DC Conscripts

LtTarget

Reaction score
I talked to someone at WO this year who mentioned an effort to regroup the DC Conscripts ASL club. I'm not exactly DC, but close enough. Anyone have and info?

Thanks,

Steve

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Steve,
I've lived in No. VA since 2000, although I didn't get back in to ASL until 2010 or so. By that time the club had largely gone dormant. I was able to find some of their old newsletters online, and it looks like they had 20+ members at one point. A couple of the guys used to show up the 1st Sat of the month at the Game Parlor store in Chantilly in 2010-2011, although that wasn't always a regular occurrence, and you weren't always guaranteed an opponent if you just showed up. I've joined the FFE club that meets in Fredericksburg once a month, and there are a couple of the Conscripts guys that show up there. The drive down is tough in the summer (south on I-95 on Saturday mornings), so I wouldn't be opposed to having another option closer to the DC area, especially if the FFE folks skip a month. The FFE club is scheduled to meet on the 21st, so if there isn't anything posted here in the meantime, I'll ask if anyone has heard anything.

Scully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Steve,

I checked the DC Conscripts email list a few days ago and it looks like it's inactive. I played pretty regularly with them in 2003-2004 and tried to restart a few years ago when they were slowing down. I'm just returning to the game after a few years, but am open to FtF if either of you want a game sometime.

pwashington: is there a website for FFE? I would like to check it out to see if it's an option for me.

Brian

william.stoppel

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fort tried to resuscitate the Conscripts a couple of years ago. There are certainly enough players in DC to have a club. Definitely worth the effort to try and restart them again!

Scully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If there's interest among DC area ASLers, I'd be happy to reserve some tables at Game Parlor in Chantilly. I live just a few minutes away.

Brian

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
If there's interest among DC area ASLers, I'd be happy to reserve some tables at Game Parlor in Chantilly. I live just a few minutes away.

Brian
Interesting. I live a few minutes away myself. -- jim

Scully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great. The next weekend I'm available is Saturday, February 28th. Let me know if that works for you all and I'll see if I can get us some tables at Game Parlor.

Jim, let me know if you ever want to play FtF. I'm just getting back into ASL after a few years and would need some patience.

Brian

Scully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't know Fort (will probably recognize him if I see him). Did you want to reach out to him? I was thinking of posting something on the Conscripts email list to see if others are interested.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I don't know Fort (will probably recognize him if I see him). Did you want to reach out to him? I was thinking of posting something on the Conscripts email list to see if others are interested.
Someone did post to the list. -- jim

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
How does one get added to the email list?
I used to have control of this but I gave it to the last person who was trying to revive the Conscripts. I am not sure who has control of the list now. -- jim

william.stoppel

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So if we are going to try this again I recommend we all ping all the ASL players we know in the greater DC area and let them know about the game day on the 28th. Do we say 1000 when the Game Parlor opens?

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sounds good, although I don't know if there is a single conduit to hit all of the DC-area folks, both old timers (who may be on the old mail list) and the more recent additions. The old list might work okay, but it would have to be updated. Jim - do you know who is controlling the list now? Also, a couple of quick notes on the Game Parlor from having worked with them in the past: they open at 1100, and it is generally a good idea to call ahead to ensure they don't have a Magic tournament (or some other event) scheduled. The days the Washington Gamers Association meet there are pretty packed (I think that is mostly the first Sat of the month). We would need a table for every 2 people, so we would have to know how many are showing up each month.