DC Conscripts

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Jim - do you know who is controlling the list now?
I had to dig through my inbox. I gave control of the mailing list to David Wolff. I can still access and manage the email list. I can add/remove people in a pinch but I would rather find someone who can simply take control of it. Bill Stopple and Jim Mehl also have control over the list but neither of them ever managed it so I doubt they could walk you through it without learning first themself. Anyone want to volunteer? I cleaned up a some of the bouncers this afternoon once I logged in. -- jim

Scully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I posted to the DC Conscripts email list and have 3 interested in playing. Here's who I have so far:

Brian Scully
Sean - my 12 year old son who played his first SK scenario with me the other day might come
William Stoppel
Lt. Target
Sparafucil3 -- let me know if you can make it
3 from DC Conscript list

I'll stop or call Game Parlor to make sure there's space and reserve tables. We'll also need to figure out opponents.

I'm happy to help out with the email list, but have limited time (and technical ability) to be the only one responsible. I don't know any ASL players locally, so others will need to reach out to them.

I'd prefer to start at noon, but am open to kicking off whenever GP opens (I'll check what time).

Any others interested in joining? Let me know so I can get enough tables.

Regards,
Brian

Last edited:

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Brian,
See my post #20 above. I'd like to get added to the mail list, but don't know where to find it. I will not be able to make it this month.

Paul

Scully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I put in a request for 2 tables at Game Parlor for the 28th. The 2 tables, which are actually 4 smaller tables, will very comfortably fit 8, comfortably fit 10-12, and could fit 16 if necessary. I'll request more tables if we need them. They'll let me know tomorrow if they're available. We'd have the tables from 11am - 10pm, so I'd propose we plan to meet at 11.

Brian

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If the Conscripts meetings become a regular thing, it would be good to deconflict them with the MMP playtesting on the 3rd Sat of the month, and the FFE meetings (historically on the 2nd Sat of the month, but may move to the 3rd Sat) to give folks opportunities to participate in one or more events each month if they want to. I'd like to do all three during the course of the year, but likely won't be able to attend more than one each month. Other folks may be more available to participate in multiple events.

Scully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Quick Update:

2 Tables are reserved at Game Parlor Chantilly starting at 11am on Saturday, February 28th. I currently have 8 attending, with a few other maybes. Next step is lining up opponents. Do we do that beforehand or do folks generally show up and pick an opponent and scenario when they get there? We have two young ASLers coming that we'll pair up in an SK game. I know we have a few returning players (including me) and I assume a few more experienced players. Any thoughts on pairing people up would be appreciated.

Regards,
Brian

Last edited:

Scully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That would make sense Paul, as I'd like to attend the MMP playtesting once in a while if possible. I can't commit to coordinating a monthly meeting, but would be happy to set sessions up periodically at GP.

Regards,
Brian

If the Conscripts meetings become a regular thing, it would be good to deconflict them with the MMP playtesting on the 3rd Sat of the month, and the FFE meetings (historically on the 2nd Sat of the month, but may move to the 3rd Sat) to give folks opportunities to participate in one or more events each month if they want to. I'd like to do all three during the course of the year, but likely won't be able to attend more than one each month. Other folks may be more available to participate in multiple events.

william.stoppel

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree that regularly scheduled gaming sessions are the way to go. Wasn't there another conflict at the GP on the 1st weekend of the month? If so it looks like the 4th weekend will be the de facto selection.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Quick Update:

2 Tables are reserved at Game Parlor Chantilly starting at 11am on Saturday, February 28th. I currently have 8 attending, with a few other maybes. Next step is lining up opponents. Do we do that beforehand or do folks generally show up and pick an opponent and scenario when they get there? We have two young ASLers coming that we'll pair up in an SK game. I know we have a few returning players (including me) and I assume a few more experienced players. Any thoughts on pairing people up would be appreciated.

Regards,
Brian
So there are two ways it was done "back in the day". People would pre-arrange a game with other people and meet and play. Later on, it became the role of the event organizer to arrange matches for people. We had a couple of us who would rotate off and on as the designated "odd-man-out" in case and odd number showed up or someone came who was not expected. Each of these have merits. As one of the ones doing the arranging, I thought the concept was good in concept but difficult to execute. Jim Mehl did it more than I did though so he might have different thoughts on the matter. I will likely show up even if only to say hello. -- jim

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From a time management perspective, it is advantageous to precoordinate matches. Not sure that most folks will want to bring their entire kit if they aren't sure what they will be playing, or if an opponent will even be available. Would also give the scenario defender time to set up before arriving. Being the "Arranger" will require a little bit of time, but once you get a feel for who the active players are, it shouldn't be too bad.

According to the calendar at the Game Parlor website, the Washington Gamers Association meets there the first Sat of the month. It's been a while since I've been there, but I think on those days it's pretty crowded.

There is a small fee for each table ($5 I think) which players generally split. If you buy something at the store (you'll have to check - I think it has to be at least $20), I believe they waive the fee.

Jim - If this gains traction, who has the template for the Conscripts polo shirts? :cool:

Can't make it this month, but hope to find time in the not too distant future.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Jim - If this gains traction, who has the template for the Conscripts polo shirts? :cool:
I would have to dig in my inbox, but as I recall, the company who did the ones I have was owned by a spouse/close friend of a Conscript. She was able to do small runs and they didn't end up costing too much. If it comes to this (or if someone just wants to see if there is enough interest to order some), I will dig and see if I can pull that information out and forward it to them. If I don't have it, I bet Chris Baer does. -- jim

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would have to dig in my inbox, but as I recall, the company who did the ones I have was owned by a spouse/close friend of a Conscript. She was able to do small runs and they didn't end up costing too much. If it comes to this (or if someone just wants to see if there is enough interest to order some), I will dig and see if I can pull that information out and forward it to them. If I don't have it, I bet Chris Baer does. -- jim
Probably a little early to start asking for orders, but it would good to know if the contact it still good. They are nice shirts - I'd be interested. I helped coordinate an update of the FFE t-shirts a couple of years ago, so I know what's involved with an effort like that.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Probably a little early to start asking for orders, but it would good to know if the contact it still good. They are nice shirts - I'd be interested. I helped coordinate an update of the FFE t-shirts a couple of years ago, so I know what's involved with an effort like that.
When I did it for the Conscripts it was easy. The pattern was on file and the manufacture just fired up the machine to run them off. People picked the shirt style the wanted, let me know. Because it was easier for me, I fronted the cost and collected from people in return for their shirts. It took about two weeks from start to finish. Relatively painless. If I collected the money up front, I suspect that would have been much more difficult. -- jim

Scully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All,

It would be great if everyone headed over to the DC Conscript mailing list to coordinate opponents. Here's the link: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/Conscripts.

Another person is coming, so I believe we're at 9.

I've also offered to manage the list and coordinate future "meetups" at Game Parlor. If I end up managing things, I could use some help. And Paul, I'll leave the t-shirts to you.

Brian

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Brian,
Sounds good. Will look forward to making it to a future meeting. Regarding the shirts, I believe they are polo-style shirts in gun metal gray color with DC Conscripts embroidered on the left chest. If we think there may be interest I can work with Jim to line up another order, based on his research on the last batch.

Last edited: