Day of Darkness II

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm speechless....

[YOUTUBE]yXWf-l71MY4[/YOUTUBE]

Darn it! This video makes me very angry! Why? Because it forces me to ask myself - yet again - "Why are fan-made sci-fi flicks better than 99% of the junk coming out of Hollywood?!?"

I just don't get it! There was more vision and dead-serious passion shown in that short film than in the totality of sci-fi I have seen over the last decade (okay, maybe the opening movie of BG is the sole exception).

Someday I want to corral all the Hollywood directors into a room, strap them into a chair, pry open their eyes in a Clockwork Orange fashion, and force them to witness what real sci-fi looks like by making them watch some of these wonderful fan films!

BTW: Film details here.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Great find! A very well done movie, certainly much better than the "new and improved" into to EVE.

Five things I liked about this movie:

1. Great cinematics.
  2. Moody music complements the director's bleak vision of the future.
  3. An "extreme right wing" government seizes control and starts a war. Sounds more convincing than "go kill the purple dragon and steal his gold."
  4. Story is faithful to the EVE backstory.
  5. Gallante kicking ass and taking names. They didn't show it in the video, but the Caldari admiral had a wooden leg with a kickstand.
If Hollywood would make big budget films of stuff like this, I would take back everyting bad I ever said about them. Well, almost.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Admiral what!?:nuts: Lol

But I have to agree, a lot of fan films are much better than most Hollywood productions.

Btws, anyone make any books off of this game like a few other games that have gotten some publication? I like the atmosphere and storylines the game has and it's setting overall :)

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the heads up about the book. :) My trial ended but I liked the game and the fan films are great and I like the size of the battles :) Just wish I had a better comp and the money to play lol >.<

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Has anyone read the novel yet? There's a second one due out soon and I am still on the fence about the first one. Game novel tie-ins can be lame, so I don't want to waste my time.

Chaim628

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
I just bought the paperback (only 9€ at amazon btw) and read a few hundred pages so far. Not bad, good tension, pretty consistent storyline and dynamics. A lot will be lost on you if you don't play the game, but if you do you will recognize a lot. Will give a boost if you like to RP. Not high literature, a bit in style and level of Dan Brown. Surely worth the cost.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the review. Q: does the story deal a lot with what it is like to be a pilot? Or is it more high politics, standard space opera material?

Chaim628

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
Good part is personal action but with grand politics as background and driver of the stories. The 4 main races are represented in two connected stories which alternate, given place for some cliffhangers.