DB139 A Hard Rain's Gona Fall AAR

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
HRGF 1.jpg

I played this one last week with Kevin Conley. I played as the defending Japanese and went with a pretty balanced setup not knowing which flank he would push on (note I hadn't decided CA for pillboxes when I took this photo.)

I am always torn on the value of foxholes. In hindsight with the dense jungle I don't think I should have used this many but it didn't impact the gameplay as much as it could have.

HRGF2.jpg

Kevin and his Australians chose to push hard on the Japanese right flank. This shot is during turn two. The Japanese firelanes were effective in spite of cowering on the same MMG fire lane roll two turns in a row. The Aussies did create two berserk squads and two heroes early on which helped them get across the sea of kunai and into the Japanese line faster than I had hoped.

HRGF4.jpg

We lost power for an hour during play so resorted to headlamps! I thought it gave a nice ambiance!

Here is turn 4 with the Japanese holding on just enough to prevent the Aussies from having two turns to run people off board.

HRGF5.jpg

Here is the final shot with a JAPANESE VICTORY. The Aussies exited a single half squad. They really got chewed up casualty wise losing 4+ squads and a leader. Note the Aussies chose to pursue the exit 5 CVP option, not going for no good order Japanese HMG/MMG at game end. I was realyl sweating this as I thought he could have tied me up in 3 melees at the end and won the game. Hard to know how it might have shaken out and as the Aussie you definitely have to decide on one VC or the other or you won't have the force to make it happen.

We really enjoyed this scenario- lots of great happenings- Berserkers, Heroes, captured HMGs, some HIP surprises, etc.

As the Japanese, in hindsight, I would probably put one of the MMG in the back line in a pillbox. If necessary you can pop up and surprise some exiting Aussies, or it can be preserved in order to maintain a Good Order MMG/HMG per VC and just reveal when necessary.

The scenario felt very balanced- the fire lanes really keep the Aussies on edge and help channel their advance. The Japanese line is brittle, though, and must pull back when needed. We had a couple of melees with both sides seeing some ambush do to stealthy, etc.

I would highly recommend. Another classic tourney size scenario from DftB.

Thank you!

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If the FL was placed IAW the SSR, it doesn't really matter if it would have normally cowered as no shot was initially made and the FL is simply placed and the unit(s) marked as fired (therefore no cowering possible) and RFP never cowers at any time (A8.224). The only detrimental effect would have been if the MG malfunctioned.

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
If the FL was placed IAW the SSR, it doesn't really matter if it would have normally cowered as no shot was initially made and the FL is simply placed and the unit(s) marked as fired (therefore no cowering possible) and RFP never cowers at any time (A8.224). The only detrimental effect would have been if the MG malfunctioned.
SSR#4 states an initiall DR is required for "purposes of cowering only." I read the SSR to mean that the only negative thing that can happen when trying to place a FL prior to movement is cowering. If the shot cowers, per FL rules, the unit would be marked final fired and no fire lane placed. I interpreted this to mean the roll could not cause a malfunction only loss of first fire ability.

I could certiainly be wrong! Would love feedback on this.

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
What is that Incremental what-cha-ma-thingy next to the board? :jig:
David- we have been experimenting with this heretical pink chart for PTO specifically. I like it because it's one less thing I have to think about- should I thrown in the LMG, etc.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SSR#4 states an initiall DR is required for "purposes of cowering only." I read the SSR to mean that the only negative thing that can happen when trying to place a FL prior to movement is cowering. If the shot cowers, per FL rules, the unit would be marked final fired and no fire lane placed. I interpreted this to mean the roll could not cause a malfunction only loss of first fire ability.

I could certiainly be wrong! Would love feedback on this.
That must have been added since the last playtest version or else I missed it. :facepalm:Sorry about blowing up!:D