DC from Minefield.

Beseler

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
May a unit place a DC 'from' a minefield to an ADJ hex, without suffering a minefield attack?

From what I read, a unit suffers a minefield attack when 'exiting' that hex, and to place a DC, all MF are expended 'in' the placement hex.

So it would seem that the DC player does not suffer an attack. Seems strange. Am I missing something?

McFinn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is no minefield attack in this case.

A review of A 23.3 & B 28.1-5 supports your interpretation of the rules.

I've always played it as no attack.

Grumpy mode on: :(
The ability of units placing Demo charges to "teleport" over mine fields (in placement hex or in the hex being placed from) has always been a rule that irked me. :angry:

The issue gets worse if both the target/placement hex and the hex the placing unit is in have minefields, there is still no minefield attack.

Ah well, ASL physics

Grumpy mode off: :)

Last edited:

Oberst Balck

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
same as OBA

Hi,

There is nothing so satisfying than watching your opponents wire/minefield positon get blown to bits by your heavy OBA .. And you lost diddly squat..

However the other way is to do it by hand -namely with DC.

I really don't see the problem, do you prefer that the unit moves INTO the minefiled then blows himself up as well ? Its just a placed DC...

bye

:nuts:

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Beseler said:
May a unit place a DC 'from' a minefield to an ADJ hex, without suffering a minefield attack?

From what I read, a unit suffers a minefield attack when 'exiting' that hex, and to place a DC, all MF are expended 'in' the placement hex.

So it would seem that the DC player does not suffer an attack. Seems strange. Am I missing something?
I think the rules for DCs say something to the effect that all mf are expended in the 'placement' hex, or something like that. And since minefields only attack when entering-exiting the hex its probably not subject to a mine attack. You might be able to get away with a mine-clearance attempt & placement of the DC at the same time if the clearance rules don't strictly prohibit it & if there aren't any other restrictions, but I'm just guessing there. I'd have to check the rules to be 100% sure about that wily idea though.

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
The rule says: "The act of Placing the DC is considered movement expended in the Placement Hex (the Location occupied by the Placing unit—not the Location in which the DC is actually Placed) and therefore a unit could conceivably remain entrenched the entire time,..."

From the rule, it is clear that the unit doesn't leave its current hex, and therefore doesn't enter the target hex either, so it could be minefields in both hexes without affecting the placement attempt.

FrankH.

Reaction score
McFinn said:
There is no minefield attack in this case.

A review of A 23.3 & B 28.1-5 supports your interpretation of the rules.

This is the way I've always played it.

The ability of units placing Demo charges to "teleport" over mine fields (in placement hex or in the hex being placed from) has always been a rule that irked me. :angry:

The issue gets worse if both the target/placement hex and the hex the placing unit is in have minefields, there is still no minefield attack.

Ah well, ASL physics
From what I can see, you can Place a DC into an Adjacent hex that you are otherwise allowed to enter, but do not enter (expending instead all the MF that entry of the Adjacent hex would normally cost) in a minefield hex. This may be similar in concept to the Bangalore torpedo used to remove a Wire - A26.51.

In any case, from what I can see, you cannot remove a Minefield with a DC attack, only HE Concentration FFE or Aerial Bomb attack, or a Clearance attempt (A24.74).

Frank

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Oberst Balck said:
Mmm well I don't have the new rulebook yet so that's my excuse..>>
...except that nothing of this changed from ASLRBv1 to ALSRBv2 :p