. Sill it is better than doing nothing. Personally, I just don't think the interest that was once there ten years ago is even half there now. I don't even know why but the BF site seems stagnant and the people who made the game more interesting by making scenarios and missions seem to have left and there's very little quality stuff left around to play. Look at CMFI, there's hardly anything extra to play there that I've seen. CMBN is not that much better, the quality seems to have gone out of the whole game and been replaced with something that just isn't as exiting as it once was, despite better graphics.

this is just me though, just my opinion and I fully understand that others don't agree with it. It's probably why I haven't played CMBN since Xmas.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Personally, I just don't think the interest that was once there ten years ago is even half there now. I don't even know why but the BF site seems stagnant and the people who made the game more interesting by making scenarios and missions seem to have left and there's very little quality stuff left around to play. Look at CMFI, there's hardly anything extra to play there that I've seen. CMBN is not that much better, the quality seems to have gone out of the whole game and been replaced with something that just isn't as exiting as it once was, despite better graphics.

this is just me though, just my opinion and I fully understand that others don't agree with it. It's probably why I haven't played CMBN since Xmas.
Steve just stated that Market Garden is actually just based on that battle (17–25 September 1944). So, it looks like modules, that take nearly a year to make, will model about a week of the war itself.

And, yes, I find the content of CMBN to be very limited.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Steve just stated that Market Garden is actually just based on that battle (17–25 September 1944). So, it looks like modules, that take nearly a year to make, will model about a week of the war itself.

And, yes, I find the content of CMBN to be very limited.
I don't think that is a big difference. The game will still contain all units and all landscapes so that you can model the timeframe from the Normandy breakout to end of September 1944.

October-December is then in the Bulge module.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I don't think that is a big difference. The game will still contain all units and all landscapes so that you can model the timeframe from the Normandy breakout to end of September 1944.

October-December is then in the Bulge module.
That is certainly untrue. It has already been stated that you will need CW to model certain OOB/etc.

There are certainly German units that fought before Market Garden that will not be included. Heck, you can't even model Normandy very well.

But the point that Geordie made, and the one I agreed with, is that included material is sparse. And that is why I brought up the limited time scale that the included material in MG will have. But, supposedly, once Gustav is released, then the announcement on MG will be discussed. I really expect these products to have at least a couple dozen scenarios and great 'campaigns'.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If they stick to their advertised mood of modules then MG will not need the CW module to play. How that's going to work I don't know. I'm sure they will have to include some Brit stuff with the module to make it work. I'm looking forward to seeing the town of Arnhem though, I imagine it will be interesting.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If they stick to their advertised mood of modules then MG will not need the CW module to play. How that's going to work I don't know. I'm sure they will have to include some Brit stuff with the module to make it work. I'm looking forward to seeing the town of Arnhem though, I imagine it will be interesting.
You are correct. You will never need an older module to be able to play a new one.
The only requirement is to own the base game and,in the case of MG, the upgrade.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Steve sez....
Originally Posted by Battlefront.com

Details about the contents of Market Garden will be released soon after Gustav Line is shipping. And no, it won't be a long wait But know that the Market Garden Module is focused on that and not on other parts of the front, though it is possible to simulate a lot of it (especially if you have Commonwealth Module).

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
That sounds about right.
Well, it's a cut and paste of what he said.

In any case, it seems that he is implying that the game just covers a very short time frame. I wonder if that means it only includes the units that are specifically needed to model the game time period also. Basically, paras, XXX corp and the Germans that made the show (SS Panzer, paras, etc.).

I suppose the paras are useful in a retro-sense in that they can be 'used' in CMBN Normandy games. Likewise with the SS and others.

But as far as actual scenarios and campaigns, it seems that this long awaited module will be basically depicting a very narrow battle. Hopefully, the terrain warrants 'special' non-feature development. Like the uniforms and weather...terrain has a considerable 'module' impact.