Dash -

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
My interpretation and look at what the Perry said in the Q&A (and what is in the RB)
What is in the RB and what PS are 2 different things.

P8 to P7 No as being at the end of a road is not on the Opposite side,
This is no different than the L10 to M9 example.
CC4 to CC6 Yes.
No one seemed to take this one on... I'm confused why you said yes on this one. it crosses nothing.
Since this DASH doesn't cross anything it should be a no, BUT the rule EX states "None of this would change if the road ended..."
Just as it does in the image. Why should that be a legal Dash? Its a road location. (crossing no depiction)

FF4 to FF5 No as in answer from Perry and again you are not on the opposite side.

If you are going to argue that the center dot is on the opposite side. the unit does not stay on the opposite side as the center dot of the final hex.
Another one your colleagues ignored.
you do indeed cross the road. All examples seem to answer about the center dot (which the rule doesn't reference) ...This crosses the opposite side of EE5 road, but runs back down it.

Rules don't say it has to ...just that it crossed to the other side. The unit has crossed the other side of the road.

X16 to Y15 Yes.
This one still confuses me. It crosses the left side of the road "finger" but not the right side.
By the Q&A this should be a NO.

K20 to K22 yes
Again, doesn't cross both sides of the road in the hex.

The rule references ROAD LOCATION. Each of the examples have road locations in the center hex in question.

4.63 DASH: Infantry may declare a Dash through a road Location if it declares
a Dash move to a particular Location prior to moving, and then moves
from a non-Open Ground Location on one side of the road directly into the
road and then directly into a non-Open Ground Location on the other side of
the road

This game is abstracted in almost every aspect of application.
Red arrow is the unit moving.
K21 is the road location that it wishes to Dash through.
(we know all the units from K20 aren't on top of the center dot, Game abstraction)
"other Side" is pretty simple... facing the K21 hex, there are 3 hexes on the top side of the Dash through Hex (purple circles)
And 3 starred hexes on the OTHER side of the K21 hex (containing the road)
The black bar splits it in half...one side and the opposite side in relation to the Road Location.
All of the Stars are on the opposite side of the road location.
Dashing to them should be legal.

Seems like the location doesn't really need to exist in the rule but rather depiction. Maybe they are being used interchangeably, but it certainly isn't clear. And if it concerns the road ending in the hex as with CC5 road location (barely entering the hex), the unit isn't crossing a damn thing, but he can be considered (game abstraction) as being in the road location.
Just as the unit Dashing through the woods EX can simply move into the woods portion and not be shot at in OG although we all know he crosses the road somewhere.

As by many of the posts not addressing the other examples, it's not so easy to discern...whereas identifying the hex as having a road location "anywhere" in the hex is far simpler.

The unit is Moving from a location on one side of the road (location) to the other side of the road (location) as described in the purple and white identified hexes.

Just something else to argue over in a game whether it touches or crosses a road, when the example doesn't suggest that.

Thanks to the responders that answered the L10 image.

Attachments

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
View attachment 21442 View attachment 21443

Are either of these legal Dashes?

If you think N10 is Legal why not L10?
The interpretation of legal road hexes doesn't stop....it's worse than the routing answers I read all the time....
IF the actual rule were interpreted as road LOCATION instead of depiction...it exponentially simplifies the rule.
No to both - but those images are the same two dashes :).

Already said I think N10 to M9 via M10 is legal because it crosses the road (ie - unambiguously, without a doubt, can't accompolish it any other way). By 'crosses' the road I mean moves FROM a hex on one side of road TO a hex on the other side of the road. This to me seems like the obvious intent of the rule, worded as best and as clearly as Don Greenwood could manage it. By interpreting it that way I've yet to have a single ambiguous situation occur that I can recall. Therefore, I think it's a solid interpretation. Not an official one, not even an 'expert' one - just one that works and makes sense to me. With some of the wacky situations your interpretation makes legal, it's a wonder you haven't been hit by a car yet! ;)

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I use a very simple rule of thumb.

1. Is the hex that the unit is crossing a road location? Hexes containing buildings are not road locations, and cannot be dashed across. Provided condition 2 is met, it is possible to dash across woods/road or orchard road hexes.
  2. Is it possible to reach the hex at the other side of the road via one intervening hex without crossing the road depiction? If the answer to this is "no", then dash is allowed.
So in this diagram:

dash is not possible to any of the locations containing white stars. L21 and K22 could both be reached without crossing the road depiction and J21 has the additional problem that it is part of the same road.

I am not saying that this is specifically stated in the rulebook but it works for me.

Last edited:

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
IF the actual rule were interpreted as road LOCATION instead of depiction...it exponentially simplifies the rule.
Wouldn't that just let one Dash straight down a street though?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
So at what point does this thread need to be moved from the answered PerrySez subforum to the main body of the rulz discussion subforum?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
As people have developed a series of debates from the original Perry Sez, I moved the thread out of the Unofficial Perry Sez folder to the Rules and errata one.
I would invite SSlunt to repost his OP in the Perry Sez one.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
#1 is not legal.
#2-5 are legal.

#6 is not legal no matter where the road ends.
....Perry

MMP

View attachment 21413

Dash 1
Dash 2 (Yes)
Dash 3
Dash 4
Dash 5
Dash 6 - what if the road ended in CC8
Yes, notice how dashes 2-5 actually cross a road.
Reminds me of this hilarious joke I thought of once. It was the perfect response for the age old question “Why did the chicken cross the road?” I remember having a good laugh but then I (sorry) forgot the punch line. True story.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Yes, notice how dashes 2-5 actually cross a road.
Reminds me of this hilarious joke I thought of once. It was the perfect response for the age old question “Why did the chicken cross the road?” I remember having a good laugh but then I (sorry) forgot the punch line. True story.
That's OK. I have lost most of the 70's, and I suspect for the same reason you are losing your jokes.....

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I just play the depiction governs the dash.

I know it isn't in the rules, but makes things clear.
This.

For a Dash, you have to traverse the the road artwork from one side to the other, while the possibilty of doing so without traversing the road artwork at the same time precludes Dash.

von Marwitz