Darrel Wright's ASL Estate: Help with assessing value

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Is it just me or do these prices that we are accepting as reasonable seem outrages? Every one of these things is reprintable. I see no reason the owners of the copywrites shouldn't reprint if they could get half that amount for a run?
They are only outrageous because ASLers quickly become completists (for some reason) and dive into eBay and bid things to crazy prices. However, most of the items above are on the top of the long out of print and well made (not counting counter fetish) items so command the most money. There is tpp stuff now that losses 3/4 of its value as soon as you open the package and never will be worth anything. The effort to redu these items is not worth the effort so the above will always have an allure to the collecting side of ASL and will pay “crazy” prices. I’ve taken a long term approach to outlive most of you and buy all the goodies at the end for cheap.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Prices are not "crazy" if someone's willing to pay for it. Technically they are called "market price" if there exists a population who can afford it, even when I personally can't.

I just ain't part of that market.

Rooster2k

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
They are only outrageous because ASLers quickly become completists (for some reason) and dive into eBay and bid things to crazy prices. However, most of the items above are on the top of the long out of print and well made (not counting counter fetish) items so command the most money. There is tpp stuff now that losses 3/4 of its value as soon as you open the package and never will be worth anything. The effort to redu these items is not worth the effort so the above will always have an allure to the collecting side of ASL and will pay “crazy” prices. I’ve taken a long term approach to outlive most of you and buy all the goodies at the end for cheap.
I can see this but it should be in MMps best interest to keep at least the core units in stock as close to all the time as possible.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Comrades,

I helped Anthony F & Jeremy M. with the sad duty of going through Darrell's ASL collection yesterday. We sorted out the rarer items and we are hoping we could get assistance assessing the value of these items.

I contacted the mods in advance of this posting to get approval for posting this and they graciously agreed. Thanks to @Jazz & @Bishop

All counters are punched but not clipped

Time on Target Issue 1
Time on Target Issue 2 (German Rare Vehicles complete, punched)
Time on Target Issue 3 (British Rave Vehicles--only the Ram Kangaroos were present. We could not locate the OP Tanks)
HoB Black SS counters & MMP Black SS counters--these are mixed and will be sold as a set
MMP A Bridge Too Far--Map only
MMP Blood Reef Tarawa--Map only
MMP Blood Reef Tarawa--complete in shrink
ASL Annual 92
ASL Annual 93a
ASL Annual 93b
ASL Journal 9 (Suicide Creek, complete and unpunched)
Bounding Fire Productions Hell on Wheels (first pack they ever did)
Kakazu Ridge--map and Chapter Z
Riley's Road--map and Chapter Z
Edson's Ridge--map and Chapter Z
Primisol Bridge--map and Chapter Z
VotG complete unpunched x2

If we made any errors in the above contents (especially ToT) please let us know.

We found a buyer for the remainder of the set.

No offers accepted until we have a good understanding of the value. All proceeds go to Darrell's Estate per NC Law the proceeds are disbursed to his father. I met him at the funeral and I saw where Darrell got his kindness and class.

Regards,

Doug
You are a good man.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
How does MMP plan to build it's customer base if it is impossible to start because you can't buy the parts you need? I have heard people complain about piracy and copywrite infringement but that means there is a market. How do they expect to fill that market?
Last thing I read (IIRC) is that the counters are at the printer for BV, so it won't be long until it is available again. And at least currently, the ASLRB is in stock.

Then there is VASL.

But I concede that you have a point.

von Marwitz

Rooster2k

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
[QUOTE="

Then there is VASL.

But I concede that you have a point.

von Marwitz[/QUOTE]
I have seen people here complain that the people playing VASL that don't own the games are in violation. To me, that would be like saying if you don't own a copy of Risk or Monopoly you can't play them at a friends house either.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I have seen people here complain that the people playing VASL that don't own the games are in violation. To me, that would be like saying if you don't own a copy of Risk or Monopoly you can't play them at a friends house either.
As long as one of the VASL players owns the scenario and parts to play it, your comparison holds. If neither does, your comparison falls apart. -- jim

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I agree with Jim that if one of the players owns the scenario, then all is well. And I believe this could be true in about 80% of the cases with the other 20% being obscure or OoP stuff that might come up in some tournament selections.

But even then, I believe that MMP understands pretty well the service that VASL does for its business. It is a hub to get players together and to get new players involved, taught, conntected, and hooked. I am convinced that the overall positive effect that VASL has on MMP's business exceeds the negative one that is a result of people being able to play stuff they don't own because they don't want to spend the money on it or cannot buy because it is OoP or unavailable.

IMHO a case of live and let live that works quite well for all parties involved.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Rooster2k

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
As long as one of the VASL players owns the scenario and parts to play it, your comparison holds. If neither does, your comparison falls apart. -- jim
Agreed but how do we determine that? We are pretty much on an honor system
I agree with Jim that if one of the players owns the scenario, then all is well. And I believe this could be true in about 80% of the cases with the other 20% being obscure or OoP stuff that might come up in some tournament selections.

But even then, I believe that MMP understands pretty well the service that VASL does for its business. It is a hub to get players together and to get new players involved, taught, conntected and hooked. I am convinced that the overall positive effect that VASL has on MMP's business exceeds the negative one that is a result of people being able to play stuff they don't own because they don't want to spend the money on it or cannot buy because it is OoP or unavailable.

IMHO a case of live and let live that works quite well for all parties involved.

von Marwitz
Agreed.

PabloGS

Reaction score
Country
llChile
How does MMP plan to build it's customer base if it is impossible to start because you can't buy the parts you need? I have heard people complain about piracy and copywrite infringement but that means there is a market. How do they expect to fill that market?
The core sets and rules are reprinted so that is the way to start.

New HASL come out as well, but they do not get usually reprinted. Notable exception is Red Barricades, coming soon with its 3rd reprint.

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Been away for awhile. What happened to Darrel? Always sad to hear an ASL comrade has left us..

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Wow. Any idea what happened, heart attack, annuerrism, ??
They did and autopsy but no results yet. Nothing to say anything other than "natural causes" at this point according to the other thread I linked. -- jim

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Comrades,

I helped Anthony F & Jeremy M. with the sad duty of going through Darrell's ASL collection yesterday.
I find this extremely sorrowful to think about. Thanks for doing this for his family.

Though I would have needed (lots) of drinks if I were so tasked.........

Peace

Roger

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
not the thread for this post..... IMHO anyway..........