Dashing through a road containing a wreck/friendly stopped vehicle

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does that wreck/friendly stopped vehicle negate FFMO?

I would think so...just want to confirm.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
A4.63 says that "FFMO/FFNAM DRM apply normally".
As a friendly vehicle or a wreck normally negate FFMO, I believe that a dashing unit would benefit from their cover.

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A4.63 says that "FFMO/FFNAM DRM apply normally".
As a friendly vehicle or a wreck normally negate FFMO, I believe that a dashing unit would benefit from their cover.
That's my thought as well.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
As would a hindrance which blocked clear LOS to the target location, SMOKE in the hex, etc.

JR

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
...though the wreck wouldn't affect anything if it was recently still a moving vehicle, moving into the hex earlier in the MPh before becoming wrecked.

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought once a vehicle was wrecked that it became cover instantly, even if it would not have been on cover due to moving if still alive???

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I thought once a vehicle was wrecked that it became cover instantly, even if it would not have been on cover due to moving if still alive???
No.

D9.3:
"All Infantry in the same Location with a wreck/friendly-AFV/abandoned-enemy-AFV are entitled to a +1 TEM unless one or more of the following applies: they are being fired on from within that same Location; the wreck is burning (10.3); that AFV/wreck is entrenched (B27.52), Dug-In (9.54), or at a different level than the Infantry in its Depression hex, or that AFV would be subject to TH Case J (a Stopped AFV or wreck which has moved/was in Motion during the current Player Turn’s MPh provides a +1 TEM during all Phases following the AFPh) if at that moment it were to be fired on by ordnance (C.8) [EXC: Armored Assault (9.31); units Abandoning/Surviving/unloading/Bailing-Out from an AFV (5.5, 5.6, 6.5, & 6.24)]. "

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
As Klas has it, if the vehicle moved during the current player turn's MPh, it is a Moving vehicle until the end of the AFPh. Where it gets tricky is if the vehicle stops outside of that window. Then it may become an instant TEM. So for instance a Motion vehicle that is destroyed in the enemy player turn becomes an instant TEM. A Motion vehicle that stops during the friendly PFPh (e.g. Stunned due to SAN, destroyed by friendly OBA or ATT) also becomes an instant TEM. Also, per D9.3 the TEM applies to units exiting that vehicle.

JR

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Damn! I have been doing that wrong forever. I always thought it a bit odd that getting blown up made it instantly cover, but figured 'eh, ASL physics'. Thanks for the clarification!

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Remember to remember that even in the MPh it does become instant cover for PRC becoming infantry... the EXC at the end of D9.3 (JRV already mentioned but I think worthwhile to underscore...)
...[EXC.... units Abandoning/Surviving/unloading/Bailing-Out from an AFV (5.5, 5.6, 6.5, & 6.24)]. "

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So do we need a new status counter, do I put a motion counter on the wreck to remember or I just have to remember it?

buser333

Reaction score
Damn! I have been doing that wrong forever. I always thought it a bit odd that getting blown up made it instantly cover, but figured 'eh, ASL physics'. Thanks for the clarification!
Perhaps what you were thinking of is the burning wreck rule. In that case the smoke cover is instantaneous.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
...though the wreck wouldn't affect anything if it was recently still a moving vehicle, moving into the hex earlier in the MPh before becoming wrecked.
If one follows the "normally" adverb to Dash FFMO, all normal reasons for its (non)application will apply - including the situation when a moving friendly vehicle was wrecked during that MPh (which doesn't annulate FFMO in other situations than Dash).