Dealing with Auto-Defense Fire

Reaction score
Note: My comments here really apply across the EAW/Nap/ACW games, though for reasons I'll discuss, the issues are more pertinent in the EAW games than the others.

Especially if you learned the basic system back in the days of the old Battleground games, one of the most shocking things that can happen is the sheer volume of defensive fire that can come at you in these games. The effect is exaggerated in the EAW games for two reasons.

1) You will often have a higher counter density.
2) Infantry typically has a range of 4 hexes (as opposed to two in Nap and 5 in ACW).

The key to understanding the ADF system is to realize that any action that is within the LOS of an enemy unit can potentially trigger defensive fire. Movement, formation change, facing change, even moving a leader into a hex can all trigger a defensive check. What happens is that every time a check is triggers, each enemy unit has a chance of firing. So, if you move into an area where only one or two enemy units can fire, the odds of being badly hurt by Defensive fire are fairly slim. On the other hand, if it's an area where there are 16 enemy units bunched across a four hex front (typical at Burlington Heights in 1812, or Bunker Hill in 1776), you'll get all 16 of those units with the potential of firing at you. Suffice it to say, that can get nasty.

So, how do you deal with this? The key is pre planning. The only thing you can really do is minimize the number of potential "fire checks" you give the AI. Here are some principals I find helpful.

1) Move by stacks, not by individual units whenever possible.
2) Use cover whenever possible.
3) If necessary, combine your stacks in cover before moving them. (In other words, if you have three units you want to move into the line, move them all into one hex that's covered, and then move that entire stack into the line).
4) Keep your leaders with your troops in movement, or behind them entirely. There's no reason to move leaders in and trigger a fire check.
5) Fire by stacks. I'll return to this one in a moment.
6) Be realistic about Defensive Fire. Remember, Defensive Fire is 1/2 strength. If the firing unit is already in "D" status, it is 1/2 of 1/2, or 1/4 of usual strength. It may sting, but it's not the end of the world.
7) Be careful not to expose troops to flank shots in moving. Not only do you take higher losses, but it raises the risk of those troops getting D Status, and if they've used over half their movement, being stuck where they are.

I mentioned "fire by stacks." In the old BG games, good players would often "spread" their fire. Firing each unit individually, in order to try to force as many enemy units as possible to take losses/fatigue, and take morale checks. In an ADF setting, this is often counterproductive. Since every action can trigger fire, if you have a stack of three units, firing them individually means that you've just tripled the amount of Defensive Fire you have to take.

Now there are times you still fire units individually. This is especially true if you think that you can force morale checks on a number of units. In that case, it may be worth it to take the extra fire, for the purpose of forcing the enemy to take extra morale checks (with the opportunity for a mass rout).

Over the years, I've found that these principals have meant that I take entirely managable losses in the Defensive Phase. It's very rare that I take more losses in my phase than I dish out. Now, my playing style is very heavily firepower based (probably not quite prone enough to melee actually), but the ideas should be valid.

While I've spoken mostly in terms of the EAW games, most of the principles apply to the Nap games as well. However, remember that stacks of infantry in the Nap games are prone to Line Pass through fire, and if the optional rule is checked, column pass through fire as well. That can change your decisions, as moving a full stack of 3 columns under enemy artillery is painful in its own rights.

Sgt_Rock

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good tips Gary. I want to note to you guys that in future games and patches that leaders will no longer draw fire by entering a stack of friendly units. Just a small sampling of what will be in the next title. This will reduce casualties a bit and help us to return to the days when many of us would move our brigade and division leaders last to get our troops into command control (if needed).

Rick

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sgt_Rock said:
Good tips Gary. I want to note to you guys that in future games and patches that leaders will no longer draw fire by entering a stack of friendly units. ....
That's what intriques me about these games, you're always tweaking them for the better. Keep it up.

Sgt_Rock

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wish you guys could sit in with Gary, the other playtesters and myself on some of the very detailed discussions we have on the game engine.

It goes something like this:

Gary - "Bill, I will give you St. Charles and New York Ave. for Boardwalk."
Bill - "How about tossing in the Electric Company too?"

We usually end up folding the game after everyone has built hotels!

I have been trying to get a new Monopoly rule that allows for football stadiums instead of the Railroads ... Gary wants to replace the Railroads with Starbucks coffee houses. We just cant agree on which would be better for the game .... :laugh:

Leftie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gary,

I moved this thread over to the articles section as well. This is all good information and I would hate for it to get lost under newer threads.

Thanks
Ben