Dashing and wall advantage

Tony Gibson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Today Joe Arthur and I played a scenario.
One of his squads dashed across a road and one of my squads wanted to fire on it.
The LOS went along a wall (target hex) and normally the dashing unit would have got the wall, but another of my squads held Wall Advantage over that wall.
Couldn't figure out what rule to use but decided it should be a -2 shot since they were in the open.
Is this correct?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
TEM for fire along a wall is not affected by WA. An illustration or hex coordinates would help.

Tony Gibson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Board 41 German unit in W4 holds WA (Unit is a half squad and has already first fired).
American unit in Y4 wants to dash to W3
German unit in W5 fires at dashing infantry.
Thanks for any help.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Board 41 German unit in W4 holds WA (Unit is a half squad and has already first fired).
American unit in Y4 wants to dash to W3
German unit in W5 fires at dashing infantry.
In this situation the American unit entering X3 will get the wall TEM when fired on from W5. W4, and the unit there has no impact on that.

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Why? I dont see that in the B9.321 example. Where should I look for that?

aloha_brian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why does he get wall in X3, the 1/2 squad in W4 has WA.
If the half squad in W4 shoots, it doesn't get the wall. It only gets the wall if fired on by the W5 squad; which is not a wall advantage situation. It's just a normal running behind a wall that's along a vertex (nothing to do with 'wall advantage').

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Note also that even if the W4-X4 wall did not exists, the unit moving into X3 would still get the wall TEM from the W4-X3 wall from an attack from W5.

B9.31:
"...A target unit not claiming WA receives only in-hex TEM, but may instead use wall/hedge TEM vs enemy units which do not have WA over the hexside..."

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
W5 can fire on X3 which gets Wall TEM. So.......................

Seems to me the whole WA stuff is really only about ADJACENT units (except Bocage). Which makes sense. Some lead-in for the 9.32 WA rule would have been useful.
"Wall Advantage rules are used for managing Fire over a Wall between units in ADJACENT hexes and managing Fire into/from Bocage."

Last edited:

Houtje

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands

Seems to me the whole WA stuff is really only about ADJACENT units. Which makes sense. Some lead-in for the 9.32 WA rule would have been useful.
"Wall Advantage rules are used for managing Fire over a Wall between units in ADJACENT hexes"
Well, I'm not saying the RAW couldn't be improved upon, but WA also impacts a lot of situations involving non-ADJACENT (and non-adjacent, I suppose) hexes. E.g. (when Bocage is in effect) dropping WA to suddenly be out of LOS of non-adjacent enemy units.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden

Seems to me the whole WA stuff is really only about ADJACENT units. Which makes sense.
Not only, when Bocage is involved WA matters even between non-adjacent hexes /units.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Yeah, Bocage changes things, but otherwise, WA matters mainly between adjacent units. I wish it was spelled out more clearly in the rules; I seem to remember it was something I struggled with when learning the game (though I also seem to remember the WA rules were changed between 1st and 2nd edition).

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yeah, Bocage changes things, but otherwise, WA matters mainly between adjacent units. I wish it was spelled out more clearly in the rules; I seem to remember it was something I struggled with when learning the game (though I also seem to remember the WA rules were changed between 1st and 2nd edition).
And again in 2008, with the pages (B9, B10, B10A, and B10B) included in ASL Action Pack 4.