DC/PB destruction

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
So in terms of DC destroying a PB, the PB is destroyed by a DC kia provided that KIA's # is ≥ the pillbox TEM that applied to the DC.

So, if the DC is placed/set IN the PB is the applicable TEM 0?

B e n

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
So in terms of DC destroying a PB, the PB is destroyed by a DC kia provided that KIA's # is ≥ the pillbox TEM that applied to the DC.

So, if the DC is placed/set IN the PB is the applicable TEM 0?
A placed DC uses its Original (prior to modification, including TEM) DR's IFT result to determine if a large enough KIA has been achieved. A set DC uses its final DR, and a set DC does not apply TEM. [B30.92, A23.71]. Strictly speaking, they do not use a TEM of zero. Rather the TEM is not a factor when determining whether a pillbox is destroyed.

JR

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Thanks for that bud. However, I am focusing on the 'kia must be over the applicable TEM' part. If I place a DC when I am inside the PB is my target TEM for the KIA then 0?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Last sentence of B30.31, a DC that is thrown/placed from and to inside a pillbox is treated as a set DC.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Only the Japanese can place/throw a DC from inside to inside a pillbox. If you are playing American Tragedy, the *Americans* earn two VP for each eliminated pillbox. I don't think the Japanese would want to eliminate pillboxes, but perhaps there is a method to that madness.

JR

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I'm playing OBS. There are a lot of PBs The set DC method is too slow. It's easier to enter the (empty) PB, place the DC, exit, detonate in adfph and benefit from B30. 31.

In Terms of a Japanese unit setting off a DC in it'd own PB? Would that effect anyone in the hex of the PB with a 36+ in hex TEM? Or would that only effect the PB location?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I'm playing OBS.
I don't know what "OBS" is. Help me here. Perhaps "Ordeal Before Shuri"?

There are a lot of PBs The set DC method is too slow. It's easier to enter the (empty) PB, place the DC, exit, detonate in adfph and benefit from B30. 31.
Only a Japanese unit can place (/throw) a DC in its own Location, even if the unit then exits the Location [A23.61]. Usually the Japanese aren't interested in blowing up pillboxes.

In Terms of a Japanese unit setting off a DC in it'd own PB? Would that effect anyone in the hex of the PB with a 36+ in hex TEM? Or would that only effect the PB location?
A DC affects only the location it is placed in or set in. When thrown it affects the location thrown to, and usually affects the location thrown from.

JR

Last edited:

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Yep it's Ordeal Before Shuri. I missed the fact that only Japanese can place in their own location.

So my understanding so far, I can place into an empty PB from the same hex, that DC will act as a set DC, because its a set DC it ignores the TEM of the PB (as per the italics part below) and it benefits from a -3DRM. So any KIA will destroy the PB.

(30.92 ELIMINATION: A pillbox is eliminated by any DC, or non-Area-Target-Type ordnance, attack whose IFT Original DR [EXC: Final DR, for a Set DC; 30.31; A23.7] vs it/its-contents is a KIA, provided that KIA's # is ≥ the pillbox TEM that applied to the DC-IFT or ordnance-TH DR. For pillbox-elimination purposes only, the KIA's # is increased by two if the KIA was caused by a Placed/Set DC. "

If I'm right is there any reason to ever set a DC in a PB

Have I picked a complex subject or am I missing something really simple?

b e n

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
So my understanding so far, I can place into an empty PB from the same hex, that DC will act as a set DC, because its a set DC it ignores the TEM of the PB (as per the italics part below) and it benefits from a -3DRM. So any KIA will destroy the PB.
A DC placed from outside the pillbox INTO a pillbox in the same hex uses the NCA TEM [B30.113]. Against a wood pillbox a placed DC will eliminate the pillbox on an effects DR of two or three. A placed DC can't eliminate a stone pillbox from the NCA, including when placed from the same hex.

If I'm right is there any reason to ever set a DC in a PB

Have I picked a complex subject or am I missing something really simple
You have missed that the NCA TEM applies to an attack from in-hex unless the attack is from and to the pillbox.

JR