Death Match behavior

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm sure that they will have to add in British elements to make it work, it would be like making 'A bridge too far' with only the US units. My faith is that this wont be the case. At the very least they need to include Brit Para for Arnhem bridge. I was hoping that the campaign would revolve around the drive for the bridges.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You are correct. You will never need an older module to be able to play a new one.
The only requirement is to own the base game and,in the case of MG, the upgrade.
thats what I thought. But you didn't mention that Brit units in the CW module wouldn't be included, so that feels like they just might be. Incidentally I posted the same question t BF and the only answer given so far was to question why I was complaining.

so thanks for the straight answer (ish, without blowing your NDA).

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
thats what I thought. But you didn't mention that Brit units in the CW module wouldn't be included, so that feels like they just might be. Incidentally I posted the same question t BF and the only answer given so far was to question why I was complaining.

so thanks for the straight answer (ish, without blowing your NDA).
It is also really confusing what information that Steve puts out there...

You are mostly correct about the "no new features" in Modules. However, if you go back and look at my posts where you see me saying this you'll see I made three exceptions:

1. Weather related necessary for the Module's setting
2. Terrain related necessary for the Module's setting
3. Unit features necessary for the Module's forces

Think about it this way. Can we have have a battle in January without winter uniforms, textures, and weather effects? No. So to have a Module in that timeframe we must include these features even if no other game before it has such things.

Normandy, on the other hand, does not have battles in January, so these new features are "useless" for it.

Normandy does not have AAA vehicles, so having an Upgrade that supports AAA stuff doesn't do anything for the Normandy player.

So what would a new version of the game engine for Normandy have in it that was useful? Nothing. Now, if you guys want to pay us $10 for nothing... well... that's a nice thought, but I don't think that's what you want to do

With that said, when Arnhem comes out there will be a similar bunch of unique things for Normandy just like Gustav provides for Italy. Some of them are the same. Which means when Arnhem comes out you can get some of the features that Gustav offers and some that Gustav doesn't.

Engine upgrades are designed for things like new user interface, new basic gameplay improvements (like improved TacAI, Editor features, etc.), basic changes to 3D effects, etc. It doesn't include new time frames, new units, new uniforms, etc.

I hope that clears things up a bit!

Steve

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm sorry but are you saying that the MG module will come with US forces only?

And what's the deal with no AAA vehicles? If they are in the MG module then you can make a Normandy timeline scenario of you have that module and Normandy (which you need anyway).

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I'm sorry but are you saying that the MG module will come with US forces only?

And what's the deal with no AAA vehicles? If they are in the MG module then you can make a Normandy timeline scenario of you have that module and Normandy (which you need anyway).
If you are speaking to me, I would say you have to wait for the official announcement as far as what is included in the MG module. But, in all seriousness, it would be quite a silly product without the CW forces.

Steve seems to imply that ONLY those forces that participated in the rather short Market Garden battle will be included in the Market Garden module. Obviously, having the CMBN base game is needed and no other module is then needed to play the Market Garden module 'game' contents. But it has been implied that HAVING the CW module allows greater variety in possible gameplay. Why he would say that is a mystery.

As far as AAA, Steve has said somewhat conflicting statements. But the question is "Does AAA mean actual anti-aircraft fire vs. aircraft?". Who knows? Steve later says that AAA halftracks CAN be used in CMBN designed scenarios (Normandy setting).

Given the loose use of words like 'feature' and 'Upgrade' and 'Improvement' etc., I still see a problem with the company being on the same page internally. I think the over-thought policies are starting to muddy up the slope. The whole 'Free' patch scheme is building up a backlog and only the actual release of product will force these things into completion.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I think they will include some Brit stuff in the Module. To be honest, Im only after the German paras. Missed playing with them in Normandy and Im not going to get the Gustav Module as
I dont have Italy. I still think that when the MG module comes out youll have almost everything in the Gustav game. I think this is why the Gustav one comes first, why would you get Gustav if you could have most all of the units anyway?

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I think they will include some Brit stuff in the Module. To be honest, Im only after the German paras. Missed playing with them in Normandy and Im not going to get the Gustav Module as
I dont have Italy. I still think that when the MG module comes out youll have almost everything in the Gustav game. I think this is why the Gustav one comes first, why would you get Gustav if you could have most all of the units anyway?
I suppose that really brings up the whole marketing scheme. Why do they think that the game needs to be sectioned up as it is? Supposedly, all base game 'core' engines are the same or nearly so. Why the need to market these supposedly different products called 'base games'? Does the need to sell more really work? I don't think that I would buy CMFI just for Gustav. And that is what happens when the base game investment is not made before the module.

In the case of Gustav, it seems that there is much more material as far as filling in Sicily with troops and also some impressive terrain to model and the troops and weather, etc. MG seems a little thin at this point, but it will be interesting once the announcement is made. I really think the retro-value of using MG units in CMBN might be a selling point. I doubt that CMFI will benefit as much from retro-units from Gustav?