Dash Legality

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm sorry, but I think my interpretation is in the rules. See the last sentence of the first A4.63 EX, "None of this would change if the road ended in BB7".
As for what I think from one side to the other means, I tried to formalize it in this post.
I've submitted a Q&A too, and I'll change my mind if I'm wrong.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
It seems as though the SCOASL may have declined to put our case on the docket... :(

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Dash rule states:

4.63 DASH: Infantry may declare a Dash through a road Location if it declares a Dash move to a particular location prior to moving, and then moves from a non-Open Ground Location on one side of the road directly into the road and then directly into a non-Open Ground Location on the other side of the road provided the normal MF expenditure for this two-hex move is ≤ the unit's available MF. [errata included] For purposes of determining the legality of a Dash move, any Location out of the LOS of a firer is also considered a non-Open Ground Location.

With that in mind, can a Unit under any circumstances declare a Dash from 24N5 --> N6 --> M7.

Why or why not?

Thanks,

Commie
It’s about as close as you can get to a dash without actually being one. No road is crossed.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
The road he is dashing across is O7-M6. Show me in the rules where it says the road must extend into M6 & I may reconsider my answer.
  1. Is there a road in M6 that emenates from O7?
  2. Is there a rule the road must exit the opposite hexside as the road enters the hex from?
  3. At which point is a LOS/LOF drawn to for a Dash and if so does the shot and position of the target qualify as crossing that road (or portion)? :unsure:
Rule is not portraying the "chicken crossed the ACTUAL road depiction"
Rule could EASILY say that, yet it doesn't COWTRA...AND it looks like Road Location is the rule not the artwork.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
[EDIT-NOTE] I also believe Perry's answer in the Q&A A4.63 & A11.8 noted by Scott is incorrect (not the fist time a Q&A has been interpreted wrong predicated upon poor judgement of the situation presented or incomplete reading of an entire rule including the examples at the time) as it violates A4.63 EXAMPLE when it states, "None of this would change if the road ended in BB7...".
Clearly you only need to enter the road hex. as per the example, as dumb as it may seem, "examples are the rules"
I'm running across the SMALLEST SMIDGEN of a road hex...and dashing.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Addendum,
Some seem to think that you have to "cross" a road to get the benefit of a DASH.

So, exiting one hex crossing the nonroad portion of the hex (could be snow)and moving into a road Hex (depiction is NEVER used)
, and entering the non road portion of the "other side" of that road (again maybe snow)

Is somehow a better representation of running down a paved road which actually MAXIMIZES your speed to cross the ROAD HEX. And by going slower across the road HEX somehow imparts a better defensive stance then sprinting down a road?

GOT IT!!

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
View attachment 17556
Dash is possible. See the A4.63 example, where a unit is Dashing from CC8 to AA7. The last sentence is "None of this would change if the road ended in BB7, or if there were another road running from AA7 to CC8."
I'm late to this thread and I assume that there has been no response to the Q&A?

I'm not sure that this question has not already been answered in the Q&A that has already been referred to and which, in my view, is consistent with the EX in the rulebook. I have done a screenshot showing them side by side for ease of reference.

So let's assume that the 467 in CC8 is the equivalent of a unit in G7 in the second example. We can examine the "road ending in BB7" situation first. In that scenario, the 467 is directly opposite AA7 and must therefore cross the road to reach it in a two hex path. Therefore it meets the criteria for dash movement. In the Q&A, a unit in G7 is not on the other side of the road from anything unless that road were to extend into M7 or F7. It can reach either F7 or H8 crossing one hex without having to cross the road whereas in the original rulebook example it can't: it can only reach its destination two hexes away by crossing BB7.
Turning to the hypothetical road running from AA7 to CC8 in the original rulebook EX, the equivalent in the Q&A would have the existing road running into G7 but there would also be a road running from F7 to H8. This is the road that would be crossed to allow dash movement.

Turning to the OP, I would say that dash isn't allowed because M5 to N7 isn't crossing a road. There is a "two hex" path to M7 through M6 and therefore doesn't meet the necessary criterion to be considered to be eligible for dash movement. If the road extended from N6 to M6, dash would be allowed.

Last edited: