Data on how awful two-tone counters are and how to phase them out

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As I have mentioned before in this forum, two-toned counters are terrible. They are aesthetically displeasing, and they increase the (apparent) mismatch between counter art and counter-die-cutting. At some point they presumably increased costs as well, although perhaps multi-color printing is so common nowadays that this is no longer the case.

The three arguments for two-tone counters are these:
  1. There aren't enough colors to make more monotone nationalities, especially if you want to be backwards-compatible with earlier printings, in which there was a lot of change from module to module in, say, the shade of brown used for Russians.
  2. Two-tone counters allow minor nations to use the support weapons of a major nation, and vice versa.
  3. Two-tone counters allow minor nations to use the concealment counters of a major nation, which prevents the enemy from distinguishing the two when they are allies. Note that this really only applies to the Hungarians, as all other two-tone nationalities have their own concealment counters. However, conceivably a designer could SSR use of a single concealment counter if US/UN/ROK or NK/Chinese or GMD/Communist forces were allies.
I will address #1 later on.

In the case of #2 and #3, it seems worth looking to see whether scenario designers have actually taken advantage of these possibilities. The argument for two-tone counters is stronger or weaker depending on whether or not they have. Gung-Ho introduced the two-tone Chinese in 1992; Armies of Oblivion the two-tone Hungarians in 2006; Festung Budapest the two-tone Buda Volunteer Regiment in 2012; Forgotten War three two-tone nationalities (Post-civil-war Chinese, South Koreans, and UN forces). That's 50 nationality-years of two-tone counters; so, have scenario designers been using these capabilities?

I looked at all of the scenarios in my collection, which includes most MMP scenarios, all the free scenarios I could find online, and the DFTB scenarios. I invite people who are interested to do the tallying for products I don't own, and I'll add them here. I included scenarios in which two-tone counters were used for a different nationality, but I only found a couple of instances of this, in which GMD counters are used for the Thai army. I divided scenarios into 4 classes; a scenario can belong to more than one class.

1) Class A: The two-tone nationality shares concealment counters with its monochrome big brother in a way that could deceive the opponent. So if the scenario includes both German infantry and Hungarian infantry, for example, the scenario is class A. A scenario with Hungarian infantry and German armor would not fall into this category, since there is no room for confusion, as all-and-only the 1/2" counters are known to be Hungarian regardless of how they are concealed.

2) Class B: The two-tone nationality uses a SW, Gun, or AFV from its monochrome big brother as its own. I only included a scenario in this class if a two-tone counter for that SW, etc, does not exist.

3) Class C: The two-tone nationality uses a SW, Gun, or AFV from its monochrome big brother as its own. I only included a scenario in this class if enough two-tone counters for that SW, etc, do not exist in the core module. So if a scenario calls for the PRC to use 12 Russian LMGs, but there are only 8 two-tone Russian LMGs, someone can substitute 4 all-brown Russian LMGs as well. Note that this is only a benefit for physical play, not VASL, which is why I separated it from Class B.

3) Class D: The two-tone nationality's SW, Guns, or AFVs can be used by its monochrome big brother. Note that this is the original justification for two-tone counters given in Footnote G45. I didn't notice any of these scenarios, although they are harder to find just by scrolling through my binder. The obvious place to look would be WW2-era scenarios with the Chinese Communists, but I don't think I actually own any of those.
NationalityScenariosClass AClass BClass CClass DTotal (Classes A-D)
GMD1801001
Hungarians2915-16*90019
BVR65-6*6006
PRC800101
ROK200000
UN100000
Total5816-17*121021
Note that the totals aren't always the sum of the rows/columns because the same scenario can be in multiple rows and columns.
* I wasn't sure whether to count FB14, a three player German-Russian-Hungarian scenario, as Class A or not. It is counted under Class B in both cases, however.

At first glance, this seems like an argument in favor of two-tone counters, as about 1/3 of the scenarios take advantage of the special characteristics of two-tone counters. However, a closer look shows a grimmer picture. Of the 22 scenarios that use two-tone counters, 17 come from Festung Budapest--only 2 scenarios outside of FB have Germans and Hungarians sharing concealment counters. The only scenario outside FB to use German counters in a Hungarian OOB is 115, and in that case, two German tanks are treated as Hungarian, but they enter from offboard, so they may never even conceal, vitiating the advantage. Even in FB, had MMP printed a mere 6 Hungarian-colored counters (3 MMG, 2 LMG, 1 PSK), there would be no need to use German counters in Hungarian OOBs in any scenario (although the campaign games are a different story; CG are not included in the above counts). Excluding FB, a mere 5 scenarios out of 39 use the advantages of two-tone counters, and only minimally at that.

So, what are my recommendations?

GMD: There is no reason for the GMD to be two-tone. In the 27 years since there release, I only found one scenario that took advantage of the brown edging, FT02, which uses the GMD counters to represent the Thai army. Future editions of Rising Sun should make the GMD monotone German Blue. Since no scenario designers are interested in giving Russian SW to the GMD, or GMD SW to the Russians/Partisans/Chinese Communists, we lose nothing. Sure, the Germans and GMD can't fight each other now, but who cares? And who knows, maybe the ability to use GMD counters in German OOBs could help portray backwater German units, although this seems like a stretch to me.

Hungarians: Before Festung Budapest, I would have recommended that the Hungarians be represented by Axis Minor Green, and the Bulgarians and Romanians transferred to Finnish Gray, which solves the Hungary-vs-Germany's-Ex's problem, and has the satisfying outcome that all the side-switchers are now in a nice shade of gray. Hungarians could no longer co-conceal with the Germans, but this only affects 3 non-FB scenarios, and it's not clear to me what the historical justification for this pair of allies--and only this pair of allies--being able to co-conceal.

As it is, @Bill Cirillo and the boys (apparently alone among scenario designers) have actually taken advantage of the possibilities of two-tone Hungarians, so if we care about backwards compatibility, the Hungarians should probably remain two-tone in the next edition of Armies of Oblivion.

Buda Volunteer Regiment: No reason for two-tone here. Any reprint of FB should have the BVR in monotone Russian brown. Give them a little insignia in the upper right corner of the counter and you're good to go.

Korean Nationalities: It's too early for there to be more Korean scenarios. However, based on decades of experience with the GMD and Hungarians, we can be pretty confident that scenario designers are going to stick to the provided OBs, and when they don't, it's unlikely that they are going to want exactly the right SW that would actually be useful. So, should Forgotten War ever get reprinted, here's how it should be:
ROK: Allied Minor Green. No brainer.
PRC: Finnish Gray, to suit cold-weather badasses without armor support. Alternatively you could make them Axis Minor Green, on the principle that all that Green-Green-Brown would be appropriate for a minor theater of conflict with more than a hint of civil war to it.
UN: French Blue, then you might even be able to use the counters to represent the occasional Free French OB. This will ruin the upcoming Critical Hit module in which Marshall Petain uses a time machine to invade the 1950s, but they'll probably print their own counters for that one anyway.

So, to go back to the beginning: I have now addressed all three of the arguments in favor of two-toned counters implicitly, but I'll do so explicitly:

1. Lack of colors is not an argument in favor of two-toned counters. Since every nationality does not face every other nationality on the battlefield, there are plenty of schemes in which currently two-toned counters could be replaced by existing colors and we would be, if anything, better off.
  2. Two-toned nations sharing counters with monotone nations is a possibility, sure, but it's not a possibility that scenario designers have taken advantage of, with the exception of Festung Budapest. Apart from FB, I was only able to find 2 scenarios that do this. Eliminating two-toned counters will therefore have very little effect on anything.
  3. Co-concealment is only an option for the Hungarians, and it isn't clear to me what the historical justification for this is. It is also not a widely used option outside of Festung Budapest (3 scenarios), but it is used enough in Festung Budapest that I am willing to concede that Hungarians should remain two-toned.
So, MMP, I beg you, no more two-toned counters, there is no good reason for them. And ideally, future editions of Rising Sun and Forgotten War should be printed in monotone as suggested above. Got it, @Perry?

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Open questions:
1) This analysis is based on my personal scenario collection, which isn't huge. If third-party scenarios are taking advantage of the special abilities of two-tone counters, that will affect my opinion of them. If you want to take a look at your scenarios and give me the data from them, I'll update the table above according, and my conclusions and recommendations as well.

So far, that table includes:
1-230
AP1-AP131
BoF
FB
J147-J193
U13-U48
WO1-WO17
DFTB
Pretty much any scenario that's available for free download.

2) Are there any instances of monotone nationalities (Russians, Communist Chinese, Germans) using two-tone counters? Since these are harder to find, I might have missed them in the scenario list above, so please let me know of any that come to mind.

3) What is the historical tactical-level justification for Germans and Hungarians being able to share concealment counters, but not other allies? Is there one? I would be interested in hearing from the Eastern Front historians on this question.

4) Are there any scenarios in which designers take advantage of co-concealment for non-Hungarian two-toned counters? I.e., something like a GMD + Communist vs the Japanese scenario in which both nationalities use Russian concealment counters by SSR.

5) Festung Budapest is the only campaign game I can think of that involves two-tone counters. What others are out there that I'm missing?

6) Are there any scenarios that use the Buda Volunteer Regiment counters outside of Festung Budapest? I probably would have missed them if so.

7) Poland In Flames: I don't own it, so I didn't include it in this analysis. Without looking closely at the product, there
doesn't really seem like there is any reason for those counters not to be monotone Allied Minor Green, however.

8) Are there other two-tone counters I don't know about that I can dunk on?

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I disagree - I like the look of the two tone colors. i think it adds some flavor to the counter mix.

As for Poland in Flames, i did a lot of playtest and grew very tired of the light green allied minor colors. The addition of the Polish two tone renewed my interest to play scenarios that I had not playtested. As for the Hungarians, it does allow for scenarios between Romanians and Hungarians to be played - there are some from HoB and other designers as well as FB which you mentioned.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
  1. It really seems that you have a personal problem with two-colour units
  2. You are indeed missing many TPP products.
  3. ASL units are like a tool kit. If some aspects are not exploited enough (yet), there is no reason to reduce the options of the kit.
  4. Whatever you can write, MMP won't change things anyway
Conclusion : we all like to charge windmills on some occasions.
Just to inform you : your windmills are not giants.
Mine neither are, but I don't want to listen to Sancho Pansa - he makes life too dull.

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
@JR Brackin Two-tone isn't what allows Romanian vs Hungarian actions--all that is necessary for that is that they have different colors. My monotone proposals above still allow for Romanian vs Hungarian and Bulgarian vs Hungarian scenarios. I take what you mean about the novelty of them, although this isn't something that floats my boat.

@Swiftandsure 1) is correct. As for 2), that's one of the reasons why I posted it, to get more data. I take your philosophy on 3), but in this instance, I don't think that the hypothetical future benefits are worth the cost. 4) You're not wrong.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
For the moment I will ignore previous comments and give just my simplistic take on two tones.

The main disadvantage is bad counter cutting can make a bigger mess than mono tone counters.

The main advantage is that there are few enough distinct usable colours that can survive vagaries in colour printing and still be distinct. As it is, I have British counters that clearly voted Labour as they come close to some of my Soviet counters and others that belong in the Gay Liberation Front. My Soviets have all the shades of brown that a lifetime of defecating has provided. While the German powder blue variations match nobody, my French vary from medium blue to dark blue, another blue is out. Sorry, but I don't fancy Orange, Red or Purple nationalities, they are too "system"-y for my taste.

So provided they are reasonably well cut, I am absolutely fine with two tone counters. YMMV

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting thesis, but I am shocked and appalled by the blatant, almost newbie-ish, failure to take advantage of an AO (Acronym Opportunity). You used "two-tone" no less than 35 times and not a single "TT". You passed up the opportunity for TTC (Two-Tone Counter) 13 times, and TTN (Two-Tone Nationality) six times.

Who am I, Iron Man? I'm supposed to have the stamina to read all those letters? I'm a Merican, dammit! GWTP!

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For the moment I will ignore previous comments and give just my simplistic take on two tones.

The main disadvantage is bad counter cutting can make a bigger mess than mono tone counters.

The main advantage is that there are few enough distinct usable colours that can survive vagaries in colour printing and still be distinct. As it is, I have British counters that clearly voted Labour as they come close to some of my Soviet counters and others that belong in the Gay Liberation Front. My Soviets have all the shades of brown that a lifetime of defecating has provided. While the German powder blue variations match nobody, my French vary from medium blue to dark blue, another blue is out. Sorry, but I don't fancy Orange, Red or Purple nationalities, they are too "system"-y for my taste.

So provided they are reasonably well cut, I am absolutely fine with two tone counters. YMMV
Shouldn't you say YKMV? :)

Last edited:

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting thesis, but I am shocked and appalled by the blatant, almost newbie-ish, failure to take advantage of an AO (Acronym Opportunity). You used "two-tone" no less than 35 times and not a single "TT". You passed up the opportunity for TTC (Two-Tone Counter) 13 times, and TTN (Two-Tone Nationality) six times.

Who am I, Iron Man? I'm supposed to have the stamina to read all those letters? I'm a Merican, dammit! GWTP!
Stamina? Or attention span?

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
@Tooz : glad you think so! That's my goal here. When I delivered my original unhinged rant on the topic, I got a lot of the (fair) response that it wasn't a matter of taste; that TTCs have a crucial function that required their preference over monotone, regardless of the aesthetics of the situation. But now I've gather data on the claim, and so far, it seems that there isn't actually much function to TTCs, and we can debate them (or de gustibus non disputandum, as the case may be) purely as a matter of taste. If I can convince people that this is the case, I am making progress!

@Tuomo, good call. I hope I can be forgiven, because I only picked up my first starter kit in 2011, so I am in fact a Newbie.

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I'm not particularly fond of two-tone counters aesthetically, but it's never occurred to me that there's a playability problem with them, except maybe if they're poorly cut, then concealment counters don't work as well. But in practice, that's never really been an issue. In the realm of pick-your-battles, campaigning to eliminate two-tone counters is not a battle I would choose to fight.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
@Tooz : glad you think so! That's my goal here. When I delivered my original unhinged rant on the topic, I got a lot of the (fair) response that it wasn't a matter of taste; that TTCs have a crucial function that required their preference over monotone, regardless of the aesthetics of the situation. But now I've gather data on the claim, and so far, it seems that there isn't actually much function to TTCs, and we can debate them (or de gustibus non disputandum, as the case may be) purely as a matter of taste. If I can convince people that this is the case, I am making progress
"Too each one his own" doesn't mean that it is a question of personal aesthetic taste.
It can mean that there are different ways to adress a problem.

Now, you are a newbie and you are trying to prove that a solution which has been adopted for about a quarter of a century and widely accepted should be rejected...
But you offer no better solution, except reducing the adaptability of those units to equip weapons from a major nation and, in the case of Hungarians, making them indistinguishable from other Axis minors that they actually fought?
Your path of "progress" could lead, in the extreme, to only two colours : one for Allies and the other for Axis units - the numerical values and other signs making the difference between, say, Chinese and Bulgarian units.
Or even have all possible units printed in red and in blue, so that everybody could use the equipment of everybody.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Some folks have entirely too much time on their hands......

I would also observe that the time stamp for this post (very questionable I know) indicates that it does not qualify as an April Fools thing......

OTOH, there is more than a little merit to Tuomo's castigation of the OP regarding the abysmal utilization of acronym opportunities.

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, Robin, I think I would argue that the fact they have been around for so long, but only been used for their "intended" purpose of SW-sharing a handful of times, actually supports my case. I would also note that I do propose a solution; one that retains all the nation-vs-nation matchup possibilities there were before. There is a tiny cost to it of eliminating a "feature" that nobody really uses, but I think this is balanced by the tiny benefit of giving scenario designers a few more squad types to play with, especially in the case of the Germans, which is a much more popular nationality to designers than any of the TTNs. Since I've made it pretty clear that my problem is with two-tone counters rather than the existence of multiple tones, I'm not really sure where your argumentum ad absurdum about printing everything in two colors is coming from.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Since no scenario designers are interested in giving Russian SW to the GMD, or GMD SW to the Russians/Partisans/Chinese Communists, we lose nothing.
18.4 EQUIPMENT: All Chinese use Chinese (i.e., two-tone color) SW, Guns, and vehicles. Neither Red nor G.M.D. Chinese treat Chinese SW/Guns as Captured, even if one side captures them from the other during play. Each SW Scrounged/Removed from a Chinese vehicle is represented by the appropriate Chinese SW.

The GMD are TTC because we need the weapons to be TTC since both Red Chinese & the GMD use the same TTC weapons.

It’s past midnight here .. but just by flipping thru Blood & Jungle, I can see a couple of scenarios where the Red Chinese indeed uses TTC weapons. So I wouldn’t say “no designer are interested”.. etc, it’s in the rules.

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
@Justiciar wanna tease any?

@hongkongwargamer if you or anybody else gets a chance, I am happy to add the Blood & Jungle results to my table. All we need is number of scenarios that use any TTCs, and then which of those scenarios are in each of the classes. I think I give enough info in the OP to replicate my methods, although I'm happy to take a look at scenarios if it's unclear. As I mention in my OP, I don't think that there are any scenarios in my collection that feature the Red Chinese, which is why I don't give G18.4 much weight. But as more data comes in, I'm happy to revisit the question. (Although I should also note that MMP is busy printing "SD attempt" counters, so it's not as though space on the sprues is at a premium. We couldn't just print off a set of Russian Brown Chinese SW if we wanted to take the GMD monotone. It seems kinda weird to say "we absolutely must print out every iteration of DFF counters as well Russian leader counters with Korean names" but reject out of hand the idea that a Rising Sun reprint might give the Reds their own SW).