Database error and upcoming forum update

ActionBurk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For about a day whenever I tried to get to Gamesquad my dumb phone said " database error". Was the site down or was it my phone? If the phone what can I do.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Jazz. Techno Conscript here.
All of the threads and replies are stored in a database. When you hit the site, the software retrieves them, puts them in the correct order, and displays them in your browser. When it can't connect to the database, rather than display nothing, it displays "database error". -- jim

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I've got someone working on it. It looks like the site upgrade to the new software is going to happen whether I'm ready for it or not.

So hang on, there could be a lot of changes within a short period of time. This will be a learning process for me as well, so bear with me while I adjust to the new controls.

Since it looks like we're going ahead with the forum migration before I was really ready, there may not even be a forum theme at first. It'll could just be the software default, which is likely to be a bit on the plain side until I have a chance to come up with something better.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Just a quick note. The forum will be transitioning to the new software just as soon as we get everyone's schedule sorted out, possibly as soon as today or tomorrow.

I should warn you, there ARE going to be things which are different than what you've become accustomed to with vBulletin. Some things you will like better, others you may not depending on your personal preferences. Give it some time, folks. Several of the really large, popular forums I visit regularly transitioned to this new software some time ago, so I've gotten used to it from a member perspective. It's good software and I like it a lot. It's more stable and updated compared to the very old version of vBulletin we've been running for years.

It's probably going to be a bumpy ride for a week or two as I figure out the admin side of this. Also, once the forum migration is complete, I will take the opportunity to do some long-overdue house cleaning with the structure of the sub-forums. There's a lot of old stuff which has become redundant or cluttered over the years.

Don't freak out just because something looks different or you can't figure out how it works. Be patient. Take some time to explore the new options and see how things work. After doing that, if you still can't figure out how to do something, just post a question here in the help section and someone will respond.

Obviously, the look of the forum is going to change quite dramatically with the new software, so be prepared for that. Again, give yourself a chance to get used to it because there's no going back. Also, the mods are going to be learning the new system just like everyone else, so give them a break. Constructive feedback is one thing, 10,000 whiney "I hate change!" posts won't help anyone.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Here are some answers to a few questions I know some of you will have.

1. Will we be keeping the blogs? No. There is no user blog function with the new forums. Sorry.
  2. Am I going to lose reputation points? Yes. With the new software you get "likes" for content you post instead of reps.
  3. Is there going to be a new homepage for Gamesquad? Yes. It may take a week or two for me to get it set up, but there will be a homepage fully integrated with the forums.
  4. Are the game ladders going to be coming back? There are no plans for that at this time.
  5. What about avatars? Yes, you will have an avatar, although you may have to upload a new one after the forums migrate into the new system.
  6. Will there still be PMs? Not exactly. PMs will be replaced with a new and much more powerful system called conversations. Trust me, you'll like it better.
  7. Is there still going to be a classified section for buying and selling? Yes, however you may have to become a supporting member to use this feature. In time, there will probably be a new feature which allows you to rate and leave feedback about your experiences with other members.
  8. Will there be a bunch of advertisements with the new forum? There are no plans for that at this time.
  9. Will the structure of the sub-forums be changed as part of the new system? Some things will change, others will remain the same.
  10. What about the "clubs" feature? No, we will lose that.
  11. Is there going to be an integrated function to search the forums or will I have to use Google? Yes, there will be an integrated search, considerably better than the one we use now.
  12. Will I be able to subscribe to specific forums or filter out the ones I don't want? Yes, I believe those are default options with the new software.
  13. Will I still be able to ignore certain users? Yes. In addition, you will now be able to ignore certain threads.
  14. Are we still going to have the user flags? Not at first, but this may come back in time.
  15. Can we still post images to the forums? Yes, but it may work somewhat differently. You will have the ability to create photo albums and view albums created by other people.