Country
llCanada
Last edited:

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Very cool Michael. I think that picture captures the mood of that day so well. Here's a picture I took last year when I was there. It amazes me how little has changed. Really enjoyed my tour of Normandy. Highly recommend it.

View attachment 49718

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So what happened here then?
The following is a quote from website http://www.paratrooper-museum.org/en/dead-man-s-corner.html

...like the ASL Index (or any index) Google is your friend Honza...

The road to Carentan
On 8 June, after going through the hedgerows and fields of the Normandy countryside, the Americans throw all their forces into battle and reach the surroundings of St-Côme-du-Mont.

The first tank arrives at the crossroads and attempts to continue towards Carentan. It comes to a brutal halt when it gets a direct shot that kills the tank commander, Lt. Walter T. Anderson from Minnesota. From this day on, and for several days, the wreck of the tank and the corpse of Lt. Anderson hanging from the gun turret will stay on the spot. For the Americans, this location will always remain the “DEAD MAN’S CORNER”.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Very cool Michael. I think that picture captures the mood of that day so well. Here's a picture I took last year when I was there. It amazes me how little has changed. Really enjoyed my tour of Normandy. Highly recommend it.

View attachment 49718
A very evocative painting.

I enjoy reading the 'After The Battle' series, and I'm always impressed at how well the Europeans restore and maintain their towns and villages despite the ravages of war. If that corner were in the US, that house would have been razed decades ago to make room for a strip mall or a convenience store.

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A very evocative painting.

I enjoy reading the 'After The Battle' series, and I'm always impressed at how well the Europeans restore and maintain their towns and villages despite the ravages of war. If that corner were in the US, that house would have been razed decades ago to make room for a strip mall or a convenience store.
that's almost excatly what some one wants to do to Gettysburg and Bull Run

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have an approx. 15 year old National Geographic guide to civil war battlefields which includes a photo of a portion of the Spotsylvania battlefield which is now covered by a Pizza Hut parking lot. I shudder to think of how many more obscenities have been perpetrated since then.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have an approx. 15 year old National Geographic guide to civil war battlefields which includes a photo of a portion of the Spotsylvania battlefield which is now covered by a Pizza Hut parking lot. I shudder to think of how many more obscenities have been perpetrated since then.
Really, I've always liked Pizza Hut?

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Uhm, if that corner were in the US it wouldn't be a WWII battle site...DUH!