Deadeye Smoyer Receives Bronze Star-V 75 years later.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2019/09/19/the-hero-of-cologne-receives-his-bronze-star-75-years-late/

Interesting note for those "older" members from the U.S., a short profile of Clarence Smoyer (SP 43 Deadeye Smoyer) and his award of the Bronze Star with a "V" device for valor on 19 September 2019 at his home in Allentown, PA was provided in the latest edition of the AARP (American Association of Retired Peoples) magazine. I don't know how I had missed a previous story in the Army Times.

Of course most are aware Smoyer was the tank commander of the "Pershing" tank in the short combat film shot in Cologne, Germany where he knocked out a Panther. Also interesting to note that he became friends for life with one of the surviving crew members of that Panther. Smoyer was also a U.S. Tank Ace, having been credited with knocking out at least 5 enemy tanks during the war as a member of the hard hitting 3rd Armored Division (Spearhead).

For those of you that may want to try a scenario based upon that exploit, try SP-43 Deadeye Smoyer; a very fun & fast paced scenario (I would encourage POW interrogation be implemented).

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2019/09/19/the-hero-of-cologne-receives-his-bronze-star-75-years-late/

Interesting note for those "older" members from the U.S., a short profile of Clarence Smoyer (SP 43 Deadeye Smoyer) and his award of the Bronze Star with a "V" device for valor on 19 September 2019 at his home in Allentown, PA was provided in the latest edition of the AARP (American Association of Retired Peoples) magazine. I don't know how I had missed a previous story in the Army Times.

Of course most are aware Smoyer was the tank commander of the "Pershing" tank in the short combat film shot in Cologne, Germany where he knocked out a Panther. Also interesting to note that he became friends for life with one of the surviving crew members of that Panther. Smoyer was also a U.S. Tank Ace, having been credited with knocking out at least 5 enemy tanks during the war as a member of the hard hitting 3rd Armored Division (Spearhead).

For those of you that may want to try a scenario based upon that exploit, try SP-43 Deadeye Smoyer; a very fun & fast paced scenario (I would encourage POW interrogation be implemented).
For those interested in reading a detailed account of this event (told from the perspectives of Clarence Smoyer and his German adversary, Gustav Schaefer), I highly recommend locating a copy of 'Spearhead' by Adam Makos.